15 replies to this topic

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare

Overwatch-Logo-01-600x323.jpg

Overwatch. Blizzard's first brand new IP since Starcraft was released in March of 1998. The title debuted at the 2014 Blizzcon in Anaheim California. Originally conceived as an MMO, the project was reset in 2013. The game will mark Blizzard's first released FPS and is drastically different from their other IPs. It will be the first earth centric title and takes a more "colorful" art direction with similarities to Pixar films. There is also a clear indication that Blizzard is prepared to create strong female characters among more diverse heroes. Of the twelve initially released heroes, five of them were female with Tracer becoming an instant icon as the game's main protagonist. 

The game has taken criticism already, being dubbed as a vertical Team Fortress 2. Jeff Kaplan (the game's director) addressed this, saying, "There's some similarities .... but we're going in a different design direction then they are". He goes on to say, "All of us have been conditioned from recent shooters that are out ... Overwatch is about these amazing hero abilities. It's not about running around and putting people under your crossheirs." Reports from those who have played this game at the 2014 Blizzcon have suggested a close tie-in with TF2, but we have only seen the beginning of this project. It wouldn't be the first time Blizzard has taken and improved upon someone else's genre...

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
Exalted.GM.nightmare

Not the strongest [MT] we have, but I wanted to keep it short and give an official place to drop that Overwatch news!

Here is a couple of good videos I have found to get you started.

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
Exalted.GM.nightmare

Despite having little information available, there are a fair amount of podcasts out there for Overwatch. I like Overwatchers in particular. And I just wanted to point I got a little shout out by Patrick Beja in Ep. 2 around the 12 minute mark...

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

*Listening to ep 2 between 11.30 - 12.30 just the hear the shoutout".

Yup, at exactly 12.19 Sarnakyle gets a shoutout!

Sarn fighting!!!!

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
Exalted.GM.nightmare

two more Overwatchers episodes have been posted. These will be the last two for a while form Garrett and Patrick, at least until we get more information. Sooo... Ep. 4 is a all listeners questions episode and I may have gotten the first spot :D I also think that Ep. 3 was much better then the first two. They have clearly done more homework for these episodes. 

Eremite

Eremite
  • Global Moderator
  • 430 posts
  • Location - Hawaii
Exalted.master

Overwatch Trademark suspended by USPTO!

http://overwatch.bli...-for-overwatch/

The only conclusion I can reach based on this news is that Overwatch is scrapped and they'll have to resume work on Titan the MMO again.

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

Overwatch Trademark suspended by USPTO!

http://overwatch.bli...-for-overwatch/

The only conclusion I can reach based on this news is that Overwatch is scrapped and they'll have to resume work on Titan the MMO again.

We can only hope.

Id laugh if the kid doesnt take Blizzards offer to buy the Trademark from him.

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Would suck if they'd change the name.

I don't believe they will though. It's not likely that Blizzard's trademark attorney (Rigole) did not know of the other trademark, before filling Blizzard's. If the priority trademark is indeed regarding this app, then Blizzard can probably easily negotiate with the owners to drop it or whatever other legal steps need to be taken. They probably already have and this is just a small, expected, bump.

I don't think it's going to be Blizzard Dota all over again, as negotiating with Valve is obviously harder than with the owner of a semi-active, obscure and very niche iPhone app.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum

This game looks fun. :)

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

He returns :o

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal

This game looks fun. :)

!

Next thing you know we will get a drive-by post by Witchy

jonnyshiz

jonnyshiz
  • Early Adopter
  • 382 posts
  • Location - Irvine, CA
Exalted.gold

Man .. I can't wait for this. Thread is short, but straight to the point and I enjoyed all those videos. GJ Sarn

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal
I hope we'll get some progress update today on Pax East!

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Fall Beta. :( Was hoping to be sooner.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

jonnyshiz

jonnyshiz
  • Early Adopter
  • 382 posts
  • Location - Irvine, CA
Exalted.gold

Fall Beta. :( Was hoping to be sooner.

Darn, well at least it's .. happening.  :smoke:

MasterMason

MasterMason
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Overwatch-Logo-01-600x323.jpg

Overwatch. Blizzard's first brand new IP since Starcraft was released in March of 1998. The title debuted at the 2014 Blizzcon in Anaheim California. Originally conceived as an MMO, the project was reset in 2013. The game will mark Blizzard's first released FPS and is drastically different from their other IPs. It will be the first earth centric title and takes a more "colorful" art direction with similarities to Pixar films. There is also a clear indication that Blizzard is prepared to create strong female characters among more diverse heroes. Of the twelve initially released heroes, five of them were female with Tracer becoming an instant icon as the game's main protagonist.

So instead of continuing with Titan, they are making another TF2 clone? really?

I mean I understand that the MMORPG market is kind of saturated, but is it really the right thing to do to then switch into a 5v5 shooter?

dont think this will work for them