Kotaku speculates about Titan

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Vindris

Vindris
  • Early Adopter
  • 13 posts
Friendly

On their resume, a Blizzard staffer states that they "are working a top-secret project to be unveiled sometime in 2014." The most likely candidates are probably another World of Warcraft or Diablo expansion (Blizzard recently polled fans about the latter), but I have to wonder if we might finally see something from the mythic Project Titan.

While initially intended as a followup MMO to World of Warcraft, Blizzard went back to the drawing board on Titan — which has been in the works since 2006 or so — and restarted the game's development last year, culling the Titan team's size from 100 to 30. Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime later admitted Titan was no longer a subscription-based MMO like World of Warcraft.

At last year's BlizzCon, Morhaime told IGN the current version of Titan "is pretty different from what [Blizzard] originally set out to do," which makes me suspect the game may no longer be an MMO at all. In today's marketplace, developing and launching a capital-intensive massively multiplayer project is a much more precarious proposition than it was a decade ago. Following the decision to rescope Titan, the longtime "Next-Gen MMO" category on Blizzard's job page disappeared, but soon thereafter an "Unannounced Game Title" category appeared.

A lead producer opening currently in the "Unannounced Game Title" category curiously contains the copy "With Hearthstone, Blizzard has revived its tradition of creating small and nimble game teams and [the unannounced project team is] following in those footsteps." A level designer opening on the team talks up "competitive multi-player games" and "game maps," suggesting a game at least more like Heroes of the Storm than Hearthstone. Although Blizzard's existing AAA brands are not going away anytime soon, there seems to be a trend at Blizzard toward less costly, smaller future projects, and my suspicion is that Titan, assuming it is still in development in some form, might have transformed to a title on the scale of Hearthstone or Heroes of the Storm.

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

I still hope that Titan is an MMO, I am looking for my next MMO to spend years in and I'd love to have it from Blizzard again :)

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal
Well, resume part seems ironclad everything else is speculation :p He seems to be mixing up Mike Booth's game with whatever Titan (if it's still Titan, which it probably isn't) is. As far as we know, the team is still led by Jeff Kaplan and if he was moved from it it would have been big news everywhere, which it wasn't. There are also signs that at least some people who were moved to help out with other projects a year ago are back on Titan now. I will post why I think that a little bit later because doing so on ipad is a miserable experience.

Saw another post on a lesser known gaming website that according to an insider Titan will be revealed this year. It makes sense since they are calling it the biggest Blizzcon ever and the developers are hyping it up way more than I ever remember them doing. I would just advise everyone to keep heir hype in check in regards to what the game is or isn't. Hopefully we will be hearing more about this. I would also like to point out that they NEVER reveal new games at Blizzcon paradoxically. Expansions really don't count. I would fully expect if not an announcement at least a teaser before November.

Anyway, very exciting regardless that we are seeing some movement and rumour mill spinning again.

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
Exalted.GM.normal
I have to say. I don't envy the guy who fucked up this bad and mentioned a game reveal in 2014 on his LinkedIn page. At least the game reveal part is about 90% certain now, right? I can't make it to this Blizzcon unfortunately sigh.

sayaf

sayaf
  • Early Adopter
  • 19 posts
Friendly

Biggest blizzcon ever? that's interesting. Curious, When did they say that? I remember last year when Morhaime said blizzcon is coming back with vengeance!

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

I have to say. I don't envy the guy who fucked up this bad and mentioned a game reveal in 2014 on his LinkedIn page. At least the game reveal part is about 90% certain now, right? I can't make it to this Blizzcon unfortunately sigh.

TF chat is where all the fun is on Blizzcon!

:D

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
Exalted.GM.normal

May as well post the image for extra hype.

CsgEKEN.jpg

Also poor guy deleted his profile now even after he edited that part out :o Blizzard PR is scary, we should call the police. 

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

May as well post the image for extra hype.

CsgEKEN.jpg

Also poor guy deleted his profile now even after he edited that part out :o Blizzard PR is scary, we should call the police. 

I truly feel sorry for the guy.

He looks like a nice guy that only wanted to write a good resumé :(

The biggest tell that it's a new game he is talking about is the fact that he says "top-secret project". No dev working on xpacks to already known franchises will write like that. 

Either he is trying to be funny (which I doubt since this is his resumé) or it's the real deal which I believe it to be.

jezbelle

jezbelle
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
Friendly

Whatever is being announced, I cannot see it being an MMO. It's simply too soon. Nor could it be the game that Titan has evolved into.

Are there people actually considering this?

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare

Are there people actually considering this?

I am. 

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

jonnyshiz

jonnyshiz
  • Early Adopter
  • 382 posts
  • Location - Irvine, CA
Exalted.gold

Of course they would announce this top-secretness the year I can't make it to blizzcon.

Damn you blizzy, damn you. I'll just show up for the after parties, pretend like I was there for the unveiling.  "I know right, how shocked were you?!"

jezbelle

jezbelle
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
Friendly

I am. 

I'm curious... what's your rationale? They have obviously just reset it. At most they're doing concept art! :)

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare

I'm curious... what's your rationale? They have obviously just reset it. At most they're doing concept art! :)

I highly, HIGHLY doubt that concept art and lore were scraped with the reset. To go that far wouldn't entail a reset, they would have just nuked the project entirely. Also, as a means of recovering costs, it makes sense to keep what you can. 

I also am convinced that this thing is not an MMO anymore and thus will have a shorter Development cycle. Factor in saved artwork, lore, possibly some tech, and they are technically a couple years onto development. This game probably could be launched (or at least be in beta) by 2016. 

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Odysseus

Odysseus
  • Early Adopter
  • 129 posts
Exalted.silver

I highly, HIGHLY doubt that concept art and lore were scraped with the reset. To go that far wouldn't entail a reset, they would have just nuked the project entirely. Also, as a means of recovering costs, it makes sense to keep what you can.

What if it was a game made using the lore and concepts for Project Titan, but not Titan itself? Like a much smaller scale 'spin-off,' maybe even different genre, to give people a taste of what is coming with Titan itself (presuming it is still a large-scale project/MMO), something like HALO: ODST vs. Halo 4.

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

I wonder when we will see the opening cinematic. Seems like that is what he is working on. 

I hope the hype train by Blizzard begins late summer.

jezbelle

jezbelle
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
Friendly

I also am convinced that this thing is not an MMO anymore and thus will have a shorter Development cycle. Factor in saved artwork, lore, possibly some tech, and they are technically a couple years onto development. This game probably could be launched (or at least be in beta) by 2016. 

Oh please! So they were supposed to have said NUKE if they meant bigger? Not reset? ;)

The concept art and designs don't take very long. It is very likely that this is the first thing they scrapped. This is blizzard, they don't half-ass things to save a little money. Particularly if the game changed so dramatically as to shift genre from an MMO.

We all re-used our essays in high school i'm sure... blizzard is not the same.

I tend to agree with the OP, that this was such a big game that they couldn't do it. All the signs point to a humungous Starcraft inspired sci-fi game. If they have scaled it back now, they are likely going to adopt the name starcraft, and make it an MMO similar to WoW. "what they do best" like someone said before.

Gutengutter

Gutengutter
  • Early Adopter
  • 16 posts
Honored

I agree with Sarnakyle. There seems to be a very good chance we'll know what the successor to Titan is at the end of the year. It seems like a teaser at E3 is even possible. There's no way Titan's development would've continued for 6+ years if they didn't at least have a solid concept with lore. Even if the game isn't an MMO(which seems likely), there's a very good chance the characters and world(s) would be the same.

What's really interesting about this whole thing is it comes down to how you define a game's development. For example, Half-Life 2 and CS: Source are made on the same engine. Did Half-Life 2's development begin with the source engine's development or when the devs began to build the levels/cutscenes themselves? The original Dota was developed on the W3 engine, does that mean its development began at the beginning of W3?

For all we know they could've had an entire engine ready to go or one of the game's possible "modes" ready and then decided to scale the game down. The interview Mike Morhaime gave at the last Blizzcon made it sound like they'd reached a definitive decision on how the project was to proceed. They could've scraped the entire game and then immediately begun building art models for an already existing engine. They could've broken the game down into several projects and on and on.