WoW breaking --> Titan hurried along?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

jezbelle

jezbelle
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
Friendly

I'd like to share the most recent development in World of Warcraft.

Soon, you'll be able to pay Blizzard $60.00 for a level 90 character.

(http://www.gamespot....r/1100-6418216/)

Shameful! I know! BTW, $60.00 is a lot cheaper than leveling your own character from 1-90! So yes, most will pay it.

In my opinion, this is the very foundation of WoW breaking apart. They are making a last ditch effort to attract players. After this though, what do they have left? If they hurry everyone to endgame, people will be dropping faster than ever before. 

This is good news. As I pointed out in the last post, I believe that WoW's demise will signal the birth of Titan.

While their strategy might attract new players (unheard of now), IMO it will also serve to deplete their loyal player base which has been married to the game for so long, and who have been keeping us Titan folk back.

What do you guys think?

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

WoW will die a slow and long Death. The fact of the matter is that even as the Subs keep dropping, it will continue to make them a Hamsters rock, Squirrels suck! load of money. They can aford to create new expansions as they see fit because they have the process and experience nailed down to a fine art that it doesnt cost them a great deal of money (at least not like it would have). So with that in mind WoW is their buffer until such a time that it can be properly replaced, after that who knows.

WoW is dieing, but Blizzard will do everything in their Power to stop or at least slow that down and they have the experience and resources to do that. As for its demise being a prelude to Titans arrival, that could be entirely possible, but if i were a betting man id put my money on that Blizzard is counting on WoW to stick around long enough that the 2 can co-exist. At least until they are sure that Titan has captured the losses WoW would certainly attain from the Release of Titan.

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

I would agree with Devil, Blizz are 100% aware that WoW is dying off. Whether this is a prelude to Titan or not? We can't know for certain. We may hear some more at Blizzcon 2014 or even 2015.

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

Stompalomp

Stompalomp
  • Early Adopter
  • 102 posts
  • Location - UK
Exalted

I personally believe that the 90 boost is a pretty terrible idea.  Yet again it is Blizz pandering to the "I want it all and I want it now" crowd within WoW, to whom spending time or effort on anything is an anathema. 

Having said that, I agree with Devil, that WoW will die a long and slow death, and Blizz will milk that decline for all its worth.  It is interesting that in addition to the $60 boost, the price of the next expansion has risen significantly compared to previous expansions.  What this tells me (if I'm being cynical) is that Blizz is well aware that WoW is dying, and is beginning to start to introduce money making features now while sub numbers are still reasonable in the hope of farming WoW for all its worth in the short term, even if that comes at the price of further Sub losses. Blizz know that the sub losses cannot be held back for long anyway, so short term profiteering makes sense at this point.

I expect WoW to reasonably last another 2 years until it drops to critical subscriber figures (under 3-4 million subs it won't have enough subs to sustain the community, servers will begin getting closed etc, and it will become apparent to all that WoW is on its last legs). At that point I expect Blizz to announce its next MMO, in the hope of galvanising WoW and bringing back players for a year or so until its next gen MMO launches.      

jezbelle

jezbelle
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
Friendly

Devil is actually not contradicting me in any respect.

I am simply stating that I think this new change is a mistake for them, and will cause a more rapid decline in subs, thus making Titan nearer.

Valkata

Valkata
  • Early Adopter
  • 799 posts
  • Location - EU
  • BT - Jasius#1148
Exalted.master

Or the game is just unfinished yet, and WoW's death would leave Blizzard with no MMO at all.

Which is the case here I think, it's hard to believe that they would delay it on purpose... what's the difference - making money of WoW or Titan.

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum

I predict WoW can last on alone for another 5 years, some time before this Titan will come to be, WoW will drastically become reduced to just a few servers so it feels less empty and it'll serve as a nostalgic service that people may go to on anniversaries of the game just for some casual fun events. Once Titan has come to be, WoW will remain, just like the original Halo servers remained and were fairly attended for quite some time.

It's funny, I still think back sometimes and remember fond memories I have of losing myself in that game, it was a haven from a life I didn't enjoy so much... now things are much better and I don't need that - but it still holds a warm place in my heart.

Everything will be clear in time.

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

Jerohmeee

Jerohmeee
  • Early Adopter
  • 3 posts
Friendly

No doubt WoW has gone on stronger than most anticipated, including Blizzard. I agree that time will ultimately win the battle over WoW. Subs are going to go up for Warlords of Draenor, like it does for every expansion release. However, after sometime WOD is out, subs will continue to fall. I am guessing down to 5 million.

IDK though, I could see 3-4 million going for 5 years. People like MMORPG's and as long as WoW is the best on the planet its going to hold a good amount of subs.

Now once Titan comes out, I could see the number dipping under 3-4 million. However, I don't see Titan coming out till 2018-19. If they really went back to the drawing board for Titan in 2013 than 2014 is the year they are just starting to gain traction again with this game. Add on 4 years of development time... any delays and you could have a release in 2019.

WoW continues to impress though, with its longevity. I know its popular to hate on WoW, but damn did Blizzard make a good product in World of Warcraft... they deserve every red cent they make on that game. I no longer play WoW, but I could honestly say its easily the best game I have ever played.

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

No doubt WoW has gone on stronger than most anticipated, including Blizzard. I agree that time will ultimately win the battle over WoW. Subs are going to go up for Warlords of Draenor, like it does for every expansion release. However, after sometime WOD is out, subs will continue to fall. I am guessing down to 5 million.

IDK though, I could see 3-4 million going for 5 years. People like MMORPG's and as long as WoW is the best on the planet its going to hold a good amount of subs.

Now once Titan comes out, I could see the number dipping under 3-4 million. However, I don't see Titan coming out till 2018-19. If they really went back to the drawing board for Titan in 2013 than 2014 is the year they are just starting to gain traction again with this game. Add on 4 years of development time... any delays and you could have a release in 2019.

WoW continues to impress though, with its longevity. I know its popular to hate on WoW, but damn did Blizzard make a good product in World of Warcraft... they deserve every red cent they make on that game. I no longer play WoW, but I could honestly say its easily the best game I have ever played.

Now that is depressing :(

Jerohmeee

Jerohmeee
  • Early Adopter
  • 3 posts
Friendly

Ha ha I knew that me saying that would upset someone. :ouch: Well, think about it... Diablo 3 was announced in June of 2008... the game didn't actually release until May of 2012. That is 4 years!

Now lets look at Project Titan... last we heard about this game they are going back to the drawing board! Ha ha hell, they might not announce this game for another 2 years. Then add on 4 and were looking at 2020 :o

Take in the fact that Diablo was just a dungeon loot game not a Huge MMO... yea, it doesn't look like were getting our hands on this game any time soon.

Now how far were they in development with the original Project Titan and then how much did they scrap and "go back to the drawing board"? We don't know...

But we do know Blizzard said... "what were doing is pretty different then what we originally set out to do."

So get comfortable boys... were here for the long haul...  :gathering:

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare

I think what is not being taken into consideration is Blizzard's response to D3 and the changes that they are currently undergoing as a company. Blizzard has hinted at the fact that D3 was in developent for too long and they are making changes to the game quickly (compaired to the original Dev cycle) that are still yielding Blizzard quality. Also, I've stated before and will say it again; Blizzard it changing. They've put out Hearthstone and Heroes in the past year and have TWO unannounced titles being worked on. They are becoming agile and it's really hard to say what this once predictable giant will do next. 

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

I really can't say too much good stuff about the agile part.

raidLength.png

I mean, they have constantly mentioned they want to reduce the time between WoW expansions; and it seems to be increasing. MoP is almost guaranteed to have a longer shelf life than Cataclysm.

Then you have Titan. No comment needed here.

Hearthstone, if I remember correctly, was 4ish years in the making? (I can't find a source at the moment, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it might be just a bad memory). During this time, the team was left without programmers for a while and they had to improvise with Flash / carton cards.

Starcraft *cough*. See rant.

Heroes of the Storm, announced in 2010, maybe will see a launch at the end of 2014.

Diablo is indeed in a good state, although we still don't have PvP. A ton of improvements have been made to the game though, at a quick pace, so I think at the moment it's actually in the best state when it comes to "quickness".

Blizzard as a whole though I definitely do not think is even remotely close to this. Probably the furthest it's ever been. However this is not something bad for them, as taking their time has worked out pretty well for them so far.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal

<Rambling>

Well........ WoW is refusing to die. Mmo's around it are crashing and burning putting out content constantly (although maybe rushed content is bad? who knows). I am convinced that subscription mmo market simply does not exist in the West and people who play WoW are WoW players not mmo players. When WoW dies, the market will go with it into oblivion. 

It appears that the character boost was pretty popular :p Their subs are down but revenues are pretty flat for online meaning people are eating up mounts and services. Draenor already SOLD, yes SOLD, not pre-ordered, over a million copies with no release date and shamelessly priced 25% above a regular expansion price. Anecdotal evidence suggests that a very high number of those pre-sales were digital deluxe edition, which costs $70.....(Well, according to this list http://www.guildox.com/go/g.aspx?a=30 13% of the playerbase with up to date armory profiles do have the collector's edition mount, this means that possibly up to half of these pre-sales were collector's edition). They can basically do whatever the Hamsters rock, Squirrels suck! they please, they have the mandate now. 

It annoys me a great deal :(

jezbelle

jezbelle
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
Friendly

Well, first of all let's agree that we haven't seen an MMO out there better than WoW yet, so understandably it's still getting the most subs. Until a game is released that rivals it, I don't think there's proof that this cult of "WoW only" players exists. ;)

Another thing to note is, these 7 million subs are not the same people who played in vanilla, who have just sworn fealty to the game. 97% of them are 'new'. Old players are leaving all the time, frustrated, and new players take their place at the bottom. Most of them are kids, fresh into high school. No one to tell them how good the game used to be. To them, its just the best game "out there".

BUT, can you honestly look 10 years into the future right now and see WoW still surviving? At least there's that.

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
Exalted.GM.normal

Another thing to note is, these 7 million subs are not the same people who played in vanilla, who have just sworn fealty to the game. 97% of them are 'new'. Old players are leaving all the time, frustrated, and new players take their place at the bottom. Most of them are kids, fresh into high school. No one to tell them how good the game used to be. To them, its just the best game "out there".

There is nothing at all out there to back up these claims :p 

jezbelle

jezbelle
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
Friendly

There is nothing at all out there to back up these claims :p

Not only do I myself back it up after 8 years playing the game, but it is common sense. Sure, the 97% figure is invented, but at least it is much less far-fetched.

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
Exalted.GM.normal
http://www.superdata...l-games-market/

WoW made over a billion in 2013. It will likely make more this year since the subs held steady and they will sell expansion (at higher price) and post expansion subscription spike.

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

Blizzard is the only Dev in the world that will ever have a chance at Topping what WoW has done in its lifetime.

Hopefully that is Titan. Only time will tell.

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
Exalted.GM.normal
So in the time we thought Blizzard had to push Titan out..........Diablo 3 sold over 20 million copies (most of the digitally too, which is high margin), Hearthstone attracted 20 million "players" on no budget and reduced WoW still made over a billion in revenue last year (if WoW manages a billion this year it will like be the last year it does so but we have an expansion pack coming out, cash shop and price increases on the actual box).

Hopefully whatever "Titan" turned into is worthwhile and since there is no pressure on the development team anymore it actually should benefit the development of the game.