Titan cannot be just an MMO

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Gutengutter

Gutengutter
  • Early Adopter
  • 16 posts
Honored

Hey guys. I've been lurking on these forums for months and just want to say that without some of the content put out by the other users I wouldn't have much of an interest in Titan or even be aware of its progress.

Based on the statements by Paul Sams which Sarnakyle mentioned in this thread, I think we must conclude Titan to be a bigger project than just that huge, awesome MMO we all want to play. The COO of Blizzard coming out and saying that he expects Titan to be growing in 15 or 20 years makes me think it will include other activities and products besides their new game. It also makes me think that the chances of seeing something Titan-related at blizzcon are very high, even if it has nothing to do with a new game and there's no apparent connection to one.

In another interview(also linked by Sarnakyle), Sams said that Titan will be more complementary, rather than competative to WoW. This reminds me of a few years ago when Mike Morhaime mentioned in a conference call that Titan would be a "casual MMO" and that WoW would still be going strong. I used to think Morhaime was just saying that to placate investors and Titan would replace WoW. But changes to battlenet, Hearthstone's announcement and the remarks by Paul Sams make me think Blizzard has much bigger plans than simply a new game.

I'll just rattle off a few things which when combined with what's been already mentioned makes much more sense.

1) Hearthstone's announcement makes the leaked product slate much more credible. I think it's likely that at the very least someone within the company made the chart and released it as a leak even if it was never actually presented in internal meetings. I want to direct your attention to the BNET 3rd parties(which was obviously canned atm) and the SC2 map market.

2) I'm in the Hearthstone beta and by extension I also have the latest BNET client. It's really convenient. I log into the client once and then I can access all my Blizzard games. Hypothetically, this would make it very easy to track achievements across games and give rewards(like a WoW pet for purching a CE in another game) as well.

3) People have put a lot of time into WoW and other games and have grown fond of their characters, items and achievements and they would want to keep them in some form or another when they turned their attention to Titan.

So, I think Titan is a platform and means to build rapport with their customers in addition to just being their new game. I think it's very likely achievements in older Blizzard titles will give some sort of rewards in Titan and I think it will be set up in such a way that their newer games will serve to complement eachother and create a more continous experience for decades to come. And I think there may even be lore crossovers between the various Blizzard properties in the future, in the same way there are lore crossovers between the various Steven King IPs in the Dark Tower Series.

WoW peaked in 2010 - about 6 years after it came out. Sure, it will make money for years to come, but it's decline has already begun. I'm no programmer or game developer, but there's simply no game in the world which can have "broad appeal" and still be growing strong 15 to 20 years in and of itself. It's just impossible to anticipate the technology and the desires of the consumer.

Edited by Gutengutter, 14 September 2013 - 04:12 AM.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

but there's simply no game in the world which can have "broad appeal" and still be growing strong 15 to 20 years in and of itself. It's just impossible to anticipate the technology and the desires of the consumer.

Runescape, Second Life, Minecraft (not yet but if developed I can easily see it reach 10+ years). Also, EVE Online may not be considered with broad appeal (although 500k+ subs ain't niche either), but it's still growing 10 years after launch.

You are right about the need for a platform in order for the game to have longevity, just maybe not about what exact platform is needed.

In my opinion, no amount of inter-connectivity between games, promotions or lore crossovers can create something that will keep players engaged for more than a few months. The platform needs to be at the core gameplay level.

I know I sound like a broken record by now, but give players the tools with which to model the world, make the world react accordingly to changes, create a scene for competition and cooperation and players will stick with your game for years and years. Theme-park content gets old even when new (how excited can you get that a new raid has been launched when you've been through this process 20 times already), but intrigue, drama, cooperation, rivalry etc do not. Base your game around these and you'll have a much more sustainable virtual world. Also, "world" also implies a certain freedom and also immersion, meaning not everything needs to be super convenient.

Anyway, I drifted a bit, but I really think this is what all the Blizzard folks like Sams were referring to when they made those statements. They've learned from WoW and are convinced that no theme-park MMO will ever even get close to its success, but they're probably tempted by the sandbox genre, a trend that's becoming more apparent among all developers (EQ Next for example).

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Gutengutter

Gutengutter
  • Early Adopter
  • 16 posts
Honored

I didn't mean to imply Titan wouldn't be a sandbox. What I'm getting at is the continued integration of BNET and Blizzard games may be used in some way to enhance the user-experience of people in the sandbox. We should also remember that themeparks can fit in a sandbox if it's big enough. People may even be able to make their own.

Runescape, Second Life, Minecraft (not yet but if developed I can easily see it reach 10+ years). Also, EVE Online may not be considered with broad appeal (although 500k+ subs ain't niche either), but it's still growing 10 years after launch.

I guess it comes down to how you define a new game vs an updated one. Technically it's Runescape 3 now. Also Second Life has a lot of inactive accounts. What I'm getting at is I could see Blizzard having a system where sandbox options are awarded for progression in other games. For example, you have a 300 wins as zerg in SC2? Here are special skins for your armor/weapon/spaceship/house/fortress/planet/pet/army/empire/solar styem/universe/etc. You don't have it? Great, here are some other things which are comparable.

I don't really know how they'd go about doing this stuff. But I think it would benefit them as a company if they set up a system which made people feel like they were progressing regardless of which Blizzard game they played. I'm not saying it would be the centerpiece of the game.

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum

I think you guys have made some good points, and I agree with all unicorns and fairies... so you're both in luck!

Personally, I think that Blizz would be missing a huge opportunity by not allowing previous game achievements to affect things in Titan. I mean, come on... there's a brand new game (Titan) and to get this skin or pet or house customisation or whatever all you have to do is play Diablo 3 through the main plotline!? "OK, I'm buying Diablo!" Would be the call of many players. There is such rich opportunity for Blizz to make money by making your achievements in their other games contribute to Titan - which could essentially act as the 'Hub' for players. By this I mean, Titan is the game most people play, but they will also play all the other Blizzard games to help them out in Titan and thus they turn a huge army of Titan players into a huge army of all things Blizzard (hard to imagine, but not all WoW players played the other games). Just imagine how much money they would have made if every WoW player bought all copies of all their main franchises, oh boy oh boy!

My prediction: They will be rooooooooolllling in it.

Okay, my next point. I feel the statement 'Titan cannot just be an MMO' is slightly sensationalist, but that's fine for thread names (like: "Wildstar - The not so serious MMO!") DIE DIE DIE BURN THE THREAD

But when we look at things through my lens of lunacy thought I see Titan still as just a game, an MMO in which players can alter the very world before them - heck, maybe they even make the world before them... Actually, no. Blizz love doing their lore as I've mentioned in the past. However, this revelation of the Blizz launcher for all their games, I think that's just the start of the idea I mentioned above about players being able to progress in some capacity in Titan through playing other Blizz games too.

NEXT:

Second Life is dead, not because of the idea... that's great! But because as soon as you log in now, it feels incredibly out of date - textures don't load, the animations are abhorent and it's just not up to scratch. Minecraft on the other hand have been doing wonders about listening to players and updating their visuals but perhaps the difference between the two is that SL was so complex and MC was so simple.

Simplicity always wins, go look at Apple. :)

Tl;dr, my post is just one long winded way of saying I agree with Gutengutter.

Thanks for reading,

- Papa Smurf.

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

Valkata

Valkata
  • Early Adopter
  • 799 posts
  • Location - EU
  • BT - Jasius#1148
Exalted.master

Watching DayZ stream... and then I just realized... DayZ and Rust games have a HUUUGE potential if done right, and since Blizzard is known for taking already existing stuff and making it the best... you think there's a chance they saw what DayZ / Rust / Minecraft even, is and realized that's the way to go? Such extremely sand box-y MMO would f-ing rock!

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare

Watching DayZ stream... and then I just realized... DayZ and Rust games have a HUUUGE potential if done right, and since Blizzard is known for taking already existing stuff and making it the best... you think there's a chance they saw what DayZ / Rust / Minecraft even, is and realized that's the way to go? Such extremely sand box-y MMO would f-ing rock!

Between Titan being quite different then it's original concept (as stated by MM) and another new project in development, I would wager your guess could have some validity. 

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Venald

Venald
  • Early Adopter
  • 13 posts
Neutral

DayZ and Rust like MMO with some (mmo)rpg elements seems very likely (atleast for me). Minecraft elements got me thinking that maybe they reseted the project because Everquest Next and the Voxel world. Seems very intresting concept for me and if i recall / know correctly you can't build like in Minecraft at DayZ (not sure about Rust). So maybe they are adding the Voxel world and Minecraft to DayZ / Rust stylized game with Blizzard stylized graphics. Imo that could sell very well if done right.