Change
Hello and welcome to Titan Focus, a fansite for Blizzard's next new major franchise! We aim to provide quality and unique info about to the game, while also supporting a strong, well mannered & bright community. Join now to help us build it! As a unique, limited-time offer, everyone that signs-up before the game is officially announced will receive a special Early Adopter rank, which includes bragging rights and many bonus features. It's a small way of saying thanks to those that help get the ball rolling. Hope you enjoy your visit!
Photo

Diablo 3 [main thread]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,643 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Diablo III is an upcoming dark fantasy/horror-themed action role-playing game in development by Blizzard, making it the third installment in theDiablo franchise. The game, which features elements of the hack and slash and dungeon crawl genres, was first announced on June 28, 2008, at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational in Paris, France.[2]

The game takes place in Sanctuary, the dark fantasy world of the Diablo series. This world was saved twenty years prior by a handful of unnamed heroes in Diablo II. Warriors who, having survived the onslaught brought by the armies of the Burning Hells, have gone mad from their ordeals. It is up to a new generation of heroes to face the forces of evil threatening the world of Sanctuary.
Players will have the opportunity to explore familiar settings such as Tristram.

Diablo III is similar in style to its predecessor, Diablo II. The proprietary engine will incorporate Blizzard's custom in-house physics, a change from the original usage of Havok's physics engine,[9]and feature destructible environments with an in-game damage effect. The developers are aiming to make the game run on a wide range of systems, and have stated that DirectX 10 will not be required.[10] Diablo III will use a custom 3D game engine[11] in order to present an overhead view to the player, in a somewhat similar way to the isometric view used in previous games in the series.[10]Enemies will utilize the 3D environment as well, in ways such as crawling up the side of a wall from the depths into the combat area.[5]

As in Diablo II, multiplayer games will be possible using Blizzard's Battle.net service,[12] with many of the new features developed for StarCraft II also available in Diablo III.[10] Players will be able to drop in and out of sessions of co-operative play with others.[13]

This is the main discussion thread for Diablo... also, if you have a useful link or text, post it and I'll add it to this message.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

philly

philly
  • Early Adopter
  • 14 posts
Friendly
I wish they would frickin' release this already - already been like, what? Over a decade since d2??

It would be fantastic if they give us a date soon, instead of their over-used, repetitious 'done when it's done' replies - but hey, this is what Blizzard is (in)famous for.

It's also quite amusing to see all the conspiracy theories about the situation in SK in regards to the RMAH ; although, that Daeity dude does make a compelling case.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,643 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
The SK RMAH issue is for sure at least one of the reasons D3 got delayed. There are a lot of facts that support this theory (as shown by Daeity in his posts) and Blizzard should really just admit it that it is one of the main reasons they pushed D3's release into 2012.

As for when we'll get a launch date, there's a small chance our wait might end this week. Depends on the response they get from the SK review board. That's probably why they keep postponing the D3 15 year celebrations.

We'll see soon enough. :)

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,643 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
Well this doesn't look good: http://www.koreatime...123_102230.html

The Game Rating Board, government agency responsible for approving and classifying video games, sees no end in sight for a decision an entire legion of fans anxiously awaits.

Though a ruling on the third and latest in the series of global bestseller Diablo was rumored to be due today, the board spokesman said Tuesday there were no signs suggesting a definitive answer.

“Committee members are conflicted about what to do with Diablo 3,” he said, “because of (its American developer) Blizzard’s information on the game’s ‘auction house’ feature.”

We'll probably get just a new wallpaper this week. :D

philly

philly
  • Early Adopter
  • 14 posts
Friendly

Well this doesn't look good: http://www.koreatime...123_102230.html

We'll probably get just a new wallpaper this week. :D

Ouch...and the CEO actually flew half-around the globe just to be there; it really must show the magnitude of this situation.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,643 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
Diablo 3 approved for South Korea -> http://daeity.blogsp...outh-korea.html

Incoming release date next week? :D

rs10rs10

rs10rs10
  • Early Adopter
  • 302 posts
  • Location - Denmark
  • BT - Rs10#2467
Exalted.platinum
Awesome! I can't wait :)

"Rogues guard the secrets to poison-making carefully, lest magi start incorporating poison into their spells. Poisonbolt? Rain of Poison? Poison Elemental? Nobody wants that."

Draykorinee

Draykorinee
  • Early Adopter
  • 60 posts
  • Location - Brighton, uk
Honored
Yeah im really excited, I can tell now that WoW is slowing down for the expac, I think this will be a nice filler for me, and most importantly it didnt cost me a thing :p

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,643 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
Diablo 3 release date rumored to be April 17th! We'll probably find out for sure first thing next week, at CeBIT or just through an ordinary press release.

Was expecting a May launch, but I'm definitely not complaining!

rs10rs10

rs10rs10
  • Early Adopter
  • 302 posts
  • Location - Denmark
  • BT - Rs10#2467
Exalted.platinum
And we have a RELEASE DATE !!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

May 15 2012 !!!!!!!!!!!

Source: http://us.blizzard.c...d=2012-3#150600

"Rogues guard the secrets to poison-making carefully, lest magi start incorporating poison into their spells. Poisonbolt? Rain of Poison? Poison Elemental? Nobody wants that."

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,643 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
About damn time. :D

Went down pretty much how I predicted in the CeBIT article. I actually said they usually announce the release dates 2 months before the actual launch, but I definitely wasn't expecting the difference to be EXACTLY 2 months. Can't help wonder if they delayed the announcement for this. :D

Revelasian

Revelasian
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
Friendly
gonna buy the collectors edition, i always buy those gimmicky things... its the gamer geek in me...

Falloubst

Falloubst
  • Early Adopter
  • 78 posts
  • Location - Germany
Exalted
I just discovered an amazing funny article which deals with D III launch issues and its "you-have-to-be-online-in-order-to-play-the-game-requierement".

What do you guys think about D III so far? I've bought it, will be able to play it just in a few days though. I can't wait to play this game. :)

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,643 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
I'm absolutely loving it! Best game I've played in quite a while. :D

About the article, I think it's a little (or maybe a lot) over the top. All his points are basically saying the same thing, just in a different way. It is entertaining to read though, like many cracked articles.

Sure, the launch had many problems and basically all the disadvantages of having an online-only game came out to the surface, but 90% of these are already gone, after just a few days. I've had no errors yesterday, and I've played like 6 hours.

All this is irrelevant though. The important thing to consider is what online-only brings feature wise. Is it worth it? I think it definitely is. I love chatting while playing, I love having an AH, the incredibly easy to setup co-op mode and all the b.net integration (that is pretty small right now, but it's going to grow, starting with the upcoming armory, the evolution of BattleTag, etc.). All this comes against what? Not being able to name your character fucknuts? Cmon..

rs10rs10

rs10rs10
  • Early Adopter
  • 302 posts
  • Location - Denmark
  • BT - Rs10#2467
Exalted.platinum
Best game ever! LAN with friends for 3 days! :-) Amazing

Draykorinee

Draykorinee
  • Early Adopter
  • 60 posts
Honored
I always wanted an updated D2!! Unfortunately Thats what I got, D2 but nicer looking, its not exactly an evolution. It is however a blast, it is certainly filling that spot I have while waiting for MoP and anymore Titan news. Playing a WD only level 25 and act 3 but hada mental few weeks so no free time.

Edit just tried to log in error 37 again... #error37

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,643 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

I always wanted an updated D2!! Unfortunately Thats what I got, D2 but nicer looking, its not exactly an evolution.

I think the future expansion will focus on bringing innovation to the game. The original D3 though focuses on capturing the Diablo feel, fixing some mechanics that didn't function that well in D2 and also adding small improvements here and there. I think it's exactly what they needed to do.

If they would have tried too much to innovate the series, many D2 fans would have been really upset and the new game might have been truly new but maybe not as much fun. With this launch they built themselves a strong base and because of it they'll be able to explore some new stuff in the next expansions. That's how I see it at least.

I think this way of thinking is already showing in SC2. The original game stayed even closer to its predecessor that D3 is, but HotS is already looking to shake things up with the completely new Arcade system (that I think will be huge) and in multiplayer with some never-before-seen units that are pretty daring. They've also just announced some B.NET improvements that are not exactly innovations, but they're definitely important steps in evolving the SC platform.

Falloubst

Falloubst
  • Early Adopter
  • 78 posts
  • Location - Germany
Exalted
I've started playing it yesterday as a Monk. Man, this game is fun. It almost feels like the first time played WoW. Its atmosphere really sucks me in. Since I used to be a WoW addict, I'm careful playing D III now. :D

It feels different than D II, it's more fluent, doesn't requiere a lot of thinking and is still a lot of fun IMHO. :D

Draykorinee

Draykorinee
  • Early Adopter
  • 60 posts
Honored
Stopped playing now, I played Diablo 2 for years I do not get any excitement any more from this shallow game play, had I not destroyed D2 I would probably be happy, hey at least its free.

Falloubst

Falloubst
  • Early Adopter
  • 78 posts
  • Location - Germany
Exalted
I think I'm done with Diablo 3. Right now, I unfortunately got limited time playing games. Within the last days, I tried to log in several times -- without success.

Either the servers were down because of planned maintenance (which is okay) or they weren't working because of... well... too heavy "population"? ATM I'm trying to log in - still getting errors that servers are too busy.

Well... Seems like I've got to give Diablo 3 some more weeks to work properly. :D Man, I miss the times when you could pop in a gaming cartridge into your Super Nintendo and just start playing.

But what I've seen so far in D3 looks fun. The combat feels absolutely fluent - much more fluent than D2's combat. But on the other hand side it feels less compelling; I miss stat points, scrolls of identification... It's a great game though; just a little too linear IMHO. But that linearity makes D3 a perfect game for in between (assuming that servers are operating properly).