Change
Photo

Activision Blizzard Q2 2013 Results Conference Call

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Titan @ Q2 2013 Conf Call

Will Project Titan still be featured in Blizzard's Pipeline?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Previous Conference Call thread

Thursday, August 1, 2013
1:30 p.m. Pacific Time, 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time, 21:30 UTC

You can listen to the event yourselves, by going here and signing up in case you haven't already.

I won't initially feature the event on the front page, but I will watch the conference attentively and will report there on any Titan info that might come out.

Also, I will constantly update this post with news about the event and, on August 1, with real-time info and pictures from the conference.

This one will be quite interesting, even if we can't possibly hope for anything to be revealed. The big question though I think is whether Project Titan will still be mentioned in the upcoming section, along side All-Stars. 

If they'll still keep it there, then we'll get a bit of confirmation that the project is still active and with a deadline. If not, well, that would definitely not be a good sign. I think and hope we shouldn't have any nasty surprises, but we'll have to see.

As for Blizzard's other games, we already know that WoW arrived at 7.7M subs on June 30, so we probably won't get much more on that front. It would be nice to hear how HotS has been doing, but it's not something we can really expect.

A beta announcement for HS would also be awesome. Since they re-confirmed just a few days ago that they still plan on starting the beta phase this summer, this leaves August as the only possible month. I could see MM say something like "expect beta to start in a few weeks", if he won't give a more precise date.

01.08.2013 - Created an album where you'll find the slides shown during the event.

-----------------------------

As usual, Full press release (PDF) already available, 20 minutes before the start of the conference. Highlights:

• For the first six months of 2013, Activision Blizzard was the #1 third-party publisher in North America and Europe combined.
  • As of July 31, 2013, the Skylanders franchise has generated, life-to-date, more than $1.5 billion in worldwide retail sales.
  • As of June 30, 2013, Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft® remains the #1 subscription-based MMORPG, with approximately 7.7 million subscribers.
  • On July 2, 2013, Activision Publishing released Call of Duty: Black Ops II Vengeance, a downloadable map pack for the Xbox 360® video game system from Microsoft. The company expects to release Call of Duty: Black Ops II Vengeance on other platforms later in the third

quarter of 2013.

On September 3, 2013, Blizzard Entertainment expects to release Diablo® III for Sony’s PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360 video game system from Microsoft.

• For the quarter ended June 30, 2013, Activision Blizzard’s GAAP net revenues were $1.05 billion, as compared with $1.08 billion for the second quarter of 2012. On a non-GAAP basis, the company’s net revenues were $608 million, as compared with $1.05 billion for the second quarter of 2012. For the second quarter, GAAP net revenues from digital channels were $387 million and represented 37% of the company’s total revenues. On a non-GAAP basis, net revenues from digital channels were $383 million and represented a record 63% of the company’s total revenues. 

• On July 25, 2013, Activision Blizzard announced that it reached an agreement under which the company will acquire approximately 429 million company shares and certain tax attributes from Vivendi, in exchange for approximately $5.83 billion in cash, or $13.60 per share acquired before taking into account any future benefit from these tax attributes.

In a related transaction, ASAC II LP, an investment vehicle led by CEO Bobby Kotick and Activision Blizzard Co-Chairman Brian Kelly, will purchase approximately 172 million company shares from Vivendi for approximately $2.34 billion in cash, or $13.60 per share. Following the completion of the transactions, which are expected to close by the end of September 2013, Vivendi will no longer be the majority shareholder, but will retain a stake of approximately 83 million shares, or approximately 12%

gallery_1_28_47799.png

• Better than expected Q2 results, although revenue year-over-year was lower, since D3 launched during this period in 2012. Their main revenue sources for this quarter were Skylanders, CoD and WoW. No mention of SC2: HotS..
  • A more challenging back half of the year, mostly because the console transition and higher competition.

gallery_1_28_156166.png

• Activision Highlights now. They were number one in Q2 2013, thanks to Skylanders and Call of Duty. Some really impressive Skylanders stats.

gallery_1_28_2762.png

• Call of Duty also grew "strongly" in Q2. Pre-orders are much lower though, compared to last year, but their studies show that this is because of the console transition (customers dont know yet which console to choose).

gallery_1_28_4688.png

• Destiny on track to set a pre-order record for a new IP. They believe it will easily become their 3rd $1B+ franchise.

gallery_1_28_76373.png

• Mike Morhaime now. WoW subs loss was split evenly between West and East.

gallery_1_28_107727.png

• In the process of selecting a new direction for Project Titan. "Unlikely to be a subscription based MMORPG". Commitment to quality is at the core of Blizzard values. They've shifted some of the resources from the Titan team to their other projects. More details
  • A lot of focus on Blizzard All-Stars. They've reached a significant milestone, with wide internal testing going on, and they'll announce details on the game later this year.
  • HearthStone will be Blizzard's first game on iPad and the first game they announced and launched in the same year.
  • Blizzard is broadening their gaming portfolio. Just 3 years ago they had a single active game. Now they have 3, on multiple platforms, with different business models.
  • Interesting question (that's a first): If WoW keeps falling in subs, will Blizzard focus on profitability or on subs number growth initiatives? MM's answer: their priority is delivering great content to players. They believe WoW is still the top option in this space and that it has a long life ahead of itself. They will also focus on making it easy to come back to the game.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

This is very exciting, I hope to hear about HS, an update on Titan would be cool too ;)

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal

ActiBlizz scaling all time highs for their stock heh. I think the call will be very interesting because they will ask Blizzard a lot of questions that will need answers, they already did say that they are increasing development team for WoW, interesting choice considering it should go the other way around, they have plans for WoW?

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

ActiBlizz scaling all time highs for their stock heh. I think the call will be very interesting because they will ask Blizzard a lot of questions that will need answers, they already did say that they are increasing development team for WoW, interesting choice considering it should go the other way around, they have plans for WoW?

Blizzard are actually putting more development resources into WoW? Maybe they want to take the game back to it's former glory, which is something I'm all for :D

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

After the Titan Reset it would make sense that they focus on WoW more. They probably didnt plan for such a Reset and are putting WoW on life support until its younger brother is old enough to pull its plug.

I think Titan will still be mentioned like it always has been as "Next-Gen MMO" and nothing more. I believe they announced the WoW Sub drop close to their announcement of buying back shares from Vivendi just so that if there was any Shareholder "Shock" from the drop in Subs the more exciting news of a Buyback would absorb any of the blowback.

WoW is dieing, but its still the single greatest and most subscribed MMO in History and its probably not going to flop until Blizzard is content that they can hold onto the Audience.

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

I might have internet issues. So in case the real-time updates stop, this is the reason. Or maybe they've just announced Titan officially and I'm freaking out, running through the apartment. One of the two. :)

sayaf

sayaf
  • Early Adopter
  • 19 posts
Friendly

I might have internet issues. So in case the real-time updates stop, this is the reason. Or maybe they've just announced Titan officially and I'm freaking out, running through the apartment. One of the two. :)

Imagine that  they announce titan today! sadly i think the chances of announcing a game in a investors call is almost close to nil :(

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal
Unlikely to be subscription based hmmm

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare
Holy crap, so the reasoning behind Titan's reset might have actually been to restructure its business model? And they actually called it Project Titan?

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

sayaf

sayaf
  • Early Adopter
  • 19 posts
Friendly

diablo fansites are quoting Morhime saying this: "We'll be sharing Diablo 3 related news at Gamecom this month."

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

diablo fansites are quoting Morhime saying this: "We'll be sharing Diablo 3 related news at Gamecom this month."

Yup, but this was known before the Conference Call as well.

http://www.blizzpro....nt-at-gamescom/

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal
First time there was a good question (regarding WoW).

Balls is going to be the highlight of Blizzcon this year.

rs10rs10

rs10rs10
  • Early Adopter
  • 315 posts
  • Location - Denmark
  • BT - Rs10#2467
Exalted.platinum

First time there was a good question (regarding WoW).

Balls is going to be the highlight of Blizzcon this year.

YES! Finally! Thanks for making my day papas :)

EDIT: AAaaaand it's gone. Thought there was a question about WoW and the answer was that Ball were going to be the highlight at BlizzCon. Damn you papaz! Damn you! :)

"Rogues guard the secrets to poison-making carefully, lest magi start incorporating poison into their spells. Poisonbolt? Rain of Poison? Poison Elemental? Nobody wants that."