Change
Photo

Blizzard and Titan, is Blizzard being unfair?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal

I will try to keep it really short :) I've been thinking about Blizzard's handling of information about Titan. It's not like Blizzard owes us anything in regards to this game, or do they? Blizzard themselves chose to reveal that they have this super secret title in development, which is going to "eclipse" WoW and they revealed that they had this game in development in 2007 (6 years ago now, think about it), now by all indications the heavy lifting on the game hasn't started until a few years ago and up until then the game had a skeleton crew working on it. Blizzard never shied away from making grandiose statements about their next big thing. Looking back at everything it's actually weird how much we heard about a game that we know nothing about and no-one actually forced Blizzard to say anything in the first place, I am also struggling to see the point in hyping up a game 10 years before it's release (you know this will happen :p). 

Whether it was intentional or not, by making statements about Titan, making "promises" and reminding us of it's existence constantly, Blizzard made fans invested in TItan and the promise of Titan as the next-gen mmo. Looking at it and the silence regarding the project now, lack of any communication on its status and you know if it will actually ever come out I find Blizzard behavior exploitative. There is something very cynical about the way Blizzard handled Titan that ticks me the wrong way. 

Blizzard, I do not need you to tell me what the game is about, I do not need you tell me the genre, setting, gameplay mechanics or price model, what I do need from you is some transparency and some updates on the status of the game. Ultimately, you let the genie out of the bottle years ago, 6 years ago to be specific. If you never wanted people to talk about this game or care about it, you shouldn't have said anything (and you said a lot over the years to keep the hype train going). This whole situation is exactly why so many people dislike and criticize Blizzard, we know that you guys are completely dysfunctional, your management is not very good and your communication is terrible and you still manage to make some of the best games of all time but WoW came out 8 years ago now and there was enough time to restructure the company and get used to transforming from a small developer into the biggest developer in the world. 

All I am feeling towards Titan these days is bitterness and hurt. I very much hope that Blizzard makes changes to their ridiculous policies regarding this game.

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

The problem has never been Blizzard it has been the fans (= us). We hype everything they do 10 times more than Blizzard themselves.

Blizzard if anything has actually learnt something:

- No early announcements

- And even with Balls that was announced, they realized they needed to redo. What do they do then? Go completely siilent instead of updates that shows that they are probably changing alot and getting angry nerds posting on forums (hello D3).

If we would gather the information that has come out from Blizzard it would be a couple of one liners from Blizzcon, a couple of tweets and that's it. The whole "Titan being redone not released by 2016" is something that was leaked and got out of hand. 

Blizzard has tried to keep quiet about Titan part from some small hype. The rest is something that we fans have done.

So I don't feel bitterness at all but rather disappointed that Blizzard as a company, in my opinion, has failed in their iterative process to manage to push out a game before it gets outdated. What maybe once worked I feel isn't working anymore. Other devs are catching up and Blizzard is till "same old Blizzard" and not the magical Blizzard we want them to be.They have grown in size and the magic ain't working for the dinosaur.

The difference between Blizzard and Valve is that:

1. Valve has managed to be a lot quieter than Blizzard in terms of their development.

2. Fans are hyping HL3 and every other Valve game to oblivion but look at Valve - Dead silent. 

3. Valve isn't posting jobs on their site saying "environment artist needed for Half Life 3".

Blizzard has problem with internal leaks and eager fans that wants communication when there is none to give.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

If you take a look at the timeline, you can see that most of the initial details came from indirect sources (job posts, Kaplan moving to it from WoW) or leaks (the release schedule that actually contained the name Titan). So you can't say that they intentionally got the hype ball rolling, unless they decided to be really sneaky about it.

Besides this, like papaz said, any other mentions have been few and far between. If you look at it objectively, you could actually argue that Blizzard has done what you want them to do: yearly status updates on the project and 0 additional hype. We actually created a lot more hype than them.

I'm sure they didn't necessarily mind, but I never got the impression that they directly tried to generate attention for this project, with the exception of when they did it through less visible channels, for the purpose of recruiting (like on the polycount forums, on their Jobs page) or on an individual bassis (Cameron Dayton being excited about his job for example).

That being said, now that the cat is out of the bag, I do think it would be a nice gesture from them to keep us in the loop a bit more and hey, maybe even give us a real name. But that wouldn't necessarily be smart from a business point of view, so I can't really blame them for it. They probably don't even know a name yet, from the small whispers we've heard and it looks like they're not even sure what the status of the project is, so in the end I don't know how much they could tell us anyway.

I do agree with both of you about their development process. You can't call this an iterative process. Iterations are something that happen constantly, exactly to prevent the need of doing major revamps along the way.

What happened to Titan recently is not an iteration, is plain and simple a project management failure. They either couldn't predict how the market will evolve, how some of the features will play out or who knows what else, but something went wrong in a big way. Unless of course they decided to put it on pause because they feel WoW has a bright future ahead of it (lol) and they already have plenty of games in the making.

Anyway, luckily for Blizzard, they're in a financial state that allows them to have such failures and pretend they're part of their motto / culture. Every other company would love to afford this "company policy" of resetting games if they don't fully live up to some standards, but financially is not feasible for 99% of them.

Even so, they should try and lose this bad habit, because you never know when the well will dry up and as such they'll be forced to actually have an agile and lean production process.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Goht

Goht
  • Early Adopter
  • 249 posts
  • Location - GGermany
  • BT - Goht#2885
Exalted.silver

Well pretty easy answer on why Blizz isn´t "teasing" us about their game: developing a MMO is a long and very hard task. IF something goes wrong(and apperantly it did) you need to start nearly from scratch so everything you already teased is wrong and you need to explain the the whole world why you are teasing something that wont even come to reality. That would probably one of the worst reputition a company can get. And i think i dont need to explain what only 1 big failure of a gaming company would do to their reputition. 

The EARLIEST point we will get teasers from Blizz is when really everything from the core engine to the design of the game is done in a proper way(which clearly isnt). And like we all know Blizz, they wont share something until the very last days before the official announecment(some teaser thingy like the d3 one)

"I'm Not Questioning Your Honor; I'm Denying It's Existence."
- Tyrion Lannister

Are you watching Merseyside?!

PinkPony

PinkPony
  • Early Adopter
  • 233 posts
Exalted

i hope that blizzard will give us some status updates from project titan on this years' blizzcon.

i wan't to know

how many people are working on it right now

if this project is in danger like sc:ghost and maybe gets completely canceled because it's simply too huge of a project to manage

how they feel about us (titan-)fans

and if they still have so much faith in its success as several years ago (like paul sams stated)

Ellendway

Ellendway
  • Early Adopter
  • 45 posts
  • Location - Paris
Friendly

Kaplan moving to it from WoW

Kaplan is back on WoW for a longer time now. He was working on Titan for a short time (around a year).

Please understand, that this is Blizzard. Unfortunately I had a chat with lots of former Blizzard employees (thanks to my job in the gaming industry) and they told me that they will be not surprised if Titan will be never released. Sorry for this but this is how Blizzard works. We have seen it before and we will see it.

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
Exalted.GM.normal

I am sorry but I am calling BS on you, especially considering Blizzard confirmed Kaplan was working on Titan very recently. 

Him being on WoW does not make any sense, are you saying he is a regular designer on a game considering that all the leads for WoW are very visible? Where have they been hiding him then? Please, if you are going to make stuff up make it believable. 

No comment on second part. 

Ellendway

Ellendway
  • Early Adopter
  • 45 posts
  • Location - Paris
Friendly

I am sorry but I am calling BS on you, especially considering Blizzard confirmed Kaplan was working on Titan very recently. 

Him being on WoW does not make any sense, are you saying he is a regular designer on a game considering that all the leads for WoW are very visible? Where have they been hiding him then? Please, if you are going to make stuff up make it believable. 

No comment on second part. 

When Blizzard confirmed that Kaplan is working on Titan? Do you have any proper and valid source?

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
Exalted.GM.normal

https://twitter.com/...294754511179777

Ellendway

Ellendway
  • Early Adopter
  • 45 posts
  • Location - Paris
Friendly

Okay, thank you for your answer.

I don't know how long are you interested in Blizzard but did you ever noticed their answers? This answers simple says that he is still in the building - nothing more, nothing less. I asked for a valid source of your previous comment that Jeff is still working on Titan.

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

Kaplan is back on WoW for a longer time now. He was working on Titan for a short time (around a year).

Please understand, that this is Blizzard. Unfortunately I had a chat with lots of former Blizzard employees (thanks to my job in the gaming industry) and they told me that they will be not surprised if Titan will be never released. Sorry for this but this is how Blizzard works. We have seen it before and we will see it.

Omg, what do you mean?

Are they all negative?

How many have you talked to?

Have the people you have talked to seen Titan?

Were there any lazers in Titan? (Ok, you may skip this question)

What will happen instead then?

WoW 2.0?

Starcraft Universe (yes please)?

WC4 (awwww yeahhhh!)?

Nothing (booooooooooooooo)?

So many questions, so few answers  :no

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
Exalted.GM.normal

There is nothing suspicious in that tweet really so I am not sure I need to justify myself here :) You were the one stating him not being on Titan as a fact and asking for my clarification anyway. There are many completely reasonable, unequivocal reasons for him not working on any other Blizzard games, him not being on game credits for example or having zero visibility, unless ofcourse he was demoted to intern status or Blizzard is participating in some massive conspiracy, not to mention that Kaplan being involved in WoW would create a wave of good will for that game so there is absolutely no reason to keep that secret. 

Ellendway

Ellendway
  • Early Adopter
  • 45 posts
  • Location - Paris
Friendly

Omg, what do you mean?

Are they all negative?

How many have you talked to?

Have the people you have talked to seen Titan?

Were there any lazers in Titan? (Ok, you may skip this question)

What will happen instead then?

WoW 2.0?

Starcraft Universe (yes please)?

WC4 (awwww yeahhhh!)?

Nothing (booooooooooooooo)?

So many questions, so few answers  :no

Please understand that I cannot answer to every question. But I will try my best.

I have been working with more than two former Blizzard employees in my previous job. I cannot tell you who was that or what positions they had in Blizzard (they weren't classic Customer Service people).

What does it mean? If you're not a classic guy on phone support, you are invited once a year to special event with the higher Blizzard employees (Mike Morhaime, etc.) and they're more than happy to show you what is going on in California. You have to sign NDA and other papers of course.

I can confirm that all of these people loved the idea of Titan and they wanted to see it released. Unfortunately they also told me that the project Titan is really huge and it could be too big for Blizzard. I have got some information but everything happened before the restart and all of my information cannot be valid anymore.

About WoW 2.0. Some of my colleagues told me that Blizzard will go back to RTS after WoW. I don't know if I can ever trust to this statement or not. But as long as WoW is still alive and will live for more than 5 years there is no reason to be worried about WarCraft 4. I am sorry!

There is nothing suspicious in that tweet really so I am not sure I need to justify myself here :) You were the one stating him not being on Titan as a fact and asking for my clarification anyway. There are many completely reasonable, unequivocal reasons for him not working on any other Blizzard games, him not being on game credits for example or having zero visibility, unless ofcourse he was demoted to intern status or Blizzard is participating in some massive conspiracy, not to mention that Kaplan being involved in WoW would create a wave of good will for that game so there is absolutely no reason to keep that secret. 

You have to understand to one simple thing. Blizzard is (and I am sorry for this) sometimes really stupid and they are not transparent. There is no reason to announce every change in the team. If you will look at Blizzard history, lots of interesting and good people just disappeared. I am just sharing information what I have got from my previous job - Jeff Kaplan is not working on Titan. Of course I cannot give you 100% source, I cannot give you anything.

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

Well said, it's pretty obvious that Kaplan is involved with Titan. What else could be in the secret iron bunkers beneath Blizzard compound?

Disclaimer: Half Life 3 is being developed by Blizzard, there are 3s everywhere, there are 3 tweets in that conversation, it was posted in March, the 3rd month, it was posted on the 31st, 3 x 1 = 3, that's 3 3s. HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

Please understand that I cannot answer to every question. But I will try my best.

I have been working with more than two former Blizzard employees in my previous job. I cannot tell you who was that or what positions they had in Blizzard (they weren't classic Customer Service people).

What does it mean? If you're not a classic guy on phone support, you are invited once a year to special event with the higher Blizzard employees (Mike Morhaime, etc.) and they're more than happy to show you what is going on in California. You have to sign NDA and other papers of course.

I can confirm that all of these people loved the idea of Titan and they wanted to see it released. Unfortunately they also told me that the project Titan is really huge and it could be too big for Blizzard. I have got some information but everything happened before the restart and all of my information cannot be valid anymore.

About WoW 2.0. Some of my colleagues told me that Blizzard will go back to RTS after WoW. I don't know if I can ever trust to this statement or not. But as long as WoW is still alive and will live for more than 5 years there is no reason to be worried about WarCraft 4. I am sorry!

You have to understand to one simple thing. Blizzard is (and I am sorry for this) sometimes really stupid and they are not transparent. There is no reason to announce every change in the team. If you will look at Blizzard history, lots of interesting and good people just disappeared. I am just sharing information what I have got from my previous job - Jeff Kaplan is not working on Titan. Of course I cannot give you 100% source, I cannot give you anything.

And without a source we have no reason to believe you.

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

Ellendway

Ellendway
  • Early Adopter
  • 45 posts
  • Location - Paris
Friendly

Well said, it's pretty obvious that Kaplan is involved with Titan. What else could be in the secret iron bunkers beneath Blizzard compound?

Disclaimer: Half Life 3 is being developed by Blizzard, there are 3s everywhere, there are 3 tweets in that conversation, it was posted in March, the 3rd month, it was posted on the 31st, 3 x 1 = 3, that's 3 3s. HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

And without a source we have no reason to believe you.

I love a small text!

Jay Wilson left Diablo 3 development few months ago. Where is he now? He also almost disappeared.

I am sorry but I am not stupid to give you names :) These people are my friends and I am not gonna kill 'em.

Valkata

Valkata
  • Early Adopter
  • 799 posts
  • Location - EU
  • BT - Jasius#1148
Exalted.master

Might as well just rename this website to "Blizzard fan forum", since every day we're just going further away from Titan... 

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

Thanks for the answers and welcome to TF btw!

Might as well just rename this website to "Blizzard fan forum", since every day we're just going further away from Titan... 

mynsc doesn't know it yet but this site will be BF = Balls Focus (rofl, I just realized how that sounded) once that game is released!

Valkata

Valkata
  • Early Adopter
  • 799 posts
  • Location - EU
  • BT - Jasius#1148
Exalted.master

Oh so I'm not the only one waiting for that game way more than any other Blizzard game :) Well except Titan, but since it's out of reach still...

When I think about it... it's just hilarious, the game is not even announced yet, we barely know sh1t, yet here we are :D

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

I think the absence of JK from any recent game credits is the most solid hint we have right now and it's pointing to the fact that he's still (or was until the reset) working on Titan. Unless they put him on Balls (HS is too small and he would've been seen already). Or unless we all somehow missed him in the MoP / HotS / D3 credits.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF