Change
Photo

Console wars

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Console wars

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Will you buy Xboxone or PS4?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal
The only game that caught my attention was Ryse. Loved the graphics and gameplay.

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare
Well, in a few short hours I have gone from not even thinking about picking up a console to being completely sold on the PS4. Even though the opening presentation was shaky, PS4 simply obliterated xBox in the final rounds. Sony when straight for the throat, stating that when you buy a game for the PS4, YOU assume ownership of that game and can sell it to whomever you like! They further stated that you won't need online all the time and there shall be no daily "check-ins". And then the final crushing blow to the xBox one: $400 price tag. A full $100 cheaper then the xBox with more affordable online play as well. I'm sorry if your a MS fan, but you just got owned.

O, and for a little salt in the wound, PS4 got the first Destiny gameplay showcase... And it was absolutely stunning...

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal
The last 30 minutes of Sony presentation was dynamite and complete obliteration of MS.

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

The last 30 minutes of Sony presentation was dynamite and complete obliteration of MS.

Couldn't agree more. It was brutal. 

The presentation started slow but loved the last 30 minutes.

Eremite

Eremite
  • Global Moderator
  • 430 posts
  • Location - Hawaii
Exalted.master

Too bad you went to bed Mynsc!  During the Sony event we were all in IRC hooping and hollering like it was a sporting event.  Good times.

I'm very stoked for what the consoles have in store for us while we wait for Titan.

Anyone who wants to join me for Destiny squads, The Crew racing teams, and any other game is welcome!

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

Here is the 3 minute brutal beating of Xbox. The smile on the face of the Sony CEO during these 3 minutes...like a boss! This has to be one of his favourite moments in his career. 

Also if that wasn't enough Sony has been kind enough to make a video on how to share your PS4 games with your friends:

Stompalomp

Stompalomp
  • Early Adopter
  • 102 posts
  • Location - UK
Exalted

PS4 looks good, I can really see it blowing the Xbox 1 out of the water come launch.

My only concern/query/confusion was about the pricing.  

States - $399 - based on Euro or GBP exchange rates should be - $529-$542

EU - E399 - Based on USD exchange rate that should be - E300.43 (E300?)

UK - £349 - Based on USD exchange rates that should be - £256.62 (£259?)

So in the UK we will be paying about £90 more than the US will be paying for it, and EU will be paying E100 more than US.  Seems that we are being ripped off in the UK and Europe?

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Watched a VoD of the Sony Conference and I must say it was indeed brutal. The crowd's reaction was amazing. You'd think they just announced some crazy, never before seen feature that would revolutionize gaming, yet they just said the used games / connection policies will remain the same. :) Completely understandable though, considering how Microsoft set the table with some really weird and restrictive rules.

So let's see. It's more powerful, it's cheaper, gives you more control over your games, and to be honest, I've even found the games to be a bit more diverse and interesting. Sure, it does not have Kinect (can't decide if this is a plus or a minus) and no voice commands, but I can easily live without these.

PS4 is definitely the winner so far and if I'll actually decide on getting a console it will definitely be Sony's one.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Goht

Goht
  • Early Adopter
  • 249 posts
  • Location - GGermany
  • BT - Goht#2885
Exalted.silver

Sonys press conference just reminded me how bad the gaming industry has become. I mean a "feature" that has been there for almost 30 years was the best announcement, seriously?! 

Only real cool thing was kingdom hearts 3 for me, thats it. Sadly there was no "real" Nintendo press conference, i´m a fanboi of Nintendo since i was a little kid so Nintendo will ever own a place in my heart.

So for me: I´m staying with my current line up of my SNES, N64 and Wii and thats it ;)

"I'm Not Questioning Your Honor; I'm Denying It's Existence."
- Tyrion Lannister

Are you watching Merseyside?!

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

That settles it, PS4 for moi.

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal
Whelp http://kotaku.com/th...-game-512643240

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Update: Sony responded to our query, reiterating that all disc-based games will be able to be traded and resold at the owner's discretion, regardless of whether it's first or third party.

"Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners," a Sony representative told Polygon. "As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."

Source

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

Is this guy from MS for real? I mean, he is stating the obvious that is "stick to xbox360 if you don't have Internet" but has he not taken any lessons in PR? 

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy ends up like Jay Wilson and gets an internal transfer to something else. Talking to the press isn't his thing.

Eremite

Eremite
  • Global Moderator
  • 430 posts
  • Location - Hawaii
Exalted.master

"Truth will out."

I think the attitudes these companies have about themselves and towards the consumer eventually comes out when these execs start talking.  Check out his eyes and tone right around 3-4 seconds into papaz's video above.  He doesn't give a F about these complaints.  I guess all the military guys that play CoD and Battlefield like a religion can get stuffed, eh Don?  Even if the xboxone connectivity is a good thing for gamers in the end, the attitude this guy represents on behalf of MS is clear as day - Tough Shi t. 

It's the same kind of attitude the NA President of Nintendo has towards his product and the consumers.  Nintendo made promises to the consumer early in Wii development that they've never made good on, and they're trying to ignore the fact that consumers are smart enough to remember what was said.  Check out around 7:45 of this interview when Reggie is confronted on this issue.  Total dodge.

This is why I'm liking Sony lately.  In total contrast to these last two disingenuous execs, the first thing out of Jack Tretton's mouth during one of his interviews is "We remind ourselves that you've got to earn the consumer trust every day." 

Compare Jack to the other two guys and you can see how these three 1st party platform rivals stack up.  Jack is a real guy at the top who gives a crap about the players and seems like the kind of guy you can sit down with over a cold one.  I want to punch Reggie in the face and put Don Mattrick in front of a military tribunal.

I'm giving my support to Sony this season.  It just so happens they have a more powerful unit at a cheaper price with all the games I want to play.  Win.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

It's a seasonal thing in my opinion. Sony is now down to earth humble only because they got owned bad during the current generation. PS2 was the god of consoles, while PS3 fell way behind XBOX360. So they had to do something drastic (yes, I'm convinced that not putting in DRM, always-on stuff are drastic measures for the company) in order to catch-up and start the next generation from the top spot again.

While Microsoft, still "high" on the 36 (or more?) consecutive months of top spot in console sales, came in this new generation as cocky as possible. They thought to themselves that they already have the hardcore gaming market, so they focused on making XBOX an all-around entertainment device and also making it as profitable as possible (hence the used games policy, connectivity stuff, high price).

I'm pretty sure that a couple of years from now, or maybe when the next next-gen arrives, the 2 companies will change roles again: Sony being cocky and greedy, MS being "the good guy", trying to regain trust and love. Unless ofc Sony is better/smarter than that, but somehow I doubt it. Not because I think Sony sucks or anything like that, but just because companies do their best to profit when they're on top, instead of being generous. They're generous only when they still have a ways to climb until the top. :)

Eremite

Eremite
  • Global Moderator
  • 430 posts
  • Location - Hawaii
Exalted.master

It's a seasonal thing in my opinion. Sony is now down to earth humble only because they got owned bad during the current generation. PS2 was the god of consoles, while PS3 fell way behind XBOX360. So they had to do something drastic (yes, I'm convinced that not putting in DRM, always-on stuff are drastic measures for the company) in order to catch-up and start the next generation from the top spot again.

While Microsoft, still "high" on the 36 (or more?) consecutive months of top spot in console sales, came in this new generation as cocky as possible. They thought to themselves that they already have the hardcore gaming market, so they focused on making XBOX an all-around entertainment device and also making it as profitable as possible (hence the used games policy, connectivity stuff, high price).

I'm pretty sure that a couple of years from now, or maybe when the next next-gen arrives, the 2 companies will change roles again: Sony being cocky and greedy, MS being "the good guy", trying to regain trust and love. Unless ofc Sony is better/smarter than that, but somehow I doubt it. Not because I think Sony sucks or anything like that, but just because companies do their best to profit when they're on top, instead of being generous. They're generous only when they still have a ways to climb until the top. %29.gif

I don't disagree with anything, but the points are all moot for my personal decision.  In the end all corporations are all evil entities created by the devil, right? :devil: Really though, the consoles are all so similar (or in Nintendo's case in a market of its own) that I believe the majority of us are going to be equally satisfied no matter what we choose.

For me it comes down to the salesman at the dealership.  Let me explain. 

For example, let's compare buying a new console with buying a new car.  Let's say I'm completely impartial to the make and model, but I can buy from one of two dealerships in town, either at Sarnakyle's Ford or Slayer's Chevrolet.  I'm an average guy who just needs a compact car that will get him playing his games to work and back home every day.  I've visited both places and each has only one model that is in my price range, and each dealer has one of those left on the lot.  They're both black (my favorite color), both have similar horsepower for practical purposes, roughly the same standard features, and both have similar user reviews.

I visit Chevy first.  Slayer himself comes to greet me and sell me on his spiffy compact.  He's being all sleezy and pushy, and the jerk condescendingly tells me that there are beaters in the back if I'm not savvy enough for the GPS installed in this black cherry.  I still want a car, but my initial experience could have been better.

So I head over to Ford.  Sarnakyle saunters over to sell me on his brand.  Even though he's desperate to make a sale he seems like a good guy with a pleasant demeanor.  He sees I've been burned in the recent past and goes for the heart-strings.  I'm upset that GPS was on the Chevy compact (even though I have a terrible sense of direction and get lost every day), and he excitedly tells me there's no GPS on this Ford.  And you know what?  The car is 20% cheaper to boot. 

Even though I secretly admit to myself that I'm going to need GPS in the future, I still go with the Ford.  Why?  Because Sarnakyle treated me better.  It certainly doesn't hurt that it costs less, but I would have bought it anyway.  I'm glad he at least pretended to care.  Even he's a jerk deep-down and forgets who I am after I leave, I still had a pleasant experience this time.

Sure, it's probably all smoke and mirrors with these guys.  It may all be cyclical.  Maybe in the next round MS makes a great pitch instead of Sony.  My point is that when I look at the representatives of each company that were at E3, Jack Tretton is the only guy that doesn't make me want to punch baby seals. :pc:  All things being equal, I go with the car salesman that seems the most genuine.  THAT'S the guy I buy from.  Even if miss out on a few little things, I'm glad I bought from him.

To each his own, but for my money, Sony is the cool dude at the dealership this week.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Heheh, freakin' Slayer..

Sony is definitely the better option right now, I was not disputing that. I also don't think corporations are evil, or good. From a moral point of view, they're usually right smack in the middle, aka neutral. Sometimes their decisions come off as good, noble, altruistic etc, sometimes they come off as greedy, evil, but at their core they're just business decisions, based on numbers and studies.

As the numbers and studies change, so will the actions of that certain company, easily going from evil to good or good to evil.

I guess my main point was to not give a blank check to Sony, as things can change at any point and if they grow too much, get a lead too big, they could easily turn things around and go the Microsoft way. Same for MS, if they'll remain too far behind and their strategy to focus on the publishers won't work out, they'll switch to pleasing the customers first and suddenly we'll see them adopting "good" policies.

Right now though, clearly PS4 is the better option. And this can only really change if publishers will prefer the XBOX in categorical fashion, giving it way more exclusives than to PS4, but I don't really think that will happen. Or if MS does some drastic (or Sony something really idiotic).

Eremite

Eremite
  • Global Moderator
  • 430 posts
  • Location - Hawaii
Exalted.master
I guess my main point was to not give a blank check to Sony, as things can change at any point and if they grow too much, get a lead too big, they could easily turn things around and go the Microsoft way. Same for MS, if they'll remain too far behind and their strategy to focus on the publishers won't work out, they'll switch to pleasing the customers first and suddenly we'll see them adopting "good" policies.

That's kinda my point too, but in a different way.  I don't choose the console solely based on the corporation that made it.  I take them out of the equation because in the end their primary responsibility is maximization of shareholder value. 

Either console will effectively play the games I want, so I'm going with Sony as of this writing because they made the better pitch today.

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal
PS4 grabs 95 % of the votes before Amazon ends the poll early:
http://m.cinemablend...arly-56766.html

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

Director of programming for xbox live service "Major Nelson" answers questions from Reddit.