Change
Hello and welcome to Titan Focus, a fansite for Blizzard's next new major franchise! We aim to provide quality and unique info about to the game, while also supporting a strong, well mannered & bright community. Join now to help us build it! As a unique, limited-time offer, everyone that signs-up before the game is officially announced will receive a special Early Adopter rank, which includes bragging rights and many bonus features. It's a small way of saying thanks to those that help get the ball rolling. Hope you enjoy your visit!
Photo

No Blizzard All-Stars in 2013 - Impact on Blizzcon and Titan

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 625 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal
Blizzard went on record on the conference call saying no Balls release in 2013. This got me thinking on their overall schedule and impact on Blizzcon and Titan.

So with no release in 2013 I feel there will be no beta or info before Blizzcon. It's quite obvious Blizzard wants this game to be a real contender in the moba market.

I therefore expect lot of information on Blizzcon that got more stacked than ever leaving almost no room for even a Titan teaser.

In November at WCS press conference Mike Morhaime gave hope about a beta "soon" after Hots but after the conference call I feel their schedule has been pushed back. I fear no Titan info at Blizzcon with WoW, D3, SC2 xpacks + Balls re revealing.

What do you guys think?

Morhaime at WCS press conference:
James, Gameplanet: How is Blizzard All-Stars progressing, and can we expect it to get the same kind of support that we see for StarCraft?

It is progressing well. We're doing a lot of experimentation with it right now and that's sort of why we've kind of gone dark a little bit in terms of information. We're testing out some things, and we're not ready to talk about what they are. Right now the focus, our next big launch is going to be Heart of the Swarm, and that's really where our attention is. After Heart of the Swarm releases, we'll probably start turning more attention to preparing Allstars for beta.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,642 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

We could still get some info before Blizzcon and I think we will. There's no way the game won't be launched in 2014, probably even in the first half of it, so I think ramping up the marketing and testing for it in the 2nd half of 2013 is something to be expected.

As for Blizzcon itself, not really sure how it will be affected. It's going to be a very packed event no matter what, so in the end it might not matter that much. :D With 3 new franchises at the horizon for Blizzard, it's obvious that every Blizzcon from now on is going to be super crowded with info. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll make some changes for 2014, like maybe renting more space or spreading everything over 3 days.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 807 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal
All stars is much bigger than we thought originally, almost feels like they want to kill sc2 with it :S I don't know if you listened to cloaken interview he was raving about it how they are doing amazing unheard of things with it for esports....all stars became a big enough priority to split Starcraft development team and put expansion releases into development hell.

This is fairly off topic but what I am trying to say is that all stars is more important to them at this point that the actual Starcraft and its expansion, at least that's what it appears like to me from the outside. I am making a prediction that they won't even seriously work on legacy of the void until all stars is finished. Their window of opportunity is quite narrow here, china is still playing original dota mostly and they have to capitalise on that with blizzard characters. Race against time :)

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 325 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

All stars is much bigger than we thought originally, almost feels like they want to kill sc2 with it :S I don't know if you listened to cloaken interview he was raving about it how they are doing amazing unheard of things with it for esports....all stars became a big enough priority to split Starcraft development team and put expansion releases into development hell.

This is fairly off topic but what I am trying to say is that all stars is more important to them at this point that the actual Starcraft and its expansion, at least that's what it appears like to me from the outside. I am making a prediction that they won't even seriously work on legacy of the void until all stars is finished. Their window of opportunity is quite narrow here, china is still playing original dota mostly and they have to capitalise on that with blizzard characters. Race against time :)

I dont think the shift of Devs to All Stars is much of an indication of their being less interest for them in creating LotV. There is little for the SC team to do besides creating the story and new game assets for LotV, the Engine wont need any drastic upgrades, i would imagine they had the story planned out pretty much from the beginning and pretty much all assets from the previous games will be used, so they would only need to keep a few Developers on to create the new content. So if they kept the original Dev team and pushed LotV out as quickly as possible, they would have a finished product sitting there collecting dust until such a time that they feel HotS has been out long enough.

Whereas the current shift in Devs is just an indication that All Stars has become enough of a grand interest for them to dedicate those sort of people to the project now that they are avaliable, and who else to create a Starcraft-esk style game than those who made Starcraft.

Back on topic :)

Im actually glad that it wont be released in 2013, it means, at least for me that Blizzard has decided to make it more than just a quick throw together project and it will be a more serious stand alone product that Blizzard and its fans can be proud of when it comes out.

My hopes for it, is that they can keep the same obvious humor throughout the game as they put into its announcement trailer, because i thought that was funny as hell hahaha.

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 625 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

Holy mother of....

How did I miss that interview *currently listening*. 

Hot diggity damn  :laughing:

Here is a summary for those that don't want to listening to the podcast (but you really should and I'll link to the specific part):

On State of the game 26 of April Totalbiscuit is pretty much giving Cloaken a hard time about the game client of SC2 is lackluster. Dota2 (apparently) has a way of showing pro tournaments and the platform for charging virtual tickets in the client (genious btw by Valve, Gaben > Blizzard).

Cloaken then goes on to say that those things are part of the discussion for All-Stars. Of course it's a huge part for bnet platform but still this was as close to a confirmation without saying it we can come to that Balls indeed is going full e-sports.

Watch below for the specific part:

http://youtu.be/U5pCm-hpzRA?t=25m30s

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,642 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

I think their focus is not on one game or another, bur rather on the multiplayer part of both.

It's also important to keep in mind that SC2 and All-Stars are all based on the B.NET platform and even more, All-Stars is further based on the SC2 engine, so any improvement that gets implemented in All-Stars is just a few tweaks away from being available in SC2. I'm actually fine with them using All-Stars as testing ground for some of the features.

Trust me, few people will rage more than me if they'll actually prioritize All-Stars over SC2, but I do not think this will be the case. It would be dumb and not in Blizzard's style. It's kinda like the same discussion we've had with WoW vs Titan. When Kaplan moved to Titan, everyone said that WoW is not their main focus anymore blah blah, but as it turned out, they actually increased dev efforts for WoW and the more frequent content patches + MoP showed this.

The SCS2 / All-Stars section in their Jobs Directory has probably been the most active sections lately, so they're not just transferring resources from SC2 to All-Stars. Not to mention the 20+ IGN Pro League team they brought in recently.

Here is a summary for those that don't want to listening to the podcast (but you really should and I'll link to the specific part):

On State of the game 26 of April Totalbiscuit is pretty much giving Cloaken a hard time about the game client of SC2 is lackluster. Dota2 (apparently) has a way of showing pro tournaments and the platform for charging virtual tickets in the client (genious btw by Valve, Gaben > Blizzard).

Cloaken then goes on to say that those things are part of the discussion for All-Stars. Of course it's a huge part for bnet platform but still this was as close to a confirmation without saying it we can come to that Balls indeed is going full e-sports.

Watch below for the specific part:

http://youtu.be/U5pCm-hpzRA?t=25m30s

TB has had a stick up his ass for a while now when it comes to Blizzard. Saying the SC2 client is lackluster is false, especially after HotS. Sure, there are some nice features out there that are not part of it yet, but at the same time it has features that no other game, from DOTA2 to LoL, has. Like the "take-over" replay thingie or hell, the absolutely amazing editor. It always gets ignored, but it's something incredibly huge, including for eSports (anyone can make pro maps for example).

Also the completely customizable spectator UI. I'm not actually sure if other games have this option, but I'm positive SC2 gives the most freedom to do it. I mean, GameHeart UI came even before the changes in HotS, that increased the possibilities for UI modding.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 807 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal

I now realize that my post came across a bit bitter haha :) I don't have any doubts that they are passionate about SC, HotS has been awesome so far. It will make sense for them to go all in on All-Stars, Starcraft will be fine even if LotV takes some time to come out. 

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,251 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum
I don't think that it'll affect Titan too much if at all, as others have said, Blizzcon is crowded with info regardless. I don't think it'll make much of a difference

?(??? )?  -_- (Ugh)

AKA:

• Chrage (Alternate IGN)
  • Templage (Alternate IGN)
  • Templar Page / Templar_Page
  • ShuuseiKagari

Lokan

Lokan
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
  • Location - Finland
Honored

If they want to stick in a Titan teaser at Blizzcon 2013, they will. Think about it, if they really want to start building up the hype, info about other games wont prevent it.

Now that we know that they are actually putting quite some effort into Blizzard All-stars I'm having high hopes for it. 

Of course it's nothing compared to the gargantuan expectations I have for Titan, seen trough my rose colored fanboy glasses.

Edited by Lokan, 16 May 2013 - 08:32 PM.

Ignorantia est fatalis

jacktheleaker

jacktheleaker
  • Early Adopter
  • 4 posts
Neutral

We could still get some info before Blizzcon and I think we will. There's no way the game won't be launched in 2014, probably even in the first half of it, so I think ramping up the marketing and testing for it in the 2nd half of 2013 is something to be expected.

as far as i can tell,their plan is:hearthstone beta ? hs luanch ? "allstar" . no much room for tian,so i highly doubt we will get any offical titan news from bliz. 

Lokan

Lokan
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
  • Location - Finland
Honored

as far as i can tell,their plan is:hearthstone beta ? hs luanch ? "allstar" . no much room for tian,so i highly doubt we will get any offical titan news from bliz. 

While hearthstone sure looks entertaining it's quite simple and I doubt that they will talk a lot about it. After all it's pretty much a polished minigame.

Oh, and welcome to Titanfocus Jack! 

Ignorantia est fatalis