Change
Photo

Gaming Addiction - Do you have it? What is it?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum

Hey, so I think this is a really useful thread and topic to discuss for a place like TF, even though many may dispute the idea of a 'gaming addiction'. I've written this myself, taking important quotes and other such things from websites that are knowledgable on this and they have been linked. The inspiration or cause for this post came from a thread recently in which someone stated 'not all addiction is negative' and that has set my mind spinning for the last two days. If you think this is all a bit too serious or over the top, I urge you to read anyway, humour me.

Before moving into this, I just want to throw in a bit of context. This is a community formed around a game, and it's likely that most people here are or have been addicted to gaming at one stage or another. I think it's important that there is an awareness of the effect excessive gaming has and I don't speak as a white knight here, as I game far too much as well - but awareness hopefully breeds better behaviour. I should also mention that I don't do psychology or sociology or anything of that sort, so if I sound like a complete amateur noob please go make a thread that beats this!  :)

ad·dic·tion  

/??dikSH?n/
Noun. The fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing or activity.

Definition of Addiction

Addiction is a bit of a buzz-word related with drugs, alcohol and sex; they're what we hear most about in relation to being addicted. It is a loaded word, and I use it throughout this post so please try to temporarily rip away any connotations you relate it with. What really isn't spoken as much about, although it is becoming more discussed in mainstream media, is that addictions can span a gulf of different topics - this thread will be about gaming in particular. 

It is important to mention that addiction isn't just about consumption or physical activity, it is also behavioural. I would personally go so far as to say behavioural addiction is the most prevalent and also is the cause of many 'physical' addictions as well, although I have no evidence to back this up. People can be addicted to all sorts of things behaviourally, from watching tv and surfing the web to other... more compulsive and perhaps destructive behaviours. 

However, it is not to say that the 'lesser' addictions such as being addicted to the internet or your phone aren't destructive; they're just more subtle. I refer to these addictions as 'invisible addictions', because unlike many more noticable addictions such as drug use or alcohol consumption, being addicted to screens in general is a globally accepted and encouraged addiction (almost no one can do work anymore without using a computer, for example) and therefore aren't noticed as much, if at all. Perhaps a better term for these 'invisible' addictions is 'corrosive' rather than 'destructive' because it allows someone to etch out a behavioural pattern from which it is very hard to break free, unlike the 'destructive' ones which drills itself in pretty quickly.

Symptoms of a 'Gaming Addiction'

Here is a summary of the sort of symptoms to tell if you have a gaming addiction. Of course, everyone is usually initially in denial (as with most addictions), but humour yourself and just go ahead and be open, entertain the idea that you might be addicted - I know that when I read them I did a few double takes myself. There is always an overwhelming sense with these things that you can stop easily, "Yeah, I'm not addicted because I know I could stop whenever I wanted to, or if I needed to, I just don't want to stop." and that's not a good excuse in my books at least. Anyway, on with the show:

Top 5 Signs You Need Help With Gaming or Internet Addiction

• You feel really happy when you're online or when you're playing games, but as soon as you have to stop, you get angry or upset.
  • You think about going online or playing when you are supposed to be focusing on other things, like doing school work or having dinner with your family.
  • You spend more time with your keyboard or controller than physically hanging out with your friends.
  • Your friends or parents ask what you spend all your time doing, and you lie about it or laugh it off, but inside you know they may have a point.
  • You get up in the middle of the night to check your e-mail or your Facebook comments because you're having a hard time sleeping.

And another, this time from WebMD:

Spending a lot of time gaming doesn't necessarily qualify as an addiction. "Eighty percent of the world can play games safely," Bakker says. "The question is: Can you always control your gaming activity?"

According to the Center for On-Line Addiction, warning signs for video game addiction include:

• Playing for increasing amounts of time
  • Thinking about gaming during other activities
  • Gaming to escape from real-life problems, anxiety, or depression
  • Lying to friends and family to conceal gaming
  • Feeling irritable when trying to cut down on gaming

There is an extensive archive of information on the internet about symptoms for all kinds of things, so I'm not going to list any more than those two, but the website it is from has a wealth of information on the subject, much of which I will include in this thread. What I will do, however, is expand a bit on both the information above and the information on that website itself as well as a few tidbits I've learnt from other research.

I might get a bit anecdotal here, I don't know yet. There is a range of severity in gaming addiction, some people may spend 5+ hours on WoW, hardcore levelling all day every day whereas others might just play one or two hours of games and then just stay on the internet and watch their time slip away that way as well - you can hybridise these things, you see! It should also be pointed out, as in one of the quotes above, that just because someone games a lot doesn't neccesarily mean they're completely addicted, but there are scales of addiction, I think.

Personally, at this current moment in time I end up spending a couple of hours on Minecraft when I get home, playing with a friend, and then I lol about on the internet for the remaining 5ish hours that I am awake. That might just sound normal, or not even addicted, but it has quite a lot of symptoms of addiction to Gaming and the internet and I also found it has many of the downsides as well. I found my time slips away very quickly, at the end of every evening I sit here at my screen and think "I just wasted a whole 7 hours, how the Hamsters rock, Squirrels suck!?" or I think half-way through the evening, "I would get off, but there is nothing else to do". See, the problems with these addictions is that they can be as subtle as that and we are the best people at fooling ourselves, if I can be fooled by myself to waste my time every single evening of the week I am surprised that I haven't fooled myself into winning the lottery yet (it will happen one day, I'm sure). What I am trying to get across is that it is an extremely hard and difficult thing to even acknowledge, let alone address or act on it. It's all too easy to ignore it and then slip (back) into a worse addiction.

You might be in a similar situation to mine, or a milder one or even a more severe one. I just ask that you consider the idea of being addicted before just swiping it out as 'nope, definitely not me. I have a strong will' because I thought I had a strong will, and I do, but you know what beats a strong will? Yourself.

Is a 'Gaming Addiction' a negative thing?

Is it possible for it to be negative? I mean, being addicted to fun... what's so bad about that? And to that I say, is it really all fun and games? When something becomes a staple in your life or such an over-used part of the mechanisms of day to day life, it gradually loses its intended purpose, or rather your intended use of the game. Obviously this isn't a be all and end all rule, but I'll give an example:

So, you log into WoW everyday and play for 8-9 hours straight easily - are you entertained and having fun for most of that time? I'm going to bet no. You're likely to be power-levelling an alt and maybe not enjoying it, spamming rep or PvP points or constantly running dungeons just for a drop so you can get the next rung on the ladder. That next bit of gear is to be able to do the next raid which is then obsolete and you repeat this process again and again in a never-ending vicious circle, are you enjoying this or are you getting caught up in the run of things, almost like a day job? Do you have to keep on playing every day for 8 hours just to keep up with your guild? Now, I'd gather lots will argue 'But I do enjoy speaking to my guildies while playing' or, 'I love owning people, or getting higher DPS'. I can't answer specific arguments people put forth to me about their gaming habits, but maybe if you just be 100% straight with yourself, play your average week and keep strict notice of what you're actually doing, is it fun? Is it just a distraction? Are you just dependant on it and when you really, honestly, think about it... is it just not fun anymore?

There are other negatives to being addicted to gaming, of course. To name a few: You might find yourself going to bed very late every single day, falling behind on work, thinking about the game all the time, feeling irritable, corroding relationships with friends and family, not keeping in touch or going out with friends because it's a raid night, missing out on key social development if you're a teenager - if you're not very good socially in real life then gaming all the time may be the reason. There are also hygene issues from time to time, skipping a shower because of a raid for example, among other such as back aches, carpal tunnel, irregular eating etc.

This might all seem superflous and ridiculous, but if you look at it with an open-mind it really hits home much more.

Why people get addicted to video games

Lots of people get addicted to video games for many different reasons, but it mostly stems from real life context, really. Escapism is why people play games in the first place, it's always nice to escape from the boring bus journey with a bit of Angry Birds or while sitting at lunch to play some Temple Run. Why do people want to escape from their lives? Lots of perfectly valid reasons are to be listed here, but we're looking at why people really get addicted:

• Constant stress, be it from college work, family issues or other stuff can really drive someone just to get home and shut off and go back to their little cocoon in a game for hours on end.
  • Social ineptitude, this causes people to want to be someone else and escape their personality; you may not have friends at school but you have the power to command an entire guild of people on MMOs or to lead a party, be relied upon, be an important part of something - it sounds nice, doesn't it? The drawback of this is that you end up focusing all your time developing this 'imaginary' world, that it's easy to leave real life by the wayside and end up falling worse and worse in all areas of your life that you wish to improve upon. 
  • Accomplishment, this word probably seems a little out of place for reasons someone would get addicted, but let me explain how I mean it. When you play a game, or an MMO to be more specific, you grow in level, you find new items, new skills, gain titles, get pets, flashy armour, become known by other gamers - all this contributes to a sense of progress and accomplishment. This is because of a likely lack of accomplishment in waking life, why would you even try at school if you don't get gratification all the time, whereas on an MMO you can hardly fail, you keep on achieving and levelling up and using new items, being awesome and owning other players. The downside to this again is that you completely lose any will to even try to develop your academic life too much further. The reasoning being, why work at that when I can do this and it's easier and more fun? This mindset is wrong.

How to stop a 'Gaming Addiction'

Lots of ways, actually, and they're not all too difficult if you're really objective about things. Yes, stopping is extremely difficult, but the idea of stopping is the seed you need to plant and you need to grab onto and you need to hold until it grows. Here's some things to think about:

• What do you want to achieve in life? Do you want to be a level 90 Pandaren Monk that a bunch of other people on the same game can become, or do you want to actually work really hard towards something you want to do for the rest of your life? Work out where you want to be and work out how you're going to get there, if an MMO gets in the way of that, cut it down or cut it out. So many people have passed away too early in life and never got to even experience half the things we'll all hopefully get to experience, reach out and grab every moment don't sit there and fall into a rut.
  • Why are you playing this MMO so much? This one speaks for itself, be honest to yourself. Stop kidding yourself if you play 5 hours+ every single day and take a really long think about this one.

This one is from WebMD again, and I think it is worth reading:

Treatment for video game addiction is similar to detox for other addictions, with one important difference. Computers have become an important part of everyday life, as well as many jobs, so compulsive gamers can't just look the other way when they see a PC.

"It's like a food addiction," Young explains. "You have to learn to live with food." Because video game addicts can't avoid computers, they have to learn to use them responsibly. Bakker says that means no gaming. As for limiting game time to an hour a day, he compares that to "an alcoholic saying he's only going to drink beer."

Bakker says the toughest part of treating video game addicts is that "it's a little bit more difficult to show somebody they're in trouble. Nobody's ever been put in jail for being under the influence of [a game]."

The key, he says, is to show gamers they are powerless over their addiction, and then teach them "real-life excitement as opposed to online excitement."

I think that halting an addiction to games isn't about stopping suddenly and completely, but it's about re-evaluating what you want to do in life, what you get out of playing games and how much time you really will allow yourself to spend. I'm not going to regulate you, if you're an adult no one else will regulate you, it's a job for you. 

Two great resources I used:

WebMD - Video Game Addiction

Video-game-addiction.org

So...

As a closing few words, I hope this thread doesn't seem too condescending or high-horse-ey, because most of the time when I refer to 'you' as the audience, I am speaking to myself also. Lots of people will probably troll at me for making this and likely think I'm making the issue much bigger than it is or that I am criminalising gaming a lot and to that I say, Hamsters rock, Squirrels suck! you (I don't really, please don't hurt me). Nope, to that I say, if you've read this whole thread and the two websites I've linked then I know other way to communicate my points and we'll just have to agree to disagree. Lots of people will also likely react defensively to this, as this is sort of calling out a very personal thing in many of us and I doubt anyone messing up in your personal feelings is nice for anyone. I'm expecting either 'Tl;dr too confusing' posts or really heated responses.

P.S. Read the FAQ, I've made a few more new points in there.

FAQ

I think I might be addicted to games, or at least I play a heck of a lot, but you only refer to it as a bad thing and I think addictions can be good. Why don't you mention this?

I don't mention gaming addictions being good, because that would feel as if I were saying "Being an alcoholic is bad, although the upsides are that Red Wine has anti-oxidents in it". Yes, that is an extreme example, but it also illustrates my point perfectly. The fact is that being addicted to playing a certain game or a few games for excessive amounts of time is bad for you and is very damaging for all the reasons stated above and in the websites I've linked. I do want to mention though, that playing games can have upsides: feeling happier, more relaxed, making friends with people all over the world, feeling creative and learning misc. skills like better grammar or new words, but you don't need to be addicted to these upsides - why not reap the rewards without the penalties that addiction brings?

You're over-reacting, some people just like playing games okay? I hate you, Euph.

If after reading all this, you still think video game addiction is made up, insignificant or perhaps irrelevant to you then I can do no more to communicate my points. Hopefully you'll crack it one day.

Aren't you just being a hypocrite? You spend about a bajillion and one hours on TF every day, you probably go on Reddit all the time and lol about on Minecraft and Youtube?

This is a very valid question. I want to stress that I'm not preaching as if I am a saint; I'm trying to present my findings as another addict, so to speak. I spend waay too much time on the computer (because my work requires it, and this just seeps into social time) as does the rest of the computer-engorging world. I spend too much time refreshing the 'View New Content' page on here and I spend too much time just sitting around in some Minecraft world. This thread is almost a way of me breaking free from this, I really enjoy writing articles and I want to start writing more. I guess this is more of a quasi-article than an veritable one, but I've still enjoyed doing it. Once you realise you're doing something and your really, really enjoy it, it's the most effective way to start being productive and stop wasting your time - if that thing is WoW and you really revere it, maybe you're born to be a programmer? I don't know all the answers!

Do you have any -real- examples of gaming addictions?

Well, I've mentioned a couple of real-scenarios in this post and there are also never-ending things that come up on Google. However, to answer this I'll give you a real example from someone from the community in this very thread:

It is really easy to slip from hobby to addiction because because it happens slowly. It builds little by little. "Well, I stayed up 15 minutes later then I should have last night, and I woke up fine, so... I can do it again. I'll catch up on sleep this weekend." And before you know it your up 1,2,3 hours past when you should have gone to bed. Or you blow off things you planned to do, or even have to be doing, to keep up with forums or to play just a little longer. 

I have been guilty of this and I would wager a bet that most here have as well. I have full realization of my addiction to this and have taught myself to catch it and control it. It is something I currently deal with and will continue to deal with, especially when Titan is released. I find setting a timer is very effective. If I plan to play for an hour and a half and CAN'T turn off the game when the timer goes off, then I know I'm slipping and slap myself back into shape. My family has helped with this as well. I won't play ANY games or even check out TF for more the 5 minutes (this is why I pop in and out of chat so often) until my kids are in bed, even on the weekends. You NEED to keep your piorities in check, draw lines in the sand. Along with my family getting priority #1, I also won't start gaming until I get the other things I planned to do first (House work, bills, working out, etc). If I don't, they won't get done. I know this can take a lot of will power, I have failed a few times myself. But I know that when I put games before these other things, I am slipping.

Thanks for the read, please don't hate me, world.

Euph EuphEmoticon.png

<3

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

PinkPony

PinkPony
  • Early Adopter
  • 233 posts
Exalted

take everything in moderation :)

jonnyshiz

jonnyshiz
  • Early Adopter
  • 382 posts
  • Location - Irvine, CA
Exalted.gold

I actually appreciate you posting this. I think it's common knowledge that more than likely, most of us here on the TF forums spend more time playing video games than your average person. I'm grateful that we can talk about big-kid subjects like this.

Nice post Euph!

WickedWitchy

WickedWitchy
  • Early Adopter
  • 312 posts
  • Location - Netherlands
  • BT - WickedMir#1287
Exalted.platinum

Holy wall of text man oO

I can honestly say I'm a pc addict, not necessarily games only, and I feel as long as it doesn't interfere with my real life I'm totally cool with that.

~* Supporter of the Predictable Chaos Patch 1.0 *~

"Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Posted Image

Orhai

Orhai
  • Early Adopter
  • 159 posts
Honored

<gaming addict

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum

take everything in moderation :)

Amen to that! I should've mentioned that more in the post, I think. :)

I actually appreciate you posting this. I think it's common knowledge that more than likely, most of us here on the TF forums spend more time playing video games than your average person. I'm grateful that we can talk about big-kid subjects like this.

Nice post Euph!

Thanks Jonny, ironic for a kid such as myself to be leading up a big-kid subject ;) . I'm afraid after reading it over a few times I think I may have walled a bit too much and the prose may confuse and deter people! Ahh well.

Holy wall of text man oO

I can honestly say I'm a pc addict, not necessarily games only, and I feel as long as it doesn't interfere with my real life I'm totally cool with that.

Yah, sorry about that walling. :) And yeah, I'd put myself in the same box as you - more an internet addict though, but aren't we all? And, isn't that part of the problem?; it's socially acceptable. Also, you sure it doesn't interfere with your real life? Do you sit on the computer for hours on end when you get home? What could you do in the time you spend? Should I use some more rhetorical questions to sound further patronising? I'm sorry. :p

<gaming addict

And what're you going to do about it? :)

Thanks for the comments so far, guys. Always appreciated. 

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Best way to shake your gaming addiction? Start a game fansite! You won't have enough free time left to play anything! :lol:

I'll add a more serious and worthy of the original post reply tomorrow, as I can't get myself to read it now at almost 2AM.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Orhai

Orhai
  • Early Adopter
  • 159 posts
Honored

do something about it? blasphemy i am also addicted to the tv shows i get into or the manga i read or work when its engaging im just that kind of person

WickedWitchy

WickedWitchy
  • Early Adopter
  • 312 posts
  • Location - Netherlands
  • BT - WickedMir#1287
Exalted.platinum

Yah, sorry about that walling. :) And yeah, I'd put myself in the same box as you - more an internet addict though, but aren't we all? And, isn't that part of the problem?; it's socially acceptable. Also, you sure it doesn't interfere with your real life? Do you sit on the computer for hours on end when you get home? What could you do in the time you spend? Should I use some more rhetorical questions to sound further patronising? I'm sorry. :p

Actually, I start it up when I wake up and it's the last thing I see when going to bed. Honestly the PC is on all day. I read the news in the morning with my coffee, when I get back from work i catch up on things like Facebook, Titan Focus and so on. I don't feel it interferes with my real life at all, in the end I still have my household, cooking and baking to do, cleaning, doing my crafts and stuff like that. If something needs to be done I do it first before sitting down at the PC.  I still socialize with people outside ( outside.. oO ... gasp) party quite a bit and have one evening that's date night with the hubby. I do sit at the computer for long periods of time, gaming or socializing. The trouble is I have collected quite a bit of friends over the years that I can only interact with when I'm online. So when I'm not at the PC, especially during a vacation or something, I miss them instead of the internet? If that makes sense? I'm so used to sharing a ton of things with them that I feel disconnected when I'm not connected so to speak. Which is now solved since we have a Whatsapp group now so it doesn't bother me at all anymore. I can do without a pc for weeks on end but I can do without my friends.

With that said I have to agree with arbacus, there is just SO much to do. Even on the rare ocassion that my internet is out I still find ways to amuse myself with the PC. I have tons of shows I watch, movies to see, to write, playing with graphics, books to read, drawing and so on. This thing is just too darn convenient.

~* Supporter of the Predictable Chaos Patch 1.0 *~

"Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Posted Image

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare
It is really easy to slip from hobby to addiction because because it happens slowly. It builds little by little. "Well, I stayed up 15 minutes later then I should have last night, and I woke up fine, so... I can do it again. I'll catch up on sleep this weekend." And before you know it your up 1,2,3 hours past when you should have gone to bed. Or you blow off things you planned to do, or even have to be doing, to keep up with forums or to play just a little longer.

I have been guilty of this and I would wager a bet that most here have as well. I have full realization of my addiction to this and have taught myself to catch it and control it. It is something I currently deal with and will continue to deal with, especially when Titan is released. I find setting a timer is very effective. If I plan to play for an hour and a half and CAN'T turn off the game when the timer goes off, then I know I'm slipping and slap myself back into shape. My family has helped with this as well. I won't play ANY games or even check out TF for more the 5 minutes (this is why I pop in and out of chat so often) until my kids are in bed, even on the weekends. You NEED to keep your piorities in check, draw lines in the sand. Along with my family getting priority #1, I also won't start gaming until I get the other things I planned to do first (House work, bills, working out, etc). If I don't, they won't get done. I know this can take a lot of will power, I have failed a few times myself. But I know that when I put games before these other things, I am slipping.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

rs10rs10

rs10rs10
  • Early Adopter
  • 315 posts
  • Location - Denmark
  • BT - Rs10#2467
Exalted.platinum

Very well written mate! I agree with most of what you've said! :)

I think that halting an addiction to games isn't about stopping suddenly and completely, but it's about re-evaluating what you want to do in life, what you get out of playing games and how much time you really will allow yourself to spend. I'm not going to regulate you, if you're an adult no one else will regulate you, it's a job for you. 

Most importent part IMHO. 

"Rogues guard the secrets to poison-making carefully, lest magi start incorporating poison into their spells. Poisonbolt? Rain of Poison? Poison Elemental? Nobody wants that."

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

As others have said, I think gaming addiction isn't really a thing and labels shouldn't be given to specific addictions. If someone posses an addictive personality, they will be addicted to anything.

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Hi, my name is Mynsc, and I was a gaming addict.

I screwed up a year of my life because of it. It was actually the first year that I was away from home. I was so happy to be in a new, big city, far away from parents and chores and all that, that I stayed in the house and played games for an entire year. -_- Yeah, I know.. Funnily enough, it was a fun year and I don't really remember it with sadness or anything like that, but I definitely wouldn't do the same thing if I had the chance to repeat it.

After that year I started to gain control on this, but I still had periods of like 1,2 months in which I kept sacrificing important stuff just to overplay a new game or top some leaderboards.

I've been over it for quite a few years now (4,5) and the way I managed to do this was to cultivate an acute sense of guilt everytime I was playing too much or when I shouldn't have. It's basically impossible for me right now to fall into this trap again, because my conscience is ripping me apart every second along the way. :D Sounds weird, but god damn is it efficient.

It's pretty much impossible for me to play now if I know I should be doing something else. I'll even enter the game, start playing, but quit after 15 minutes max because I can't stand knowing I'm playing instead of going out / finishing a project, or whatever else I have on my agenda that day or week. 

So basically now I'm only playing towards the end of the day, when I'm too tired to do anything else, or in weekends / free days.

I know Euph already mentioned this, but it really is the biggest thing in my opinion, if you're fighting with gaming addiction: realize that any RL achievement trumps any game achievement (the gaming one gives you momentary pleasure, while the RL one gives you long-term satisfaction and also benefits) and know that you should feel very guilty for playing too much or when you really shouldn't.

If you do this long enough, you will develop a sense of responsibility and it will be impossible to enjoy your gaming unless you do it the right way. 

There's nothing wrong with doing a weekend marathon when a game launches, or playing two days in a row etc (although few other hobbies have the potential to consume so much of your time), just make sure you're not sacrificing other aspects of your life by doing this!

Edit: A more modern, extra advice for this is to transform your gaming sessions into something useful. If you really love a game and find yourself playing it quite a bit, maybe more than you should, turn it into something productive: build a mod for it (thus also learning programming / editing that can land you a job later on), or start a blog about it and monetize it, or why not, go full pro, or join an already existing website and be part of the team there, etc, etc.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Sig

Sig
  • Early Adopter
  • 133 posts
Exalted.bronze

I think addiction is a strong word in terms of labeling it to gaming, Excessive is a better word to me. When i think of addiction it always goes back to one thing, smoking. I smoke, And im fully aware im addicted, and im also well informed that my death is almost guaranteed to be related towards smoking, Yet im still lighting one up as im typing this, This is an addiction, If someone said to me "hey, drink this and you'll lose 10% of ure entire lifespan, but it tastes like orange juice!" would i or anyone drink it? No, yet i smoke and the effects are identical, and not only that i PAY for the privilege of shortening my life, its like saving up money to buy a gun to shoot yourself with, its insane if you think of it like that, but i STILL do it.

now we move on to gaming, i haven't yet heard of wide spread panic and suicide because people have lost there internet connection for a week, nor have i heard of anyone robbing a bank to be able to afford the new call of duty, As a skeptic, i doubt anyone is "addicted" in the fullest sense of the word to gaming, but dont get me wrong, im sure MANY people are compulsive/excessive gamers/internet users, And im one of them, during my school years wow was new, instead of studying or going out with friends i played wow for 8-10 hours/day 7 days a week, with more on weekends, To me this isnt an addiction, its just a massive, massive waste of time, Did i enjoy it? Yes and no, i enjoyed sucseeding in whatever i was doing in wow, but in reality it meant absolutely nothing, my grades suffered for it, not disastrously but im sure if i spent the time i spent gaming on studying i would have doubled my grades.

even in the present i excessively game and use the internet, ill have facebook open all day and never post anything, ill have a tab with youtube open all day and never play a song, ill have my email open all day ect ect ect, The first thing i thought upon opening the topic was a quote from the social network movie, and please forgive me i cannot remeber the entire thing but it went something like this, "we lived on farms, then citys and now we will live on the internet" how true is that? Very if you ask me, How many people do you know who dont own a PC/iphone/laptop or something that enables social connection through the internet, Gaming included. Not many under 50 id wager.

To sum up, do i think its an addiction? No, because i dont think anyone psychically needs to use the internet or they will suffer from withdrawel, or has symptoms that come with an addiction, Do i think people excessively use the net/gaming, absolutely.

I don't judge people on there age, gender, Weight, Height, looks, personality, religious or political views.

I judge people on there stupidity.

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum

Edit: A more modern, extra advice for this is to transform your gaming sessions into something useful. If you really love a game and find yourself playing it quite a bit, maybe more than you should, turn it into something productive: build a mod for it (thus also learning programming / editing that can land you a job later on), or start a blog about it and monetize it, or why not, go full pro, or join an already existing website and be part of the team there, etc, etc.

Amen to that, brotha!

I think addiction is a strong word in terms of labeling it to gaming, Excessive is a better word to me. When i think of addiction it always goes back to one thing, smoking. I smoke, And im fully aware im addicted, and im also well informed that my death is almost guaranteed to be related towards smoking, Yet im still lighting one up as im typing this, This is an addiction, If someone said to me "hey, drink this and you'll lose 10% of ure entire lifespan, but it tastes like orange juice!" would i or anyone drink it? No, yet i smoke and the effects are identical, and not only that i PAY for the privilege of shortening my life, its like saving up money to buy a gun to shoot yourself with, its insane if you think of it like that, but i STILL do it.

This sort of response is exactly why I put in 'Definition of Addiction'. It isn't just a word that refers to substances or sexual behaviours or whatever; it's something that is about general behaviours that are 'excessive', if you like. Addiction is about growing a dependancy of something and seemingly being unable to break this dependancy and when it does break one becomes distressed and suffers 'withdrawl'. Please read my 'Definition of Addiction' paragraph at the top of the thread, if you haven't done so already and if you have done so, re-read it. :)

now we move on to gaming, i haven't yet heard of wide spread panic and suicide because people have lost there internet connection for a week, nor have i heard of anyone robbing a bank to be able to afford the new call of duty, As a skeptic, i doubt anyone is "addicted" in the fullest sense of the word to gaming, but dont get me wrong, im sure MANY people are compulsive/excessive gamers/internet users, And im one of them, during my school years wow was new, instead of studying or going out with friends i played wow for 8-10 hours/day 7 days a week, with more on weekends, To me this isnt an addiction, its just a massive, massive waste of time, Did i enjoy it? Yes and no, i enjoyed sucseeding in whatever i was doing in wow, but in reality it meant absolutely nothing, my grades suffered for it, not disastrously but im sure if i spent the time i spent gaming on studying i would have doubled my grades.

Again, if one were to read my 'Definition of Addiction' paragraph, you'd see the points I made about 'invisible addiction' - things like this aren't always so clearly as visible as 'physical' addictions such as drinking or drug-use etc. However, they still aren't negligable things and that still doesn't mean it isn't an addiction - I also discuss this in the 'Is a 'gaming addiction' a negative thing?' paragraph.

even in the present i excessively game and use the internet, ill have facebook open all day and never post anything, ill have a tab with youtube open all day and never play a song, ill have my email open all day ect ect ect, The first thing i thought upon opening the topic was a quote from the social network movie, and please forgive me i cannot remeber the entire thing but it went something like this, "we lived on farms, then citys and now we will live on the internet" how true is that? Very if you ask me, How many people do you know who dont own a PC/iphone/laptop or something that enables social connection through the internet, Gaming included. Not many under 50 id wager.

To sum up, do i think its an addiction? No, because i dont think anyone psychically needs to use the internet or they will suffer from withdrawel, or has symptoms that come with an addiction, Do i think people excessively use the net/gaming, absolutely.

Your point about people excessively using phones, the internet, laptops etc. is a valid one, and I do mention it. I would go as far as to classify that as an addiction as well, depending on the person. For example, the BBM (BlackBerry Messaging) system went down a couple of times in the last year and some of my friends were very angry and irate for the rest of the day, they felt weird and kept on checking their phone to see if it was back up - it was super strange behaviour.

Lots of people can use thing safely, gaming a lot doesn't mean you're addicted if you're sensible with it (as mentioned in my post). However, if there are even a few of the negatives I've listed from addiction in this post then it is likely you are on your way to addiction.

I feel the need to drill back to my point that addiction isn't just physical, it's psychological (mental/in the mind). People do suffer from withdrawl/negative effects if they are addicted to games/internet/phones etc. I mention this multiple times in my post and it is also discussed extensively on the two links I provided.

I'm not sure if you read my post fully (I don't blame you, it was very long and wall-of-text-ey) or if I was just confusing in my words (which I feel like I was, even when I read it), but please take the time to re-read it again if you feel you mis-understood it. :)

Sig

Sig
  • Early Adopter
  • 133 posts
Exalted.bronze

Ashamed to admit, while i did skim your original post euph i didn't fully read it and absorb it all, ive re-read it and now i can see what you mean by the definition of the word addiction, i suppose blindly link that word to all the usual things rather than thinking more broadly about the term, Good post.

I don't judge people on there age, gender, Weight, Height, looks, personality, religious or political views.

I judge people on there stupidity.