Had a talk with Kauhsa a while ago and he managed to clear up some of the questions I had on the subject of moving the chat from the current "in-house" platform to IRC. So now I'd like to bring this discussion on the forums and see what you guys and gals think, especially if you've been using the current chat tool.
I'm leaning towards moving to IRC, but I'd like for us to take this decision together, since I don't really plan on joining IRC just to talk to myself. To better put things into perspective, I'll make a few lists with all the pros and cons of the 2 options we have available.
- much more customizable
- ability to host multiple channels (#titanfocus, #titanpedia, #tfStaff, etc, etc)
- will be easier to cooperate with the rest of the chat community that will form around the game
- completely free
- independent from the website's servers
- no limits for the number of channel members
- you can AFK all you want Euph without getting kicked out
- a bit harder to configure and less accessible, although there are very simple options that only require a click and a nickname to join
- no rank or avatar import or any other initial integration with the website. Anyone that joins can choose any nickname they want, different from the one on TF, which can make things a bit confusing.
- no custom Hamsters rock, squirels suck words filter
Current Chat platform
- very simple and accessible
- fully integrated with the rest of the website
- not free, gets more expensive as the number of chat members grows (not by much though... 15 bucks / 6 months for 50 max members)
- very simple
- might not scale well with a high number of people chatting, as the interface is not optimized for this.
- only one possible channel
- mods, admins, etc will probably still have to join IRC on a special channel in order to communicate easier with eachother.
Let me know of other PROs or CONS to any of the two options and I'll add them here so they get better visibility.
As you can see, there's a poll attached to this. While its results will matter in the final decision, it won't be the only deciding factor. Its main role is to get a clear look at the general preference.
22.03.2013 - testing out the IRC option. Try it out!