• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Anonymous

Anonymous
  • Early Adopter
  • 3 posts
Friendly

POPULAR

I found this site while trying to see if there is any additional information about Titan out yet. I made this fake forum account because I don't want to get anyone in trouble. As such, call this a rumor since I hope there is no way for anyone to find out my identity or credibility.

Last year I was talking with with some people that are Blizzard staff and I asked about project Titan (I will not mention where I talked to them or how I know them to protect their identities). While they were pretty tight lipped about it, they did reveal a few very basic things about the game.

First, they said that the name Titan is a code word derived from large mechanical-esk things in the game. The setting and mechanical-like 'Titans' were described to be as something akin to what you can find in the movie Wild Wild West (as in not mecha and not humanoid per say). They themselves seemed to have a hard time describing the setting or were being purposely cryptic. *Edit for clarity* they said not the same as Wild Wild West, just that was the closest approximation to the setting they could think of and I belive they where more refering to the 'Titans' beings, not the cowboy thing.

Second, it was strongly hinted that the game will have a MUCH MUCH heavier social aspect than any of their previous games, the social aspect being such an integral part of the game that they don't believe it will make it a major contender with WoW. They would not elaborate and I did not want to push my luck since they should not even mention these small things.

Third, they said one big reason they are not releasing info on the game despite the amount of time and resources already put into it is because the game is so incredibly complex in the amount of different things you can do in it that many entire portions and systems in the game may get scrapped/replaced/implemented at a much later date. (as an aside, this lead to a conversation about the Blizzard staff being cranky that so many people are idiots who take everything Blizzard considers as a possibility to put in their games as set in stone which is one of the main reasons they can't freely discuss the game)

I could get no more information other than that and me asking more about it makes the people I know uncomfortable. At the same time I could clearly see that they are REALLY excited about the game and really wanted to spill all the beans about it if they could do so without losing their job. They were so eager to talk about it but could not that I thought they must have leaked other things to other people so I came to this site to see if I can get any more info other than those small tidbits I got and it seems the answer is 'not really'.

If the rumors by alphaNoid are correct, the info I have about the setting in conjecture with the statement by alphaNoid about the game not being a true original IP may help people theorize what kind of game Titan will be. I am amazed at how well Blizzard has prevented info from sneaking out!

Edited by Anonymous, 24 January 2013 - 05:34 AM.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Hey there, welcome to TF.

First of all, it's not exactly firsthand info. It's second hand at best. :D And with no proof to back it up, we can't do much with it except pretend it might be true and do some speculation around it here in the forums. 

Dont get me wrong, I do appreciate you taking the time to write this, especially if it will prove to be true. As a side note, we can talk in private if you want and if you can provide verification for these claims. I can assure you that everyone's identity will be kept secret and as soon as I get the verification I need, I'll delete every trace of it, including your username etc.

Anyway, on to the info at hand.

First, they said that the name Titan is a code word derived from large mechanical-esk things in the game.

This is a bit weird since Titan is supposed to be just the codename. You don't choose a codename that is too closely related to the game's story / mechanics, because you eliminate like half the reasons of choosing one anyway. I guess Titan is ambiguous enough though so it's possible.

Your info is also the most obvious and simple explanation for this codename. If you look at some of the previous articles, we went pretty far away from the obvious with our theories. :D Anyway, the WWW-like giant machines sound like an interesting story plot.

Second, it was strongly hinted that the game will have a MUCH MUCH heavier social aspect than any of their previous games, the social aspect being such an integral part of the game that they don't believe it will make it a major contender with WoW. They would not elaborate and I did not want to push my luck since they should not even mention these small things.

This is in line with other previous rumors (one, two), so it's nothing new. I am starting to believe it though. :D

Third, they said one big reason they are not releasing info on the game despite the amount of time and resources already put into it is because the game is so incredibly complex in the amount of different things you can do in it that many entire portions and systems in the game may get scrapped/replaced/implemented at a much later date.

This part is the most interesting one. It screams "sandbox"! :D Maybe a social sandbox like Second Life, although I'm sure they're going to place a lot of combat in the middle of it too.

Anyways, thanks again for writing this. It's really fun reading this type of posts, even if we can't rely on any info transmitted through them.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Eremite

Eremite
  • Global Moderator
  • 430 posts
  • Location - Hawaii
Exalted.master

I love posts like this, true or not.  It really gets the creative juices going, pondering all the possibilities once again.

It's certainly possible that they chose Titan as a codename because of a direct relation to mech or some "Titan" creatures within the game, but I would be disappointed that they didn't choose a codename with a broader scope and deeper meaning.

I'm not quite so far gone as hamster boy (mynsc) in thinking that what you said "screams" sandbox, but I suppose it can point that way.  Complexity can take many forms after all, and we could still have a ridiculous amount of things to do in a railroad themepark (not that I'm advocating another one)!

And now that you mentioned Wild Wild West all I can think of are Will Smith and Kevin Kline running around in my MMO...

Anonymous

Anonymous
  • Early Adopter
  • 3 posts
Friendly

Opps, indeed you are correct, second hand info, I highly doubt you will ever get first hand info from anyone at Blizzard. Seems I can't edit the topic of a thread.

I should mention that the reason I am posting this at all is for myself, not for prestige or trolling which is why am not giving any kind of handle other than 'Anonymous'. I know the information I have is true, so regardless of if others beleive me, I can use the collective brain power of the people here to help me make connections that I could not based on the little information I have. You have already helped me a bit in that regard.

Althought the info I have is meager, it is enough for me to identify fake sources more readily. For example, I have a prety good idea about the fact that it is HIGHLY unlikely ANY Blizzard employee will post anonymous information (other than minor things accidently). The people I know at Blizzard are, surprise surprise, geeks to the core and not at all the kind of people I would call secretive or tight lipped. Despite this, the normally loose lipped people I know would give me almost no information about the game (I would not be here if they did, all they did was wet my apetite for more information and then give me none, but I could tell they really wanted to squeal). I also know that anyone claiming that they know the mening of Titan that does not loosly match what I heard is not a credible source.

If I give my source, the people I know risk losing their jobs and I risk never having them talk to me again (as it is, there already are some very minor hints as to what my source is due to my poor word choice). I don't think that risk is worth it in exchange for my credibility (I don't think me being credible is important to get the info I want). I don't think you can convince me there is a compelling reason to risk revealing my source, so lets treat this post like the following; If my information were hypothetically true, how does this information tie into what we alreadly know/suppose about the game?

In reguards to the title of Titan being too obvious, I do not beleive it is. The people I was talking to went into detail about the project names of prior games and expansions and most of them were obscure out of context yet obvious in context. It was over a year ago so I can't remember the other project names well, but some of the other people I was with probably can and that information is likely no longer secret so it could probably be searched on the internet. The game is not just about the large 'Titan' sized things, they are just a part of it. They are also not typical 'Titans', as titan only really describes their size, not anything else (that I know of) about them.

I also wanted to add that I did ask about combat. I could get NOTHING, not even the tiniest peep or hint out of them about that. I wonder if there is a clue in that fact. Why give me the setting and genre but be extra defensive about saying anything about combat. I could not even get a yes or no for if there is any combat at all, literally nothing.

Anonymous

Anonymous
  • Early Adopter
  • 3 posts
Friendly

Now getting a bit back on track, assuming that 'Titan' could most closely be represented by, but not be exactly like the steampunkish mechanic large things like the spider in Wild Wild West, and assuming that alphaNoid also is correct in saying that project Titan is likely an IP spinoff, what existing franchises would such things fit into? Starcraft seems a little too high-tech (while WWW is early fictional steam-punk tech), Diablo has big nasties in it (and there is nothing to say weather these Titans are more mechanic than organic, but I have a hard time seeing how a heavy social game would fit into the Diablo universe). WoW has a great setting for that kind of tech. They have 'Titans' who could have build god knows what, some that are even sentient, but do you think blizzard would really be so obvious with their name or even bother making a spinoff of a spinoff (I suppose the money would be prety guarenteed though, but I really hope it is not a WoW spinoff). I all honesty, I really don't see where it would fit.

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

First, welcome to the site. We like every bit of rumor and gossip here. No need for it to be true, we will take it for what it is and have fun with it, that's why we are here :)

First, they said that the name Titan is a code word derived from large mechanical-esk things in the game. The setting and mechanical-like 'Titans' were described to be as something akin to what you can find in the movie Wild Wild West (as in not mecha and not humanoid per say). They themselves seemed to have a hard time describing the setting or were being purposely cryptic. *Edit for clarity* they said not the same as Wild Wild West, just that was the closest approximation to the setting they could think of and I belive they where more refering to the 'Titans' beings, not the cowboy thing.

This sounds like one of the rumors I found a while back and posted in a thread called "rumors without any credible source". Basically he was saying that Titan is like Team Fortress 2 with robots.  haven't played Team Fortress but isn't the setting like "wild west"? I guess it's some kind of "post apocalyptic", "steampunk" or something along those lines. 

Here is the rumor:

Somebody on an Escapist thread claims that he was an employee at Blizzard and had had the opportunity to play the alpha-version of Titan during his tenure there.

He says that the game is pretty much Team Fotress 2 with robots, and the gameplay would be objective-based.
What think System Warriors?

Link:

Second, it was strongly hinted that the game will have a MUCH MUCH heavier social aspect than any of their previous games, the social aspect being such an integral part of the game that they don't believe it will make it a major contender with WoW.

This has been stated several times in the past and I don't know if I should be happy or scared for this. WoW had this natural way of socializing before 
being world of queue craft. There was nothing anti social with WoW. Rumors emphasing this makes me think "iphones/facebook/twitter/tablets" integration to the game. Oh well, time will tell and I trust in Blizzard.

Third, they said one big reason they are not releasing info on the game despite the amount of time and resources already put into it is because the game is so incredibly complex in the amount of different things you can do in it that many entire portions and systems in the game may get scrapped/replaced/implemented at a much later date.

Blizzard has hinted that the project/game is one of their biggest so far. I think they are "secretely" testing stuff in their other games to see what works so I don't see this strange at all. 

I wish they would say something about combat because that is one of the things we have heard the least about. As much as I would love some kind of tactical 3rd person shooter I think most of the shooter talk comes from the fans, seeing the hires doing some "analysis" and the spread of mouth going from "they have hired a guy that has worked with FPS" to lot of posts on forums going "I believe Blizzard has already stated that it is FPS". :)

Ghost

Ghost
  • Early Adopter
  • 42 posts
  • Location - Japan
Honored

Whether you're full of crap or not, it's fun to read these kinds of posts and I hope to see more from you.

Am I the only one who felt like Titan is even farther away than we (the majority) think it is, after reading this post? Seriously. I'm thinking 2016+

Anjloh

Anjloh
  • Early Adopter
  • 24 posts
  • Location - Toronto, ON
Honored

Whether you're full of crap or not, it's fun to read these kinds of posts and I hope to see more from you.

Am I the only one who felt like Titan is even farther away than we (the majority) think it is, after reading this post? Seriously. I'm thinking 2016+

I say Q2 2014 give or take!

That new game Cyberpunk 2077 is releasing 2016 and they've only started on development.

Besides, what can they release this Blizzcon! One expansion of WoW? I doubt it!

Ghost

Ghost
  • Early Adopter
  • 42 posts
  • Location - Japan
Honored

I say Q2 2014 give or take!

That new game Cyberpunk 2077 is releasing 2016 and they've only started on development.

Besides, what can they release this Blizzcon! One expansion of WoW? I doubt it!

Blizzard isn't going to release a game less than a year after officially announcing it.

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

Blizzard isn't going to release a game less than a year after officially announcing it.

Blizzard have said that after the announcement and subsequent ridiculously long time Diablo 3 was still in development they would like to cut back on doing such things again.

So any newly announced games should only be 1 - 2 years before release, unlike the crazy wait we had after D3's announcement. So if they do announce Titan at this years Blizzcon, i strongly think that it will be out by 2015 -16 at the latest ( i hope :) )

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

Ghost

Ghost
  • Early Adopter
  • 42 posts
  • Location - Japan
Honored

Blizzard have said that after the announcement and subsequent ridiculously long time Diablo 3 was still in development they would like to cut back on doing such things again.

So any newly announced games should only be 1 - 2 years before release, unlike the crazy wait we had after D3's announcement. So if they do announce Titan at this years Blizzcon, i strongly think that it will be out by 2015 -16 at the latest ( i hope :) )

Yeah, I know, but it doesn't matter what they've said...a Q2 2014 release (if Titan is announced at Blizzcon) is nearly impossible.

This is Blizzard we're talking about.

And yes, 2015-2016 is much more reasonable, and infinitely more likely than a mid-2014 release.

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

Yeah, I know, but it doesn't matter what they've said...a Q2 2014 release (if Titan is announced at Blizzcon) is nearly impossible.

This is Blizzard we're talking about.

And yes, 2015-2016 is much more reasonable, and infinitely more likely than a mid-2014 release.

You're probably right, Blizzard NEVER meet their release dates. Actually, I prefer if they don't because that means that the game wasn't ready and therefore they're going to lengthen the development process in order to ensure tat the game is better. Except with Diablo 3, that thing sucks :D

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

It could be 2016 + but I think not... if we do get an announcement at this year's Blizzcon. I think we'll see a mid to late 2015 release. Here is the format which I think Blizzard will follow after announcing Titan.

• Blizzcon 2013 announcement of Titan, they will provide a lot of information about the game.
  • Blizzcon 2014, more information will be released and they will announce a release date. I don't think that they'll announce it too early in regards to the release date like Diablo III.
  • Mid to late 2015, game is released. If not, release date is announced for early 2016 at Blizzcon 2015.

Also, this is my 100th post! :D

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

Also id expect to see an extremely large and lengthy BETA for Titan as well, if we assume that they intend to keep their promise that they are going to shorten the time between when they announce and when they release then i think a rough guesstimate in terms of a time frame for a BETA, i think it would be around the mid 2015 area. I dont want to look to far into something like that right now lol, jumping the gun a bit. :)

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

Also id expect to see an extremely large and lengthy BETA for Titan as well, if we assume that they intend to keep their promise that they are going to shorten the time between when they announce and when they release then i think a rough guesstimate in terms of a time frame for a BETA, i think it would be around the mid 2015 area. I dont want to look to far into something like that right now lol, jumping the gun a bit. :)

I agree, they have stated multiple times that the game will be revolutionary in it's nature for lack of a better term. And if it truly is revolutionary, it'll be extensive testing. I am glad to hear that Blizzard are shortening the time between announcement and releases for their games now, I don't want another Diablo III.

I'm going to say that the beta will begin sometime around Christmas 2014, January 2015. They could announce the beta release date at Blizzcon 2014 and announce the full release sometime throughout 2015.

AndyGee

AndyGee
  • Early Adopter
  • 29 posts
Honored

So if the Wild wild west movie from 1999 is the closest appoximation... then we can say steampunk-ish.

spider.jpg

According to myself and many others, the era of theme park mmos are coming to an end.

So we are looking at a Steampunk Sandbox MMO.

TIME TO SPECULATE! :D

I got this idea

1. gathering materials, fuel etc

2. combining/refining

3. creating components

4. connecting components (assembling small projects)

5. assembling large projects

6. use created machines to fight others

7. use created machines to fight mobs/bosses, which guards rare materials

8. repeat 1-7.

The combat system is basically a product of the crafting system! but NOTHING is set in stone, I mean.. there are no pre-decided machines that can be built like "you need 3x 9y 10z to build this machine". You design your own machines from scratch and it doesnt have a name (hell, it doesnt even exist) until you create it. Some easy tutorials to build basic stuff like a bicycle for example could be included to get you into the thinking process of designing new machines.

My points with such a system is that players would spend hours and hours creating new content for the game. Everywhere you look you would see something you never saw before. When fighting other guilds.. there is no perfect design... there is always a way to change for your own benefit (this is game theory guys). When you change your design, the other guild can change to something that beats yours and so on.

As far as updates go, blizz need only provide the tools to create new stuff (for example some new type of hydrocompressor or I dont know, anything!) and see the magic happen.

BACK TO EARTH

I just want a dynamic sandbox mmo where there will always be something you can do (without grinding 100 hours) to make your position better. I also full heartedly hope blizzard understands the potential of "platform" based things where users dont consume content... they create the content! and what better setting for creating stuff than a steampunk setting?

/Andy

Kryss

Kryss
  • Early Adopter
  • 16 posts
  • Location - France
Honored

Since Destiny setting is pure Sci-Fi and WoW covers the Medieval Fantasy worlds, I don't expect Activision to release another MMO competing with those two. So, yes, Steampunk fits definitely for a brand new MMO (or historical MMO but I don't see players being that interested in playing Ancient Greeks or Renaissance soldiers in a sole setting). 

Add the heavy social side with probable casual/side games through smartphone/tablets support…

With people having such a crush on being able to fully customize your avatar, we can imagine really "building" our character (here, a giant machinery), effectively merging resources management + crafting aspect of the game with character progression… And the dual game thingy (one social life mode and one adventure mode) would correspond to "enrich yourself/find ressources/build energy plants/use economics and social//construct giant robot" mode vs "explore and fight" mode.

PinkPony

PinkPony
  • Early Adopter
  • 233 posts
Exalted

:D Anyway, the WWW-like giant machines sound like an interesting story plot.

Makes me think about steampunk style again.

To quote our "anonymous informant";

This info seems like crafting will also be a major part in the game (since such big machinery points towards a big and complex crafting part).

If you are not trolling, it seems like we get an improved "Second Life" game (technically as well as in terms of graphics).

And all that with a breeze of steampunk-ish style. 

I always take such posts with a grain of salt, but as Blizzard already stated that their playerbase would be surprised by what they'll get this time (because it's almost a complete departure of all their other games), I have some faith in your information you handed us out. Remember Blizzard making such sort of a game? Not really, so yeah, this explains why I think this isn't a troll topic. 

Third, they said one big reason they are not releasing info on the game despite the amount of time and resources already put into it is because the game is so incredibly complex in the amount of different things you can do in it that many entire portions and systems in the game may get scrapped/replaced/implemented at a much later date. (as an aside, this lead to a conversation about the Blizzard staff being cranky that so many people are idiots who take everything Blizzard considers as a possibility to put in their games as set in stone which is one of the main reasons they can't freely discuss the game)

Your declaration of why Blizzard cannot talk about titan's ingame features so early sounds reasonable. 

I could get no more information other than that and me asking more about it makes the people I know uncomfortable. At the same time I could clearly see that they are REALLY excited about the game and really wanted to spill all the beans about it if they could do so without losing their job. They were so eager to talk about it but could not that I thought they must have leaked other things to other people so I came to this site to see if I can get any more info other than those small tidbits I got and it seems the answer is 'not really'.

Well, all we can do is to speculate and/or rely on people like you.

If you have connections, you could ask an insider and try find out how long they'll approx. need to finish titan, so we get an update in which state the game is now. The latest info we've got is that titan has about 100 devs and has still a long way to go because they're dead in the middle of development.

Btw.: Look at our launch prediction thread and take the average. Everything is pointing towards an blizzcon 2013 announcement in Q4 (november) and a Q4 2014 - early 2015 launch (at least the beta version could be available).

PinkPony

PinkPony
  • Early Adopter
  • 233 posts
Exalted

They said that the name Titan is a code word derived from large mechanical-esk things in the game. The setting and mechanical-like 'Titans' were described to be as something akin to what you can find in the movie Wild Wild West (as in not mecha and not humanoid per say). They themselves seemed to have a hard time describing the setting or were being purposely cryptic. *Edit for clarity* they said not the same as Wild Wild West, just that was the closest approximation to the setting they could think of and I belive they where more refering to the 'Titans' beings, not the cowboy thing.

So if the Wild wild west movie from 1999 is the closest appoximation... then we can say steampunk-ish.

spider.jpg

According to myself and many others, the era of theme park mmos are coming to an end.

So we are looking at a Steampunk Sandbox MMO.

These concept artworks from Nick Carver are really close to what you guys are talking about:

bombus_mk1.jpg

original.jpg

Humanoid/mecha transformation?

original.jpg

This construct is really titanic. Look at the man who's working on it. That's one example of how crafting could look like in Titan (arc welding lol) :-D

original.jpg

Thought this should be mentioned if we talk about our anonymous source over here... are you still considering steampunk style as a serious possibility for Titan?

Edited by silverslide, 08 March 2013 - 12:19 AM.

PinkPony

PinkPony
  • Early Adopter
  • 233 posts
Exalted

I recently thought about Rob Pardos statement

"We think people are gonna be really excited about it… not really expect what they see coming from this this time.".

And then I looked at some of the artists portfolios.

What came into my mind is kind of a NeedForSpeed-MMO or something like a better much more diversified TestDriveUnlimited. Why? See link.

http://www.artemstud...te/gallery.html

Why would Blizzard hire such great car-artists if they don't really need em? Also look at this car: http://www.artemstud...ry/Mistral.html

Now imagine an MMO that has some aspects from NeedForSpeed, TestDriveUnlimited, SecondLife and Mafia 2. We wouldn't think of it right now. 

Okay, I'm just mentioning different types and mixes of MMOs from time to time over here, just for the reason to see if we got a direct hit when Titan will be released. I want to mention as much types of MMOs as possible. We shouldn't focus on a particular MMO-style. 

Well, what do you think. Do you have any different ideas what Titan could be (besides the typical WoWish assumptions)?