mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Support TF page

Supporter or not, if you have any questions, problems or suggestions related to the Supporter option, this is the thread to express them. :)

I'll be updating this post with an FAQ of some sort, depending on what issues you guys have or what suggestions you give. For example:

12 Nov 2012, Issue #1 - To change back to the original background, the blue spaceish one, choose the first option from the left. Yes, the pink one. It's disguised under that one, for now.

18 Jan 2013, Update

• Added two additional payment options: Bitcoin and payments directly towards my (future) hosting provider, DreamHost.
  • Reworked the entire donation process into a Supporter package purchase. Since this website is not exactly a non-profit endeavor, I felt it wasn't fair calling it donating. This description I believe is clearer and more to the point.
  • Added new perks to the now named Supporter package: Backstage access, more freedom for your signature, syncronize TF profile with Facebook / Twitter, no limit on the number of Private Messages you can store + more available invites. These of course on top of the already existing ones. See them all on the Support TF page.

More than ever, really interested to know what you guys think about this recent update, especially if it's (constructive) criticism!

27.02.2013, small tweak - The value of bitcoins seems to be going up quite fast, so I had to re-configure the buttons on the Support page. When I initially added them, 1 Bitcoin = about 15 dollars. Now it's 31 and still going up! So I introduced a new 0.25 BTC button and deleted the 5 BTC one which now had a pretty silly value (over 150 bucks).

As with all payment options, if you want to pay a sum that is not available straight from the Support page, no matter if it's smaller or bigger than the standard ones, let me know and we'll make it happen.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Huge Update bump, also reserving this post for later use.

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum
  • Added new perks to the now named Supporter package: Backstage access, no signature limits, syncronize TF profile with Facebook / Twitter, no limit on the number of Private Messages you can store + more available invites. These of course on top of the already existing ones. See them all on the Support TF page.

The 'no signature limits' worries me. If I'm thinking big-scale, imagine how trolled we could get by a group of people deciding to give $5 each and then just posting huge offensive images in their signatures, or lots and lots of links or-... I just can't bear to think about it! Or, the worst ones being people just having medium sized images on their sigs to make their whole post have more gravitas and to, I don't know how to explain it but I mean things like this, or this or even this... I think a forum shouldn't be so much about trying to show off your profile to individuals, images like these is the equivalent of exploding a bottle of glue in a room and then throwing glitter everywhere. Horrible.

Otherwise, it seems all good... although it'd be nice to have other ways to have no limit on PMs, if there's a community member that's constantly using them for the good of everyone else I think it'd be a shame to prevent that.

:)

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

WickedWitchy

WickedWitchy
  • Early Adopter
  • 312 posts
  • Location - Netherlands
  • BT - WickedMir#1287
Exalted.platinum
The 'no signature limits' worries me. If I'm thinking big-scale, imagine how trolled we could get by a group of people deciding to give $5 each and then just posting huge offensive images in their signatures, or lots and lots of links or-... I just can't bear to think about it! Or, the worst ones being people just having medium sized images on their sigs to make their whole post have more gravitas and to, I don't know how to explain it but I mean things like this, or this or even this... I think a forum shouldn't be so much about trying to show off your profile to individuals, images like these is the equivalent of exploding a bottle of glue in a room and then throwing glitter everywhere. Horrible.

Otherwise, it seems all good... although it'd be nice to have other ways to have no limit on PMs, if there's a community member that's constantly using them for the good of everyone else I think it'd be a shame to prevent that.

I have to agree with Euph on this.

You could switch up the limits in size in the signature, meaning allow for example 1 image, certain size in KB and certain size in width and height, and up that when people get more involved/rewarded members/supporters. Supporters maybe can be able to use a max of 3 images, total of max 1 MB or something along those lines. Also you should consider the usage of gifs in a signature, that stuff can drain a site in terms of loading speed and such. Perhaps allow it for now and limit it when the site hits X amount of members. Or not allow it at all which is imho best.

~* Supporter of the Predictable Chaos Patch 1.0 *~

"Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Posted Image

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
The 'no signature limits' worries me. If I'm thinking big-scale, imagine how trolled we could get by a group of people deciding to give $5 each and then just posting huge offensive images in their signatures, or lots and lots of links or-... I just can't bear to think about it!

Yup I'm expecting that, hence why I've made it clear from the start that signatures will be moderated accordingly. You are free to choose whatever signature you want, but that doesn't mean it won't get deleted if it's offensive. This is a risk though even with limited signatures. It only takes one link or a 100x30 picture to cause offense, so in the end the no limit thing does not add much to the problem.

Or, the worst ones being people just having medium sized images on their sigs to make their whole post have more gravitas and to, I don't know how to explain it but I mean things like this, or this or even this... I think a forum shouldn't be so much about trying to show off your profile to individuals, images like these is the equivalent of exploding a bottle of glue in a room and then throwing glitter everywhere. Horrible.

While I do agree with you here, in the end this it's just personal preference. Having one of those images as a signature is not breaking any rules and it's not offensive. It may be considered in bad taste as you say, but that's not exactly something I want to moderate too strictly. I can see changing some rules later down the road if things get out of hand, but I doubt that it will happen. People that have the means to give money to a random forum are usually well into their adulthood and as such huge "bumper stickers" with Twilight or whatever else should not be too attractive to them. :D But if it is, who am I to judge though, so if they don't overdo it with an image that's too big, they're free to do it.

Good point, but I want to make two observations:

• The limit isn't really a limit, as in you won't lose access to your private conversations once you reach the cap. It's just a storing limit, as in you can't store more conversations than 100 (the current limit for Early Adopters). A conversation can have 100 responses in it, it will still count as one btw. Anyway, if you reach the limit you can just delete some of the older ones that you have no interest in saving.
  • It's not feasible to allow everyone unlimited storing capacity for their Private Messages. It's a useless burden on the server. Like I said above, the limit isn't really a limit, but more like an incentive for people to clean their inboxes once a year, if they get close to the cap. :D

-----

Dammit Euph, you've made me think about the signature thing. Without changing the text there too much, I can limit the max allowed dimensions for the images, so I guess it's safer I do that from the start. It's not a restrictive limit (I'm thinking 700 x 225), but it should prevent crazy stuff from happening.

Edit:

@Euph & Witchy

OK, gave it a bit more thought and here's what I came up with:

Members and Early Adopters: max 1 image, max dimensions: 600x150, max urls: 6, max rows: 6

Supporters: max 3 images, max dimensions 700x225, no limit on links or rows.

I can't control the type of image or its size unfortunately.

What do you think?

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum
@Euph & Witchy

OK, gave it a bit more thought and here's what I came up with:

Members and Early Adopters: max 1 image, max dimensions: 600x150, max urls: 6, max rows: 6

Supporters: max 3 images, max dimensions 700x225, no limit on links or rows.

I can't control the type of image or its size unfortunately.

What do you think?

I concede to your previous points about signatures. With these suggested ideas I think they seem okay for image size, although I'm assuming the 'Supporters' one is 3 images of 700x225? Also, I worry about no limit on rows - I know I'm being a stickler here! - but I think maybe a set amount of lines should be kept to just to ensure no sigs go crazy.

^ I mean, 20 lines is huge. D: Also, if they can have 3 700x225 images, imagine the pain!

DunesPark029-700x225.jpg

DunesPark029-700x225.jpg

DunesPark029-700x225.jpg

^ I know that image is pretty, but fbgiuhgudhgdiugh.

Sigs can be moderated, but when we blow up in size it'll just add so much work that could be mostly cleaned up with generous restrictions. Most of the people causing the issues won't be doing it to troll, they just really enjoy being able to celebrate their profile a lot through their signature (trust me, I used to be one of those people).

It is personal preference, but I also think other factors like loading and the experience for other users is integral too (not that you haven't thought about that). :)

Also, shame about the type of image/size that Wicked mentioned. Gifs destroy my web pages.

Hopefully everyone else will chime in later on.

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

I don't want to restrict signatures too much from the start, just because of the extreme examples.

Unfortunately I can't set conditions like: if 3 images are used, then only one can be big and the rest should be small. I can only set the max number of images and max dimensions for any image. In reality, if anyone will use 3 images, they'll probably be all small, or just one big and the others like emoticons or something. This is a completely fair use, but if I want to prevent the extreme example you mention, I'll have to restrict this fair-use case too in the process.

I hope you understand what I mean. I think it's best that I don't place initial restrictions that are too harsh and just deal with the extreme examples on a case-by-case basis.

About the rows thing, 20 is indeed a bit over the top, but at the same time, text inside the signatures does not affect loading times (it's all being cached anyway) and it doesn't slow down scrolling through the topic even on a bad PC, so I don't see it as a very big issue.

Still, just so I don't give false impressions to those that might get the Supporter package, it seems fair to set a generous limit from the start. 15 I think is ok?.

HAPPY NOW EUPH??? SHEESH

Seriously though, have a medal. You always provide great feedback (you got me started on the chat thing, you suggested a separate Support TF page, and you always "bug" me with tweaks like the ones from this thread that in the end lead to better implementation), so it's the least I can do to show you that I really do appreciate it. I do hope that this doesn't mean you'll start slacking from now on! :D

Let me know if you want to tooltip changed in any way. 

Also, nothing is set in stone yet, so if anyone has any other suggestions or opinions about what we've talked, I'm all ears (eyes?)!

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum

Nawh shucks. Your points do seem to make sense, and because of a result of WickedWitchy's Marvel thread I found this thread with fairly big sigs and they seem fine to me... individual expression is always nice when people are responsible and I agree - I don't think the restrictions (or lack thereof) will be a problem in the months to come. Perhaps we'll find when there's thousands of members that it's absolutely fine, or that it needs tweaking, only time will tell!

WickedWitchy

WickedWitchy
  • Early Adopter
  • 312 posts
  • Location - Netherlands
  • BT - WickedMir#1287
Exalted.platinum

Also Euph, on IP Boards you're able to disable signatures from others ;)

So if you get too blue in the face you can switch it off for a specific member if they pain you with sparkly glitter images :D

~* Supporter of the Predictable Chaos Patch 1.0 *~

"Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Posted Image

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Small update to the bitcoins option (you can read about it in the OP), as part of the "finances revamp day" here on TF. :D

Also looking into adding a direct payment gateway, so people can pay without going through PayPal, but ETA on that is not yet clear.