Fitness without a gym?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum
So, I'm no expert... but I'm guessing those in this section are. Google is a great resource, but it's also always useful to talk to people who actually know their stuff face to face.

Anyways I want to ask you this:

If you're a skinny person, what do you think are the best exercises to do within your home without exercise equipment? How often? How long for? Should I 'feel the burn'?

In terms of diet I think I've got it down, but I really have no idea if my exercises are even right and what to do with them once I reach a plateau? Because I know volume is not key.

Thanks,
Euph

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare
Ok, http://www.dnainfo.c...out-without-gym

Happy?

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold
Ive been going to the Gym for the better part of about 3 years now.

It all depends on what your trying to achieve?

The most important thing in any exercise plan or routine is a good diet. If you have a well balanced diet then again it comes down to what exactly your trying to do.

If you feel that you have a good diet and its not keeping weight off as much as you would like or as much as it was before then you may need to change your Routine. Muscles have a tendency through repetition to become less fatigued from stress, obviously, the usual way to avoid this effect is by increasing the stress or resistance being placed on the muscle or the duration of stress/resistance. A common practice is to change your Routine every couple of Months to avoid Muscle Memory and you will most likely see increased gains from your routines once you change your focus groups exercises.

Im no expert on it either but the Link Sarnakyle will set you straight as well.

I just wanted to give you some food for thought on my experiences.

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

Silverthorn

Silverthorn
  • Early Adopter
  • 52 posts
  • Location - Trondheim
Honored
If you want to gain size, you need to eat more than you burn, preferably a lot of protein. In addition you have to increase the resistance you're working with as you progress. Body weight training is a good start, but you will need to put more weight on after a while. What works for me is 5 sets of 5 reps or 3-4 sets with 8-12 reps. It takes a while to figure out what works for you and your body, so just try different things and have fun with it :) and remember, time is definitely the key. Nothing happens over night.

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare
Look, I started a trend :)

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum
Ahh really great guys, thanks for the advice. Hopefully others can benefit from this thread as well and if it begins to get bigger I'll just update the OP with your useful info. :turned:

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

Ellendway

Ellendway
  • Early Adopter
  • 45 posts
  • Location - Paris
Friendly

Mr. Frenchie (me) needs your help.

I can feel that my belly is bigger and bigger everyday. Thank you very much work!

I have to start with some exercise as soon as possible (and I'd like to know the best one). Sadly I cannot visit gym because my shifts are horrible (from 2pm to 11pm atm) and I have to do everything at home. I am currently looking just for belly because I am a huge fan of shirts and it just doesn't look nice when you got an awesome shirt and belly.

The workout itself should be for ~15 minutes every day and it should be a total burnout. I also prefer something where I don't need to use my knees a lot (Krav Maga ruined them, yey!) so I wouldn't need to use my pain killer pills all the time.

I was thinking about a jumping rope for 5 - 10 minutes and this workout -

I want to also ask about food. I am not a vegan or a vegetarian and I'd like to eat meat. Should I completely skip meat for several weeks and eat just vegetable and fruits?

Merci boys and girl. The best answer will receive... nothing. But I will be happy and I will like you!

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

There are four key areas you need to change or modify in your life that will help you in losing weight and it might not be as bad as you think.

Exercise - Obviously vigorous exercise trims fat, since your limited to your upper body and/or light work involving your knees (i assume from an injury) Situps are a great place to start. One slight misconception people think about Situps and can sometimes be concerned with is that they do not directly build your Ab muscles, they trim fat and by trimming fat around your Abs reveals the muscles behind. Any core workouts will also help you, Pushups is another easy one that will help if done properly and also has the added benefit of building strength.

Your not limited to just Gym exercises either. Raising your heart rate is key when trying to burn fat and any activity that makes you sweat will help, something as simple as raking leaves or digging up a garden bed can raise your heart rate and start you sweating.

Something to remember though and it is really important with any exercise. Your better off doing 10 perfect pushups than 100 lazy ones, so practicing technique and making the exercises you do the best you can is far more important than how many. Quality over Quantity.

Diet - Diet is one thing alot of people forget about and its probably the single most important thing you could change on your way to a healthier you. But if your thinking its all bad news then dont stress, if your after trimming fat it doesnt take much to see some results. Eating less sugar and more fruit/vegetables is the best step to take. Something as simple as eating an Apple everyday instead of piece of cake is all the change you will need if your exercising regularly. Anything with a high fibre content is good for you when you want to trim fat.

A word of warning though, do not stop eating. If you stop eating and try to starve yourself, it will have the opposite effect. When your body recognizes your starving yourself, it begins to store fat instead of releasing it and thats bad :)

Sleep - Do not underestimate the power of a good nights sleep. Sleep not only recharges you Mentally but it is integral for recharging you Physically. When doing any workout or exercise your burn fat and tear muscle, sleep is the time the body repairs itself and builds itself backup to prepare you for your next workout. Depriving yourself of sleep is a sure fire way to not only setting you in a bad mood but you wont be seeing peak results from your workouts either. 7 Hours of sleep a night is a fairly good amount, under-sleeping and also oversleeping is bad for your mental and physical health.

Stress - Although stress being unavoidable for some people, re-leaving stress is another excellent way to improve your overall mental and physical well being. If your stressed i find that exercising helps me to calm down and focus, plus i get a workout. If there are things in your life stressing you out constantly, maybe its time to take a look at how you can overcome that or not get yourself into those situations where your likely to feel stressed.

One final note as well, another key to losing weight is to keep at it. Getting into a good exercise rhythm is difficult i know, but once you have a good routine keeping at it will see more results for your effort than breaking your cycle and starting again.

Hope this information helps you in your quest.

Good luck :)

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

Ellendway

Ellendway
  • Early Adopter
  • 45 posts
  • Location - Paris
Friendly

Great answer! Thank you very much. 

I hope I will be able to post some results in few weeks or months. 

I already started with some exercise and I am trying slowly to make sure that everything will be done properly. I had no idea how hard it will be. I have to be really strong in my mind every morning to even wake up from my bed. 

The diet itself is a good idea and I am thinking about it for a long time. I found out that restaurants around the office are really bad (McDonalds, KFC, Pizza, Subway, Pasta and Chinese). I know that it's the worst food what I can get so I decided to cook at home. Sadly time to time it's just MUST be Kebab! But I am sure it will not kill me if it will be once every two weeks, right? I am actually surprised that I am eating fruit and vegetables a lot. I cannot image my day without some apples and oranges. This is what I really like about the company. They trying to care about us, so healthy food for free!   :smoke:

Sleep and stress will be a hard chapter of everything. As long as I am doing what I am doing I am in stress all the time, I don't sleep well and I know that it must be changed. I am currently looking for some ways how to get rid of stress in work, stupid and loud neighbours. I am sure this will be the worst thing and I hope it will be normal as soon as possible.

Thank you very much once again.

If someone will have some other tips, please feel free to share them. Me, my belly and my awesome and nice French and Polish  colleagues will love you all!  :fun:

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

The way I did it this summer, when I lost approximately 14 kilos in 3-4 months is through just 3 changes:

• no bread. It's a really obvious change if you think about it, as you don't really need bread when eating most types of foods. I was eating quite a bit of bread with my food and I was very surprised when I started reading about how much it affects calories intake.
  • As few sugar-based sweets as possible. I only ate fruits and dark-chocolate, and these with moderation as well.
  • Running for 30 minutes 3 times / week.

Of course junk-food intake is also important. If you can reduce it to just one Kebab / week it would help a lot.

As it's not really the best season for running, you can easily replace this activity with weight lifting. It's actually even more recommended for losing weight / gaining muscle. You can buy a pair of dumb-bells for example (even a single one will do) and find exercise programs on the net.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Ellendway

Ellendway
  • Early Adopter
  • 45 posts
  • Location - Paris
Friendly

It looks like you have been busy this summer and you got good results. Congratulations.

Did you completely stopped with bread or you changed bread for something else? I am currently eating just a black bread every morning for a breakfast.

Thanks God that I am not person who eating chips and other things all the time. When I see some people in work how they drinking coke... fruits are always great solution and I actually eating a lot fruits.

Running / jogging will be a small problem now. I forget my knee protectors in Czech Republic and I have to ask my ex to send them. Sadly I cannot run without them for a longer time. If I will run without them, it's more than possible that I will be not able to walk for several days.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

No bread at all and I think this made the biggest difference out of all the steps mentioned above. I can't prove it, however I had exercised / stopped eating sugar before with pretty weak results.

I didn't use anything to replace it as I didn't feel the need. I ate the same, just with no bread. I'm actually still avoiding bread big time, although I've reduced the exercise and increased the sugar intake in the last few months, since the cold weather hit.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum

No bread at all and I think this made the biggest difference out of all the steps mentioned above. I can't prove it, however I had exercised / stopped eating sugar before with pretty weak results.

I didn't use anything to replace it as I didn't feel the need. I ate the same, just with no bread. I'm actually still avoiding bread big time, although I've reduced the exercise and increased the sugar intake in the last few months, since the cold weather hit.

Does cutting out bread really help that much? I eat a lot of bread (toast, sandwiches, bread with soup etc).

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

Yes, you can cut bread out.
Or you could keep a very light intake of bread and limit it to only dark bread.
It's because of the carbohydrates.
Eating too much bread, any kind i think, or too much fruit will make you gain weight.

Just keep a healthy carb-cheap diet and you'll be fine.
If you gain weight it's because your body stores more calories than it uses.
You want protein and un-saturated fat and you want to exercise.
You don't need to be Olympic, but a walk outside is fine.
There's always fun stuff to do at home, as well.

Support Titan Focus