Change
Photo

Yay Or Nay To Addons

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Yay or Nay to Addons (75 member(s) have cast votes)

Yay or Nay to Addons ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
If its indeed a shooting third person mmo, I dont think addons will fit as good as in a classic mmorpg. But who knows ? :)

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Guest_Dexxter_*

Guest_Dexxter_*
  • Guests
I don't think Blizz will allow them. They'll want to control everything about the game, like they are doing with D3 now.

Treah

Treah
  • Early Adopter
  • 4 posts
Neutral
I played Tabula Rasa before Richard Garriott was played by NCsoft and closed the doors on the game. It was very original and felt nothing like classic mmorpg but I felt like player addons could have helped with things like tracking buffs and debuffs and ammo. Addons could have helped any one of the many mmo game styles I have played so far. Although I am a little concerned with the announcement of no mods in D3 I am hopeful that they won't ban player interface creativity in Titan.

tpower

tpower
  • I Named This!
  • 9 posts
Friendly
The developers can't really control wether or not the players are using addons, as they are only shown on your own screen and don't actually alter anything about the game. The only thing they can do is make it illegal, which would be a very stupid thing to do - besides why make a law if youre never going to catch anyone breaking it.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
For users to be able to make addons, Blizzard needs to provide an API for this. Something like a middleman between the game engine (that's restricted to anyone but Blizzard) and the addon developer. Without it, users have very limited options for making addons. So they do have the power to decide if they want addons or not.

Hopefully, like Treah said above, they will allow them. :)

tpower

tpower
  • I Named This!
  • 9 posts
Friendly

For users to be able to make addons, Blizzard needs to provide an API for this. Something like a middleman between the game engine (that's restricted to anyone but Blizzard) and the addon developer. Without it, users have very limited options for making addons. So they do have the power to decide if they want addons or not.

Hopefully, like Treah said above, they will allow them. :)

You can modify your client, making you able to use addons even if they don't want you to.

Sjoblom

Sjoblom
  • Early Adopter
  • 16 posts
Friendly
Addons serve a big purpose in MMOs that have several distinct classes in that it allows massivly different UIs for different roles and situations. By allowing the community to create what they want Blizzard doesn't have to anticipate every single need and want in that regard and can instead focus on creating outstanding content. In other MMOs I've played one of the major reasons I've quit has been small, but incredibly annoying, mistakes in the interface. If I'm going to spend hundreds of hours playing a game, the interface is vastly important.

I would lay good odds that Blizzard agrees with me and will make addons availible, but perhaps not as far-reaching as in WoW. I think they have learned what things are problematic and what things are almost exclusively good for a game though their experiences with WoW. I trust them to solve this.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

In other MMOs I've played one of the major reasons I've quit has been small, but incredibly annoying, mistakes in the interface.

I hear ya! Most recent example I can think of is RIFT, at its beginnings, when it didn't support addons. I've rolled a healer there, thinking I could be of use to some buddies of mine. After 20 horrible levels of struggling with the raid UI, I abandoned this role and swore I'd never touch a healing class ever again...

philly

philly
  • Early Adopter
  • 14 posts
Friendly
I voted 'yay'.

Seriously, add-ons in this age and day plays a huge role in modern mmos and I think it's imperative for blizzard to allow us the ability to create and run add-ons in Titan; it just makes the user experience oh-the-so-merrier.

Draykorinee

Draykorinee
  • Early Adopter
  • 60 posts
  • Location - Brighton, uk
Honored
Definite yes from me, I just like to be able to customise my own UI, as my skills grew during wow I found add ons to be a huge factor, I used to heal karazhan with no clique or raid UI just click casting heals I can just see how bad I was now :p

Manfred

Manfred
  • Early Adopter
  • 23 posts
Honored

I voted 'yay'.

Seriously, add-ons in this age and day plays a huge role in modern mmos and I think it's imperative for blizzard to allow us the ability to create and run add-ons in Titan; it just makes the user experience oh-the-so-merrier.

+1

MrGuy

MrGuy
  • Early Adopter
  • 8 posts
Friendly
Addons serve a important role of customization of information. But the built in UI should be configurable to your tastes as is. Then and only then should an addon be needed on top of that encase something was overlooked that you feel needs to be changed on your end. I feel WoWs UI is so restricted that you NEED addons to compete. For example questing in wow there should of already been such a feature built into the game to find quests and tell you where your objectives are located if you prefer. Then later when they finally added such a feature the addons were still better, but atleast there was a reasonable alternative to a quest addon. Addons should be perks to your preferences not needed, think healing roles and warlocks.

Falloubst

Falloubst
  • Early Adopter
  • 78 posts
  • Location - Germany
Exalted
Well... I am not sure. I like add-ons in general; the implimentation in WoW is just awesome. There're so many different ways to edit your interface. I've spent so many hours on editing my interface in WoW because I like trying out new things.

I've also played some RIFT when the game was launched. The standard interface offered some good customization options, not too many though. There were pretty standard features like resizing and moving certain frames around. I really enjoyed that way of customization, too. Sometimes I wished that there were some more features than just resizing and moving frames.

I think Titan should offer an a solid interface customization by default. There should be some options; but not too many - we should be spending our time playing the game and not preparing to play the game. ;D

The "problem" in WoW is that there're some must-have mandatory add-ons; e.g. DBM for raiding etc. BUT there're still a lot of people who don't know anything about add-ons... So, it's said that people without any add-ons in WoW - especially in the raiding scene - are typically worse than players with certain add-ons; because some add-ons ARE MANDATORY.

So, if Titan wouldn't allow any add-ons, everybody in the game would be "equal".

So, all in all I'd say - add-ons NAY; customization by default YAY!

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

There should be some options; but not too many - we should be spending our time playing the game and not preparing to play the game. ;D

When I come back to WoW after a break, my first day is always reserved for interface adjustments. :D Even if I saved my old interface, it's usually way too outdated and broken to use instantly. So yeah, good point. :D

Thing is, default customization, no matter how nicely done, will never be as complex and provide as many options as customization placed in the hands of the players. On the other hand, you're perfectly right about add-ons going too far, like DBM and many others in WoW.

I wonder if Blizzard, or any other developer, could find the right balance: include add-ons, but limit the API in such a way that add-ons can't be more than "skins". I think it would be the ideal solution.

Falloubst

Falloubst
  • Early Adopter
  • 78 posts
  • Location - Germany
Exalted

Thing is, default customization, no matter how nicely done, will never be as complex and provide as many options as customization placed in the hands of the players.

I agree. WoW developers also stated that as a game designer you should be careful about how many choices you give the players. Too many choices in terms of interface customization may confuse some players.

I totally agree to this statement. The simpler your game design is, the more people you'll probably attract. And I think as a developer you'd want the whole world to play your game.

Jeffrey Kaplan said during an interview (can't remember the source) that a good game has to appeal to the casual gamers and to the hardcore gamers aswell. Maybe Blizzard will find a good balance between simplicity and moddability (Is this even a word?!) within Titan.

Alcook

Alcook
  • Early Adopter
  • 9 posts
  • Location - France
Honored
Yay to addon

I agree with most of you:
  • Default UI must be simple, but higly customizable in advanced options for gamers who care.
  • Need to have a well-developped API to give a max of possibilities for addons.
---> Addons can be ideas for Blizzard to enhance their default UI. They did it for Wow.

Kryss

Kryss
  • Early Adopter
  • 16 posts
  • Location - France
Honored

I am for addons and highly customizable UI. But addons need to be kept in check: if Blizzard is providing the API and limiting what can be and not be done, I think you can have the best of both worlds.

Distributing add-ons through an in game store could be an idea : Blizzard can review the submitted addons, take some money and pay committed add-ons developpers and encourage them at keeping the good work.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Love the "app store" idea. It's actually quite plausible too, for Titan, because they are already planning a marketplace for SC2. It seems to have encountered some delays though, as it will not be launched with HotS, but once it's up and going, I think it would be easy to duplicate for other games too. I doubt Titan will have it at launch, but later down the road it's definitely a possibility.

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare
@Kryss
Brilliant!

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Sig

Sig
  • Early Adopter
  • 133 posts
Exalted.bronze

Voted yay, If you didn't have addons in wow for example alot of things you can now do as default you wouldn't be able to do. Threat meter's are the best example of an addon that was litreally required for anyone who wanted to raid, Theres alot of addons i can think of over the years that ive loved, and i really didn't use that many just the ones i considered core, or the ones that saved time.

I don't judge people on there age, gender, Weight, Height, looks, personality, religious or political views.

I judge people on there stupidity.