Titan rumours/speculation with a credible source

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

DiveDown

DiveDown
  • Early Adopter
  • 80 posts
Revered
He was making a joke about the new raid in WoW, just a follow up on his earlier tweet -

"Hah. People complaining about the new raid having a door. (srsly) We’re doing something right if that’s the best ya got. ;)"

There's nothing to it.

That's actually a good possibility, I didn't think about this being related to his patch 5.2 posting that I saw some moments before.

Thanks for pointing this out. Does anyone have some other thoughts on that?

Eremite

Eremite
  • Global Moderator
  • 430 posts
  • Location - Hawaii
Exalted.master
That's actually a good possibility

I love me a good conspiracy theory too, but c'mon man!  It is the truth, not just a good possibility.  Yesterday Blizzard revealed the new Thunder Isle raid along with a cool picture and everyone's buzzing about it now.

You're really reaching for things. It's great that you keep the discussions alive around here, and I'm all for tweets inspiring us to consider possibilities, but let's not get carried away. :crazy:

Ghost

Ghost
  • Early Adopter
  • 42 posts
  • Location - Japan
Honored

I'm sure this has been posted before, somewhere. I didn't feel like it justified it's own new topic in itself. Does this confirm Blizzard will be using product placement in Titan? I think so. Also, is this evidence that Blizzards new MMO will be atleast partly set in a modern-day Earth? Again, I think so, but I could be way, way off the mark.

http://us.blizzard.c...html?id=10000B3

Work with major consumer brands to facilitate product placement and licensing within the world of Blizzard Entertainment's next-gen MMO that enhances the gameplay experience.

Ghost

Ghost
  • Early Adopter
  • 42 posts
  • Location - Japan
Honored

I guess this is slightly interesting too: http://us.blizzard.c...html?id=100006L

Part of an epic gaming experience is epic UI. It is a UI that is beautiful without sacrificing function. Our UI contains a mixture of in world rendering effects along with traditional UI elements. UI is a highly important role for us and is an opportunity to work with many of our most senior designers.

Any speculation as to what that means?

I assume 'Our UI' refers to Titan's UI. What does 'in world rendering effects' allude to, do you think?

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum
I guess this is slightly interesting too: http://us.blizzard.c...html?id=100006L

Any speculation as to what that means?

I assume 'Our UI' refers to Titan's UI. What does 'in world rendering effects' allude to, do you think?

In world rendering effects is just exactly what it says on the tin. The world renders while you're in-world. For example, in WoW when there's the foggy end of your view-distance, that's the render distance, when you walk closer to it and see more, that's because it's rendering in-world. I suppose in the case of the UI it simply means these things will have to load up in-world or maybe it's alluding to them having a simulation of a world on the UI for whatever reason? It could be something as simple as a mini-game to something as crazy as another world just within a device on the game that you can quit out of. I think that's what all that means, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

What I think is really interesting is one of the points on the listing:

Help create a UI system that is much more than 2d rectangles.

Now, I've checked some of the other UI/interface related listings and none of them include this point. This lack of mention could be due to the fact that different people/managers write the listings for their own games so the wording varies according to them, however we're here to speculate so we must give the other side of the argument (the one that favours our imaginations)! Thinking about it now the UI in their current games are just 2d rectangles, so this point suggests something 'next-gen' (I know, unexpected, right?) about the whole thing a new way in which it loads up, works or otherwise functions.

:) 

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum

Just found this interesting interview with Frank Pearce in 2010 on Starcraft, WoW and Diablo. It reinforces a lot of what we've been speculating about, so hopefully it hasn't been posted before and I've just missed it! D: I also can't stress enough that this interview is all straight-forward stuff that we have reasoned at, this is just clarification if anything. Thanks to NealBloome for mentioning it:

As another quick foreword, I want to mention I don't treat these as solid rumours regarding Titan, but I do treat them as solid indicators of what Blizzard is really thinking about when developing their games. Yes, this is slightly outdated and their views will have changed as per the context but I still think this is relevant and of course, credible!

VG247: One interesting news announcement you made recently was about Facebook integration with Battle.net – what is the thinking behind that?

Frank Pearce: Well, it’s less of an integration and more of a convenience feature, wherein if you want to import your Facebook friends list to create your Battle.net friends list then you have that option. It’s really just a convenience feature.

Interesting that they've been thinking about this, with things like RealID this social element could be something that's even bigger in Titan (and I think the whole idea of broadening the audience figures supports this). I don't know about direct integration with social networks; as Mynsc mentioned below, their RealID fiasco didn't go down too well. Again as mentioned below, the anonymity of the Battletag thing is likely to be their revised incarnation of RealID in a sense and the B-tags will be the social interaction 'link'.

VG247: Are those types of features going to encourage more casual players into your games?

Frank Pearce: Hopefully.

VG247: I mean, Starcraft II is obviously going to appeal to the huge community of Starcraft and Blizzard fans that are already out there. But how do you start to appeal to those casual gamers that might have never even played a strategy game?

Frank Pearce: Yeah, and they are also potentially very intimidated by the concept of a real-time strategy game. Well, hopefully, the story that we are trying to tell in the campaign is something that will draw new players in to the experience. We’ve also got tutorials, missions, challenge-mode missions to teach people some of the basic concepts behind an RTS, AI skirmish maps in the missions… And basically, it is always a connected experience. The landing page almost looks like a browser and we point you to the different stages along the way before we throw you onto Battle.net for head-to-head play.

This tells us a bit about their thought process with regards to how they're going to approach a broader audience.  What is also tells us is how they've gone about it in Starcraft specifically, and this is likely a nudge to how they'll do it in Titan. Yes, Titan is going have huge changes in all areas of gameplay, but I think the strategies mentioned for broadening an audience will still be valid today. It's all straitforward stuff, more tutorial-like beginnings, less being thrown out into an open world (like DayZ, for example). It is a valid point that an RTS isn't completely comparable to what we think Titan will be, but I think this is still useful in furthering our understanding of how they're going to go about the things we've heard about the game.

VG247: Looking ahead over the next three, five, ten years or more, do you see Starcraft II moving across on to console and on to mobile devices? There was a story recently that Dave Perry had WoW running on an iPad, for example. Is console and mobile gaming part of the longer-term strategy at Blizzard?

Frank Pearce: It all depends on the device, it depends on the game, on the platform. Starcraft II has been designed with the PC and with PC peripherals in mind, from the very beginning. We don’t have any plans for console versions of Starcraft II right now.

And then as it relates to mobile devices and things like that, it just depends. We are looking for ways that we can use those devices and platforms to enhance the gaming experience we’re delivering to our customers. So, if you take WoW as a specific example, we are currently in beta for the Remote Auction House, offering players remote access to auctions in WoW via browsers and mobile phones. And, you know, we want to add more functionality to that as well. Where it makes sense.

VG247: Project Natal is also the big news in the console industry in 2010. Could you envision using that kind of technology in Starcraft?

Frank Pearce: Potentially. We can do anything we want. It’s just a factor of time and resources and whatnot – and making sure that the experience is going to meet everyone’s expectations.

Project Natal = Kinect btw. These two answers give us a really good idea of the open-mindedness Blizzard is using towards consoles and I think this is significant because it really is an admission that it's something they're discussing with their games at least (I hope I don't seem to be making biased presumptions here, if so smack me). A bit of speculation here, a place where I think consoles would be useful would be for things like vehicles or possible console stuff could be quite non-game effecting. An example being the update to Skyrim that let you say your commands and the game would do it. I know this is all a bit fairy-land, but I think it really is a strong bit of evidence to mount up with the console side, or at least it's something they've considered.

I hope my ideas were clearer now, and I hope you think some of it is credibly relevant to Titan. What I really want to say is that this information is to be tempered against context and of course how much is just about Starcraft. What I mean about that is, you have to dig about and put to the back of your mind specific Starcraft or contextual things like RealID and Facebook. Once you sort of 'remove' those there is information that can really help focus in on how Blizzard approaches its games and likely how it will approach some elements of Titan.

Please feel free to debunk away! :)

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
Project Natal = Kinect. Possibly of reinforcing the idea behind Titan on Xbox.

I had seen the interview but somehow didn't notice this last part. Starcraft on Kinect?!? What a BS answer. :D He was just trying to ride the Kinect hype train I'm sure.

About the Facebook thing, I don't think they'll go further than that with it. RealID didn't catch on as they hoped it would and we all can remember the huge sh*tstorm that occured when they tried to make it obligatory on the forums, so yeah, they probably won't push it too much again. I think them introducing Battle Tag is a sign they gave up on RealID / Facebook integration and went with the more anonymous approach.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Ghost

Ghost
  • Early Adopter
  • 42 posts
  • Location - Japan
Honored
I like to speculate about Titan as much as the next guy, but I fail to see any relevance there, Euph

Maybe someone can divulge how this relates to Titan?

Edit: formatting on an iPad is god-awful

rs10rs10

rs10rs10
  • Early Adopter
  • 315 posts
  • Location - Denmark
  • BT - Rs10#2467
Exalted.platinum
I had seen the interview but somehow didn't notice this last part. Starcraft on Kinect?!? What a BS answer. :D He was just trying to ride the Kinect hype train I'm sure.

About the Facebook thing, I don't think they'll go further than that with it. RealID didn't catch on as they hoped it would and we all can remember the huge sh*tstorm that occured when they tried to make it obligatory on the forums, so yeah, they probably won't push it too much again. I think them introducing Battle Tag is a sign they gave up on RealID / Facebook integration and went with the more anonymous approach.

Actually Mynsc, Starcraft II comming to Kinect is old news  :)

"Rogues guard the secrets to poison-making carefully, lest magi start incorporating poison into their spells. Poisonbolt? Rain of Poison? Poison Elemental? Nobody wants that."

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Hah, good one! You had me scared there for a moment. :D

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum
I like to speculate about Titan as much as the next guy, but I fail to see any relevance there, Euph

Maybe someone can divulge how this relates to Titan?

Edit: formatting on an iPad is god-awful

I've now added in my explanations, I hope they make sense. When I read it I just got a sense of how Blizzard will go about Titan and its other games, and I tried to articulate my reasoning behind it. When raw thoughts occur articulation is always left hanging behind. :p

Arcturus

Arcturus
  • Early Adopter
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Speculation at gamespy about FPS people are hired to the titan project. 

http://pc.gamespy.co.../1223423p1.html

Citing an anonymous "reliable source tied to the project," Blistered Thumbs reports that Blizzard has hired a "large portion of the development staff" from Splash Damage's class-based FPS Brink to work on Project Titan.

Given Splash Damage's track record (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, among other FPS shooters), it's safe to say Blizzard would hire devs from the studio specifically for their shooter expertise.

--

So have this been discussed?

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Yup: Brink developers brought in to work on Titan [rumor]

As you can see from the update, in the end I think it was more smoke than fire.

Arcturus

Arcturus
  • Early Adopter
  • 9 posts
Neutral

hehe yea i see

Valkata

Valkata
  • Early Adopter
  • 799 posts
  • Location - EU
  • BT - Jasius#1148
Exalted.master

46:55 of this video, I think some speculation-crafters might find it interesting :)

Edit: actually anyone enjoying Blizzard games should watch whole video, it's just amazing :) They are saying they felt like home, when they first came to work to Blizzard, I feel the same just by watching this video :D And regretting a little that I was studying totally wrong thing. 

Sarcryss

Sarcryss
  • Early Adopter
  • 56 posts
  • Location - Germany
Honored
Edit: actually anyone enjoying Blizzard games should watch whole video, it's just amazing :)

Did that when they released this treat. More than once. :geek:
Highly recommended to any Blizzard fan.

Slayer

Slayer
  • Global Moderator
  • 894 posts
  • Location - Auckland, NZ
Exalted.GM.normal

Well then was going through the list of devs working on Titan from wiki, came across this tweet.

https://twitter.com/...363935521210369

Crunchtime at Blizzard; after 14 yrs in this ever-changing industry, its comforting to know that some things always stays the same.

He works on Titan, I am getting hyped because why not.

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

Well then was going through the list of devs working on Titan from wiki, came across this tweet.

https://twitter.com/...363935521210369

He works on Titan, I am getting hyped because why not.

Not only that but he is a lighting artist. So if he is crunching time then things are really getting ready :)

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

Not only that but he is a lighting artist. So if he is crunching time then things are really getting ready :)

I wouldnt get to excited, Blizzard can Crunch for Years if you remember back to SC1 and Diablo 3 days :p

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Interesting tweet, but crunch time is usually a term used when a game is very close to launch. Going into crunch mode even before announcing it does not make much sense, unfortunately, so I'm thinking he's probably talking about the teams that are working at HotS, All-Stars or whatever the other project is.