Change
Photo

Will Crafting Be Included In The Game ?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Crafting Be Included In The Game ?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Will crafting be included in the game ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
As with all previous MMOs, I'm hoping we'll finally have a decent crafting system that actually counts for something after you're at max level for a week or two. And Blizzard can definitely do it, but something tells me crafting is not too high on their priority list. :D

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

grizzly69

grizzly69
  • Early Adopter
  • 1 posts
Neutral
have a feeling it will be about the same as WOW crafting

Sjoblom

Sjoblom
  • Early Adopter
  • 16 posts
Friendly
I have to say my best guess is the same as my furry friend above, that it will indeed be similar to what we see in WoW. My reasoning here is that Blizzard knows it is something that people take an interest in and thus want to include but at the same time they want to keep it down enough so that you don't have to invest all that much time in order to max out non-currency benefits from that aspect of the game.

That said, I wouldn't put it completely past Blizzard to do the seemingly impossible and actually solve this problem. I just don't think they will bother.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
I agree, but in the end, the type of game also defines the crafting system. In a theme-park, classic mmo, it usually doesn't make sense to build a different system than the established one. If by any chance they're building a sandbox-like game (a theory for which I'm gathering more and more clues), then the possibilities are endless. Crafting might actually get to be one of the centre pieces.

Ahh, will indeed have some fun 1,2 years from now when I'll revisit these posts and see the difference between reality and our present thoughts. :D

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Sjoblom

Sjoblom
  • Early Adopter
  • 16 posts
Friendly

Ahh, will indeed have some fun 1,2 years from now when I'll revisit these posts and see the difference between reality and our present thoughts. :D

Indeed. :yes

VanceLeath

VanceLeath
  • Early Adopter
  • 6 posts
  • Location - Norway
Neutral
They're probably not gonna innovate as much on crafting. And I don't think they need to either. They've allready established that pretty well in other MMO's, There's of course room for improvements, but like I said i don't think they're gonna bother with big changes.

Falloubst

Falloubst
  • Early Adopter
  • 78 posts
  • Location - Germany
Exalted

I love crafting in video games. IMHO the crafting system used in WoW is *ok*. They could use it as a base in Titan and simply improve it; assuming that crafting will be included in Titan.

What i like about crafting in WoW:
- many recipes to choose from,
- simplicity/ease of use.

What i dislike about crafting in WoW:
- only a few items are useful in the end-game (due to the leveling system in WoW),
- not being able to create "own items",
- kind of repetitive.

How Titan could improve from WoW:
- make crafting more meaningful (less useless crafted leveling items),
- let players create own items,
- crafted items should influence gameplay (e.g. nitro boosts in WoW ;D),
- make crafting itself more fun (maybe by adding mini games to it).

Well, that's my opinion. The Titan developers should really have a look at Minecraft. It's simple but can get really complex. It's really easy to get into that kind of game; and once you get hooked you'll notice its full complexity.

Revelasian

Revelasian
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
Friendly
i have an idea for crafting and to keep it engaging...

instead of having just a recipe to follow which has your char doing hte same animation over and over while the craft bar finishes... instead have the player do a set of skill based obstacles that involve timing, memory, quality of ingredients for recipe etc, which will determine the quality of the finished product...

example
3 sets of tasks
1 task done satisfactorily gets you a poor version of the item
2 tasks done gets you a average to slightly above average version of the item
3 tasks done gets you a high quality version

if all 3 tasks are done at a high level, then you have a perfect version of the item with a chance for a rare effect or ability.. etc...

Falloubst

Falloubst
  • Early Adopter
  • 78 posts
  • Location - Germany
Exalted

Sounds interesting! Sounds like a better version of the upgradable crafted weapons in Vanilla WoW. Really like that idea.

Another problem with crafted items in WoW is that their life span is usually very short (except for some special items). Your idea would make crafted items a way more useful; and that's exactly what I want to see!

Revelasian

Revelasian
  • Early Adopter
  • 27 posts
Friendly
yeah it makes crafting an actual skill, where one can be legendary, or just plain horrible at it and should just stick to harvesting herbs or something...

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum
I apologise for 'necroing' this thread but I'm sure it's a nice thing to revisit anyways.

I think just from pure speculation and no real evidence... that crafting in Titan will be completely different to what it is now. I think that because they are aiming for a bigger audience and also looking to rethink everything, that the crafting system will be much more pragmatic - much less about numbers. As it currently stands, crafting is almost the same in all MMO games and to level up you have to craft X amount of Y so you can get to level Z. This ends up creating loads of items you repeated for the sake of leveling up, they hold little to no value and you vendor them. In terms of recipes, many of the worth-while end-game ones are attained by being at the top of the raiding crop. I think this is unfair. It's effectively saying that if I want to be the best of the best crafters then I have to become a hardcore raider too (not cool). If I want to become a master craftsman, would I go and risk my life killing things? No, I would work hard at something, explore regions for materials, send people to fetch me things. It is for those reasons that I think crafting will be a complete redesign and focused much more on quest-type things/will have more worth.

I also think that there might be alternatives to crafting, if you will. So why should I have to be a producer when I could be a gatherer? Why can't I make a 'living' from being just a crafter or just a warrior? Or both? This is sort of emulated in WoW but not to a detailed extent, but I think it has potential to be great fun. Hope this post makes sense, I sorta let my brain drip the words onto the page (wow, strange metaphor).

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare

As it currently stands, crafting is almost the same in all MMO games and to level up you have to craft X amount of Y so you can get to level Z. This ends up creating loads of items you repeated for the sake of leveling up, they hold little to no value and you vendor them. In terms of recipes, many of the worth-while end-game ones are attained by being at the top of the raiding crop. I think this is unfair. It's effectively saying that if I want to be the best of the best crafters then I have to become a hardcore raider too (not cool)

I have felt the same way as you so many times! I think just about every crafting system I've tried is broken. I'm currently leveling my character in GW2 on weapon smithing and armor crafting. And from what I hear form my guild mates, you have to be SERIOUSLY involved in raiding if you want the components to craft even just ONE of the legendary items! I'm talking hours, upon hours just to make one item (from what I'm told). That's a broken system! Then you have games like skyrim which have the complete opposite effect, which is to say you can raise crafting up to max in the first town you come in and start crafting some of the best armor in the game! The only thing that worries me (just a smidgin) is what happened in Diablo 3. I think everyone was taken by suprise (Including Blizzard) when the auction house literally put Haedrik out of business. Let's hope they are more careful with Titan.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Lirvan

Lirvan
  • Early Adopter
  • 13 posts
  • Location - Michigan
Friendly
It would be cool for blizzard to include a system where players could construct their own unique items, with unique stats, varying on material. In addition, a unique appearance, built from an in-game shaping tool.

However, this would obviously lead to thousands of teenagers waving around phalluses with expletives for names. So there would need to be a lengthy construction process and perhaps a semi-automated screening system or something. Such as a high level blacksmith submitting a weapon design to blizzard, that only he could produce. That way, you could have players be famous weapon designers within games, with their own signature look and stat build. It would also alleviate some of the effort that blizzard would otherwise need to do in graphic design. Crowdsource based weapon design, if you would.

DiveDown

DiveDown
  • Early Adopter
  • 80 posts
Revered

I think just from pure speculation and no real evidence... that crafting in Titan will be completely different to what it is now.

Who says that there are any professions in titan? We don't know anything about the project, you guys are just throwing this topic in here because of what you're used to in common MMOs like WoW. Who says titan will contain some of the same features as WoW, GW or Star Wars? It could also be a MMO that's more looking like Mafia (from illusion softworks), and has totally other goals in general.

I think it was Captain_Blaq (Blizzard employee) who stated that there are guns in titan. But maybe these guns are fixed like in Call of Duty - so that the player can choose/buy some from an in-game gun shop for "Dollars", like in GTA Vice City. Maybe there's an option to attach scopes or other skins to your weapon, but I won't count on crafting professions for now. We don't know anything about this huge project, so try to keep your mind away from such common features (like crafting, cooking, looting recipes from monsters, even questing) what we've seen from games like World of Warcraft. Who says we have to level up in titan with questing or killing mobs or crafting up to max skill?

I would be happy if some of you can suggest more unusual and eccentric ideas of what we may see in titan. Just get away from things like we already know about (in this case, crafting professions).

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum

Who says that there are any professions in titan? We don't know anything about the project, you guys are just throwing this topic in here because of what you're used to in common MMOs like WoW.

I think it's perhaps a dangerous line to make assumptions of why we create/respond certain topics. I can't speak for every other poster on the forum, but personally, I responded to this topic because I think crafting is a mechanic I would like to see in the game and there's a general way I would like it to go. Also, I think the whole idea of the topic - 'Will it be included' - echoes your argument of "Who says that there are any professions in titan?". So perhaps this thread is actually more on your own wavelength than you think, I don't really know what you think so :stuart: .

We don't know anything about this huge project, so try to keep your mind away from such common features (like crafting, cooking, looting recipes from monsters, even questing) what we've seen from games like World of Warcraft. Who says we have to level up in titan with questing or killing mobs or crafting up to max skill?

I would be happy if some of you can suggest more unusual and eccentric ideas of what we may see in titan. Just get away from things like we already know about (in this case, crafting professions).

I don't know if the tone of the above affected the meaning or if I am just mis-understanding it, but I felt this sounded quite frustrated and slightly irate. You're absolutely right, though. We don't know anything about this huge project. However, I think that's where the correct statements falter, in my eyes at least. I want to make clear I understand your thinking in that you think we should begin to brainstorm outside of the box (am I right?) and I also think that's a wonderful way for people to throw out their craziest hopes/inclings and dreams for the game. However, I do not agree with that statement that we shouldn't think about 'common' features from MMOs such as the ones you stated. I think it's really important at this stage to talk about anything and everything, both common and crazy, simply because we have such little information. All discussions are fruitful, I find... and if that's the case, there is no harm in thinking about them or discussing them. :)

Now, onto your point about possible other areas of 'crafting' or, rather, in place of it:

But maybe these guns are fixed like in Call of Duty - so that the player can choose/buy some from an in-game gun shop for "Dollars", like in GTA Vice City. Maybe there's an option to attach scopes or other skins to your weapon[...]

I think this idea of 'buying' different modifications, perhaps even with real money for just aesthetic ones is something I expect to see in the game. I think this because firstly, being able to modify your weapon/anything is something we can do now in numerous games (and it is in fact a 'common' game component). It's something that provides more options for customisation, individuality and of course a time/money sink. If we're looking at the Sims rumour, this idea of even more customisation than we've had in the past is something that is really quite a strong probability in my eyes. Secondly, I think Blizzard has been looking for a way to bring real money into the actual games as demonstrated by the Blizz store for e-rewards (Pandaren pet etc.) and the RMAH in Diablo 3. So, yup. I think that the concept of having multiple options for customisation of weapons is something that is likely. Perhaps it'll be done through crafting? Perhaps through an in-game store, perhaps even through some other method we've not mentioned yet.

P.S.
Dear reader, if you are to take one thing from this post just remember that the forum is for all and any views and opinions on Titan and some other Misc. stuff, we shouldn't limit our thinking to just out of the box stuff, or just in the box stuff. You can think as big as the universe in which you live. Peace and love. :heart:

EDIT: Reply to Lirvan - didn't see his post!

It would be cool for blizzard to include a system where players could construct their own unique items, with unique stats, varying on material. In addition, a unique appearance, built from an in-game shaping tool.

However, this would obviously lead to thousands of teenagers waving around phalluses with expletives for names. So there would need to be a lengthy construction process and perhaps a semi-automated screening system or something. Such as a high level blacksmith submitting a weapon design to blizzard, that only he could produce. That way, you could have players be famous weapon designers within games, with their own signature look and stat build. It would also alleviate some of the effort that blizzard would otherwise need to do in graphic design. Crowdsource based weapon design, if you would.

In an ideal world, I really love this idea. Yet, you also state the problem that may occur with the y'know... phalluses and expletives. But don't fret! I think this idea may be salvaged yet. I'm not a user, but as far as I am aware 'Steam' the game thingy has a thing called the 'Nexus' in which users can submit item designs to be downloaded by users. (Someone more experienced with this, reply and explain it! :D ) This could also contribute to the longevity of the game - games in which players can create their own stuff generally seem to be huge successes and last a long time (Minecraft, Second Life etc.). Also, I think this could be a really major anchor for the community to circulate around. I can just imagine guilds having their master craftsmen building custom items for guild members only... it'd be truly next-gen! Really nice idea and I hope it is something that is realised.

Edited by Euph, 27 November 2012 - 08:40 PM.

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

DiveDown

DiveDown
  • Early Adopter
  • 80 posts
Revered

P.S.
Dear reader, if you are to take one thing from this post just remember that the forum is for all and any views and opinions on Titan and some other Misc. stuff, we shouldn't limit our thinking to just out of the box stuff, or just in the box stuff. You can think as big as the universe in which you live. Peace and love. :heart:

I agree. I just suggested to bring more eccentric ideas into this forum here. Peace and love too :heart:

This aint n order man ;)

DiveDown

DiveDown
  • Early Adopter
  • 80 posts
Revered

I'm not a user, but as far as I am aware 'Steam' the game thingy has a thing called the 'Nexus' in which users can submit item designs to be downloaded by users. This could also contribute to the longevity of the game - games in which players can create their own stuff generally seem to be huge successes and last a long time (Minecraft, Second Life etc.). Also, I think this could be a really major anchor for the community to circulate around. I can just imagine guilds having their master craftsmen building custom items for guild members only... it'd be truly next-gen! Really nice idea and I hope it is something that is realised.

Absolutely great. And yes, Blizzard HAS to implement some sort of creative gameplay for players, otherwise I would be confused by what Blizzard COO Sam said ("over 10yrs lifespan for titan").

Without such great tools for players, it wouldn't give titan more lifetime than 3 or 4 years. I don't say it has to be minecraft-stylish or exactly like Second Life, but sort of, yknow.

Jhanz

Jhanz
  • Early Adopter
  • 7 posts
Friendly

I like GW2's crafting system. It's pretty nice. Wouldn't it be cool if they had you create your own Forge and later Blacksmith in order to smith inside it? I would make it more fun by creating graphics of you crafting, for example, possibly make it its own mini-game. You set the materials aside on a table with your character in "cinematic view" sort of thing, go to where you need to go, control your character so he can smelt the ore, etc. etc.

Eremite

Eremite
  • Global Moderator
  • 430 posts
  • Location - Hawaii
Exalted.master
I like GW2's crafting system. It's pretty nice. Wouldn't it be cool if they had you create your own Forge and later Blacksmith in order to smith inside it? I would make it more fun by creating graphics of you crafting, for example, possibly make it its own mini-game. You set the materials aside on a table with your character in "cinematic view" sort of thing, go to where you need to go, control your character so he can smelt the ore, etc. etc.

Interesting take on this Jhanz.  I liked GW2 crafting system better than WoWs, but it's still not up to par imho, and something like you said adds depth to it.

The reason why I like your idea of creating your own forge etc. is because I like the idea of crafting in a game being completely player driven.  By that I mean everything is player created, all the way from the basest of materials to legendary items, and even the tools to create our items like you mentioned.

Even if Titan is very theme-park I would still love to see the crafting be as sandboxy as possible.

Vestige

Vestige
  • Early Adopter
  • 17 posts
Friendly

What if crafting became mini-games that you could then play on your phone. Maybe your girlfriend is really good at the crafting and so you spend all night raiding collecting materials and then she mini-games it up during the day building you equipment that you can use later that night. I think fewer, more developed craft skills is better then a lot of under developed craft skills. With each expansion make the craft skills you got better rather than adding different craft skills.

One model you can use is that each craft can branch out into further specializations. When an expansion comes out the current specializations get zipped up and everyone gets them but then there are newer additional specializations.

I think something that really ties in casual gaming to hard core gaming could be awesome with different payment models. Maybe you are part of a guild and all you do is play mini-games that helps everyone else out. These mini-games might be free to play on social media but could also be used as a gateway to get people to pay for a full subscription where they could get the full blown game client.

"Hey Mom, the guild is raiding tonight, I need you to get on Facebook and make us some more potions!"