Change
Photo

Rob Pardo on development progress and announcement date.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Thanks papaz for letting me know in the forums about this! To my shame, I was too busy playing MoP to check the news very often, so I hadn't noticed this extremely interesting interview yet.

Questions related to Titan [starts at 3:22]

Q: People are still wondering what the Titan project could be. Do you know when we’ll get more information on the subject? How many people are working on the project at this point?

Rob Pardo

Titan? What's that? (laughs) It's still moving along. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up that it is around the corner or anything, it is a very big project, it has a long way to go. I don't really know when we are going to start releasing more information. We are definitely in the middle of development at this point. The team is over 100 people now.

Q: I heard a rumor that you have been developing it for six years now, is that correct?

Rob Pardo

I'd have to think about that one. I guess it depends on how you look at such things, because when we first started the team, we started really small. We start with a couple of people and talk about the concept and draw some concept art. It definitely has not been in core development for that long. I'd say core development was closer to four years, but even that was with a smaller team.

Comments

A bit of a bummer really. The general form of his two answers suggests that a 2012 or early 2013 announcement is pretty much off the table. It has even made me have some doubts about a Blizzcon 2013 reveal, although I am still hopeful and somewhat confident that we'll get something juicy then.

On the bright side, it's good to hear that the team working on it has grown (although not by much) and that they have indeed entered full blown development, as predicted at last year's Blizzcon.

In four years of actual development other companies would not only launch the game but would already have a sequel close to being done. Blizzard is not such company and even if it can sometimes be a bit frustrating (the Diablo 3 wait, now this one, for Titan), I'm sure we can all agree that this is how great games are made and Blizzard has a history to prove it. So I guess we just have to hang tight and hope it won't be too much longer. :)

It's becoming quite clear that Titan is a huge project, even for a company with tremendous resources and experience, so in the end the wait will probably be completely worth it.

P.S. Can't help but think again of the speculation I made a couple of months ago, about the relation between WoW's subscriber state and Titan's announcement date. If it holds any water, then it's clear that Blizzard is happy with how WoW is holding up and they have no pressure to hurry the production / announcement of Titan, for now.

Click here to view the record

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal
I wasn't too thrilled either with his answers to be honest.

It didn't give much hope for a 2013 reveal and that is a huge bummer.

So a 2014 reveal followed by waiting another couple of years?! :(

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold
Im still going to be optimistic about a 2013 Blizzcon Announcement, remember they do like to have it late in the Year so that still gives them the rest of 2012 and the majority of 2013. Im sure they will bring something together, at the least we will have some exciting details about its development from one of the Devs.

I dont think his answers were disappointing, i didnt expect to hear anything more, they are still trying to keep it as much under wraps as possible and they wouldnt break anything to crazy at a major release for a completely unrelated game.

This has been the first talk about Titan for a very long time so im expecting another long dry spell for info at least until HoTS release.

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare
"To my shame, I was too busy playing MoP to check the news very often, so I hadn't noticed this extremely interesting interview yet."

For shame!! Lol J/K. The first thing I thought when I seen this video is, "Holy ****! This has been out for over 24 hours and no one (not even other fansites) has found this til now! :)" Guess that's a testament to MoP. Good work to you Papaz for finding this btw! You haven't picked up MoP yet right? hmmm...

Now I think its a bit much for us to start rearranging out opinions on announcement dates just yet. True, the news doesn't sit to well, I think a summer or Blizzcon announcement is still very much on the table. All he said is that the don't know when they are going to start releasing info. And in fact, that may not be entirely true as he has PR people that tell he what he can say and cannot say about the project. So rather than looking at this info as "bad" news, we should be happy that we got a bit of insight into the project and finally have the answer to the question we keep debating, "how long has Titan REALLY been in development?" I'm totally stoked with this find! XD

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal

You haven't picked up MoP yet right? hmmm...

Hehe, nope I haven't picked up MoP yet. Too busy with GW2 still :)

Although I haven't played WoW for a while (since release of Cata) I follow WoW news so when I saw this video I was like "holy..." and no one even made a comment on it yet over at WoW forums.

So I brought the news here where people at least care about him mentioning Titan :)

BanzaiJoe

BanzaiJoe
  • Early Adopter
  • 22 posts
  • Location - California
Friendly
While MMOs and RTS are fundamentally different, I'm going to put this out there anyways. At the D3 launch, the vast majority of the core team was there and that was 140 people. Mind you, part of that 140 were people whose entire job was creating promo videos and there was a woman whose entire job was Diablo lore librarian/historian/continuity expert. I doubt the titan team has sub-teams who are cranking out sound effects. In other words, I'm thinking this team is pretty big at this point.

Btw, launch parties at Irvine Spectrum are fun, but don't pre-order there unless you are a masochistic lover of Blizzard.

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare

there was a woman whose entire job was Diablo lore librarian/historian/continuity expert.

OMG best.. Job.. EVER!!! I do this as a hobby! She makes a full time salary to do what I do for fun!? Just told the wife I quit my job and were moving out to Irvine ;)

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

OMG best.. Job.. EVER!!! I do this as a hobby! She makes a full time salary to do what I do for fun!? Just told the wife I quit my job and were moving out to Irvine ;)

Lol if only it was that easy.

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

papaz

papaz
  • Early Adopter
  • 676 posts
  • Location - Sweden
Exalted.GM.normal
@mynsc

I just read some information regarding WoW sales and thought of:

P.S. Can't help but think again of the speculation I made a couple of months ago, about the relation between WoW's subscriber state and Titan's announcement date. If it holds any water, then it's clear that Blizzard is happy with how WoW is holding up and they have no pressure to hurry the production / announcement of Titan, for now.

Not that I think Blizzard is in hurry with Titan but first sales report for WoW MoP:

The xpack has so far sold between 600 000 - 700 000 copies (digital sales not included which should be a lot more than the physical copies).

All previous xpacks has sold more than it's successor. Cataclysm sold in total 3.3 million copies first day of sales and 4.7 million copies within a month.

About 25 percent of Activison Blizzard's revenue comes from WoW along with 50 percent of its operating income.

Source 1: http://venturebeat.c...-disappointing/

Source 2: http://www.blistered...sm-month-sales/

rs10rs10

rs10rs10
  • Early Adopter
  • 315 posts
  • Location - Denmark
  • BT - Rs10#2467
Exalted.platinum
Concerning sales, wait for an official statement I say :)

"Rogues guard the secrets to poison-making carefully, lest magi start incorporating poison into their spells. Poisonbolt? Rain of Poison? Poison Elemental? Nobody wants that."

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
Not sure what to make of the sale rumor.

WoW really is an old game, fighting to stay on top of a very harsh and competitive world, the one of MMOs. I really don't think that even Blizzard is truly expecting to rise above other expansions when it comes to sales. It's almost unrealistic to expect to still be rising after 8 years. I know that they said they don't think they reached the peak a year ago, but I'm placing those statements in the PR corner. What I think they are actually expecting is for MoP to have a better resilience than Cataclysm meaning to have better retention 6 - 12 months after the launch.

This being said, digital sales are incredibly predominant these days, especially when it comes to Blizzard, so we're actually not sure yet how close to Cataclysm is MoP.

We'll have a clearer picture when we get some official numbers (probably at the upcoming Q3 2012 results Conference Call), but judging from the reception of the expansion and the 3000 long queue on my server during rush hour, I don't think Blizzard has much to worry for now.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold
If MoP does present a significant drop in sales numbers it might put some pressure on the Team to get some actual presentation material together on Titan to present to at least the Investors to calm their nerves on the decline of WoW.

That means we will most likely hear of something if there is enough pressure to get the right people talking about it.

The decline in WoW and the 'disappointing' MoP sales will start to make someone shake in their boots in can only mean good things for us in a sense. Just makes me feel stronger about a 2013 Blizzcon Announcement at the least. They wouldnt even need to show us much, just that they have it in the works would be enough to hold ActivisionBlizzards Stock Price above water.

Support Titan Focus

Silverthorn

Silverthorn
  • Early Adopter
  • 52 posts
  • Location - Trondheim
Honored

If MoP does present a significant drop in sales numbers it might put some pressure on the Team to get some actual presentation material together on Titan to present to at least the Investors to calm their nerves on the decline of WoW.

That means we will most likely hear of something if there is enough pressure to get the right people talking about it.

The decline in WoW and the 'disappointing' MoP sales will start to make someone shake in their boots in can only mean good things for us in a sense. Just makes me feel stronger about a 2013 Blizzcon Announcement at the least. They wouldnt even need to show us much, just that they have it in the works would be enough to hold ActivisionBlizzards Stock Price above water.

Allthough I want Titan to be released as soon as possible, rushing of any reason is never good in my opinion. I want Blizzard to use as much time as they want, even when it comes to announcing. Diablo 3 for example, was in my opinion (and probably most others) announced way too early, and it wasn't good for the game itself in any way.