Horizontal progression

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Reo

Reo
  • Early Adopter
  • 6 posts
Friendly
I sincerely hope that project Titan will feature a character progression that is horizontal, meaning that you evolve your character in a manner that does not exclude you to participate in the same content as new players. The main reason for this wish is that vertical progression is a curse of PvP. PvP should be about who are most skilled, not who has the best gear or is the highest level. If the progression comes in the form of new abilities that does not provide more power but added utility, then PvP all of a sudden becomes much more interesting...

What do you guys think?

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
Definitely agree. It's a problem that many MMOs have, including especially WoW.

From what I've read, GW2 will be quite horizontal when it comes to character progression. In organized PvP all the characters will have access to the same gear and even more, once you reach lvl 80, you still earn skill points which I'm guessing will bring you that added utility (or maybe just visual advantages). In WvW, all characters will get boosted to max level, so the main difference will probably be the array of skills that higher level characters will have at their disposal.

Speaking in more general terms, I think the gear ladder is almost impossible to completely eliminate from RPGs and I'm not sure it would be a good thing to do anyway. There needs to be some progress on this front too, but I think the influence of gear should be limited only to PvE. And it shouldn't open up huge gaps between players, just because they're not on the same tier of gear.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Reo

Reo
  • Early Adopter
  • 6 posts
Friendly
Does the gear ladder really need to be there? What if the rewards were purely cosmetic? And what about ladder systems? They might give a sentiment to do content more than once ... The WoW challenge modes could be a test of such a feature ...

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
I think gear progression is a needed dimension of character development. The more dimensions an RPG has, the better in my opinion. And making gear have only cosmetic rewards makes it pointless for many players, that don't place much importance on the looks. The best way to go about things is to limit gear importance only to certain areas of the game and also not make it count too much.

And about ladder systems, I love them! But they're not exactly character progression. They're more like the carrot that motivates you to improve your character.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

BanzaiJoe

BanzaiJoe
  • Early Adopter
  • 22 posts
  • Location - California
Friendly
Yes, the gear ladder has to be there. It's the payoff, the coin of the realm, it's the prize. It doesn't matter what kind of ladder you are referring to.

I enjoy dynamics where the top-level actually wants/needs the low level with them. For example, lvl 1 bees sting lvl 5 orcs making them chant louder which makes lvl 40 healers heal better making the top lvl monster stronger. A raid of a massive number of people would be needed to whack the bees, the orcs, the healers, and top lvl. Nope, we have endgame this and endgame that and Pandas and "selling SoW for 1g" etc.

Silverthorn

Silverthorn
  • Early Adopter
  • 52 posts
  • Location - Trondheim
Honored
Yes, it definitely needs to be there. It's the coolest way to see your character progressing besides new skill levels. About cosmetic effects I think it would be cool if you could change your appearance as you level up, and of course with choices not available at lower levels/character creation. I.e. Scars, hair color, muscle mass etc.