mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

POPULAR

I think it would be interesting to start and maintain a Titan timeline, for posterity's sake. I'm going to try and populate it as best as I can, even if there aren't many important events to mark right now. If you guys have any other additions / corrections, let me know.

I'm trying to focus mostly on actual progress reports of the project and on important reveals for us and not that much on rumors, speculation on features etc.

Pre-announcement

• end of 2005 - start of 2007: Project Titan begins. (speculation)
  • August 24, 2006: Possible hint from Paul Sams about a new MMO already being in the works. (source)
    Spoiler
  • April 2007: First sighting of the project, as a job opening on Blizzard's Job Directory, in a new section called "Next-gen MMO". (source)
    Spoiler

• August 28, 2007: Jeff Kaplan hints at a new MMO in the works at Blizzard. (source)
    Spoiler
  • End of 2007: Bashiok is the first Blizzard figure to give any details about the the game, saying "it is an unannounced Next-Gen MMO. And that doesn't mean an expansion for World of Warcraft either." (original source gone due to Blizzard forum revamp)
  • Blizzcon 2008: Jeff Kaplan confirms that he is involved with the project. (source)
  • Blizzcon 2008: Mike Morhaime first talks about the new MMO they have in production. (source)
    Spoiler
  • November 12, 2008: Paul Sams talks in length with VG247 about Blizzard's new MMO and gives some details on the development process. (source)
  • February 12th, 2009: Jeffrey Kaplan, lead designer for WoW, officially moves to the next-gen MMO. Guess he was just assisting until now. (source)
  • May 12th, 2009: Blizzard Community Manager Zarhym confirms it will be a brand new-franchise, with "the lore, art, and game play are being developed entirely from scratch". (source)
  • September 14, 2009:  In an interview with GameSpot, Bobby Kotick mentions the game, citing that it "has a little more broad appeal." (source)
  • Blizzcon 2010: the game is between prototyping and pre-production, with 50 developers working on it and with a playable internal build. (indirect source)
  • November 30th, 2010: According to a supposedly leaked Blizzard product slate, the internal name of the game is Titan and it's scheduled for release in the 4th quarter of 2013. (source) || (leaked photo) || (not confirmed)
  • March 8th, 2011: Titan is already playable inside the company. (source)
  • Blizzcon 2011: Titan is close to entering full production, with 90 developers working on it. (source) || (direct video)
  • May 9th, 2012: During the Q1 2012 Results Conference Call, Titan is presented as a "new MMORPG", the first official mention of its genre. (source) || (pictures: one, two)
  • September 25th, 2012: Titan is in the middle of development, over 100 people working on it, long way to go, has around 4 years of core development. (source)
  • April 2nd, 2013: Titan Focus (that's us!) posts some info received from an undisclosed source. According to it, there are now more than 150 developers working on the game which is planned for reveal at Blizzcon 2013. It's an MMORPG with tab targeting combat and based on Earth's history. Many other details were included. (source)
  • May 28th, 2013: After a few delay rumors emerged, Blizzard announces that they need to make large changes to the technology and design of Titan, and as such the project has been delayed and some of the non-core team members will be reassigned to other projects while the core team works on refitting the tools and tech.

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare
Good idea. This thing is gonna get quite lengthy I bet

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Billg221

Billg221
  • Early Adopter
  • 4 posts
  • Location - Nebraska USA
Neutral
Looks good so far, hopefully there will be more to add soon.

rs10rs10

rs10rs10
  • Early Adopter
  • 315 posts
  • Location - Denmark
  • BT - Rs10#2467
Exalted.platinum
Welcome to the site Billg221

"Rogues guard the secrets to poison-making carefully, lest magi start incorporating poison into their spells. Poisonbolt? Rain of Poison? Poison Elemental? Nobody wants that."

Dendarang

Dendarang
  • Early Adopter
  • 44 posts
  • Location - Europe
Exalted
At this point I really have nothing to add to the post. The only thing would be is speculation about Titan being a MMO from some other company that is being developed by Blizzard, because there was some game names Titan that was being developed by some other company, I don't really remember that article particulary well. Or bunch of other speculation that I won't bother mentioning. The only thing would be, you should split the timeline pre-release and post-release simply for readibility sake. And another thing would be that once the game is properly released, timeline will most likely get really complicated (like in any good RPG, I am looking at you LoZ), features will be added, others will be removed and we know, because this is Blizzard we are talking about, the whole thing will be reiterated multiple times during the development. Maybe add a collapsable drop list that would divided into sections like "removed content", "first versions". Due to the development process this would obviosuly be changed a lot, but once the game is actually released, you can lock up that section and open a new one. Something like this:

-Pre-announcement (show)
-Pre-release (show)
-Post-release (show)

And then they would each open up to reveal sub-groups, and then those would be populated with items. Or don't, this is just a suggestion, my 2 cents.

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

The only thing would be, you should split the timeline pre-release and post-release simply for readibility sake. And another thing would be that once the game is properly released, timeline will most likely get really complicated (like in any good RPG, I am looking at you LoZ), features will be added, others will be removed and we know, because this is Blizzard we are talking about, the whole thing will be reiterated multiple times during the development. Maybe add a collapsable drop list that would divided into sections like "removed content", "first versions". Due to the development process this would obviosuly be changed a lot, but once the game is actually released, you can lock up that section and open a new one. Something like this:

-Pre-announcement (show)
-Pre-release (show)
-Post-release (show)

And then they would each open up to reveal sub-groups, and then those would be populated with items. Or don't, this is just a suggestion, my 2 cents.

Very good ideas. I'll definitely act on them. Thanks :)

For example, gonna place the content I have added until now under a section titled "Pre-announcement". It should make things a bit more clear once we go into the next stages.

Alcook

Alcook
  • Early Adopter
  • 9 posts
  • Location - France
Honored
Sometime after the release:

..Just imagine the day when we will look back to this post, we will remember how much we were impatient and how we were crazy to speculate on the game.

We definitly are crazy fans, May Blizzard will give us Beta Keys (or better) =p !

Rayne

Rayne
  • Early Adopter
  • 1 posts
  • Location - Joplin Missouri
Neutral
Well, atleast that first picture from the May 9th post on the timeline sort've suggests that "Titan" won't be FTP. I was a player of WoW since the vanilla days, and it has dissapointed me with it's developments. Many were good, of course, but even more were dissapointing imo. I am hoping that this game will be a great new mmorpg, and making it FTP would be very sad, cause I think we'd all agree that PTP games are better from a PC viewpoint.
Not saying that it necessarily /says/ that it will be FTP, but by saying it in two different parts, ("a FTP game and a new mmorpg game") Sure makes it sound like it.

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare
Hello Rayne, welcome to the site :D and welcome to the (seemingly) endless debates on what Titan will be!

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
Updates! Must admit, got quite a bit of help from Kotaku's timeline.

PinkPony

PinkPony
  • Early Adopter
  • 233 posts
Exalted

We are really close to a Titan reveal. If we look at it's timeline the project started somewhere around ~2006. Now, we're racing towards Blizzcon 2013. So that means it's about 7 years in development and has only 2 years to go until release (if you take the average of this launch predictions http://ow.ly/ixvNT). That also means a total dev time of approx. 9 years for Titan. So we have only 20% of it's whole dev-time (from beginning to release) to go!

Only a fifth - and perhaps even less! If it was a long download, we would be at about 80% right now. Isn't that good news? 

Anvorach

Anvorach
  • Early Adopter
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Very nice timeline.

The "leaked photo" from the 30th of November in 2010. It shows something with titan at end 2013. And from what I've heard, some blizzard person said something about titan and end 2013. And wasn't there something about a new MMO in that blizzard financial thingy, which also said something about 2013.

I think you might get something to add this year. :laughing: