14 replies to this topic

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Backstage is a limited-access forum section that is intended as a reward for people that contribute in special ways to the TF community.

What does it contain?

• bonus stuff about TF, like:
    • News Preview: I'll write about what articles I'm working on / getting ready to publish and show teaser pics, clues etc
    • Stats: Interesting stats about the website: traffic, forum activity etc, updated weekly / monthly.
    • TF Daily / Trivia: funny / weird / scary things I notice on the site etc. Also funny / weird / hateful Emails / PMs I get, requests, offers etc. All are anonymous of course.
    • Your take on this: I'll ask feedback on changes or new features I want to add to the site.
    • AMA: got a question related to the site, me or anything in between? Guaranteed response.
    • Tools: software, services or websites I use in building the site or writing the articles.
  • a section where members are free to discuss whatever they want, with very little moderating.
  • guides / tips for following news, writing, Blizzard, certain software etc.
  • More will be added in time. Suggestions are encouraged.

Who has access to it?

• Moderators plus any other Staff members.
  • Members that have earned at least two Forum Awards (subject to change as the feature evolves, changes will not have a retroactive effect though).

Feedback please. :)

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

rs10rs10

rs10rs10
  • Early Adopter
  • 315 posts
  • Location - Denmark
  • BT - Rs10#2467
Exalted.platinum
Great idea!

Btw, I was wondering, where do most of the visitors of this site come from? Are they just searching on google, or how do they "find" this website?

"Rogues guard the secrets to poison-making carefully, lest magi start incorporating poison into their spells. Poisonbolt? Rain of Poison? Poison Elemental? Nobody wants that."

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
Google is the main traffic source, by far. On second place is mmo-champ.

WickedWitchy

WickedWitchy
  • Early Adopter
  • 312 posts
  • Location - Netherlands
  • BT - WickedMir#1287
Exalted.platinum

I don't think I have access to this :(

It makes me sad 

~* Supporter of the Predictable Chaos Patch 1.0 *~

"Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Posted Image

DevilsD

DevilsD
  • Early Adopter
  • 326 posts
  • Location - Australia
Exalted.gold

Yeh i dont think any of us do except for Mynsc.

Useful Links: Rules ----- Forums ----- Special Forum Titles ----- FAQ ----- Support Titan Focus ----- Titan Wiki

Check out our Titan Wikipedia its got an impressive collection of material just waiting for you!

The Beast contained herein shall not be set free, not even by you!

Looking for a Specific Game to talk about? Maybe you can find it in the Main Threads List!

Remember to help support Titan Focus so we can continue to bring you the latest in everything Project Titan!

Support Titan Focus

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno
Not yet. SooonTM... :D

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum

At the moment I think it seems pretty beefy and when there is lots of Titan info to cover I definitely think this will be more than enough to sate the Backstage. To cultivate properly, Backstage will take some time and that means there'll be less time to write for the website, so I think it is important and satisfactory as it is. I guess, personally, I think of it like a Shareholders' conference call - you're reporting back to the users of that section about upcoming plans and allowing them to discuss it and have a say. :)

Also, only thing I can see is... what if you get a huuuuuuge scoop and there is some journalist from another website with Backstage access? Maybe hyper-sensitive stories should be kept away.

EDIT -

Just read the post again properly:

News Preview: I'll write about what articles I'm working on / getting ready to publish and show teaser pics, clues etc

I like this, I like this a lot. It will allow us to continue our speculation after launch about articles instead of what Titan is!

Edited by Euph, 22 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

Euphoric, Titan Fan Fiction. Go read it! 

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Harold Grayson

Be appreciative of today and excited for tomorrow - EuphEmoticon.png

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • Location - County Durham, England, U.K.
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum
At the moment I think it seems pretty beefy and when there is lots of Titan info to cover I definitely think this will be more than enough to sate the Backstage. To cultivate properly, Backstage will take some time and that means there'll be less time to write for the website, so I think it is important and satisfactory as it is. I guess, personally, I think of it like a Shareholders' conference call - you're reporting back to the users of that section about upcoming plans and allowing them to discuss it and have a say. :)

Also, only thing I can see is... what if you get a huuuuuuge scoop and there is some journalist from another website with Backstage access? Maybe hyper-sensitive stories should be kept away.

I doubt that any of the people who have access to backstage (Or will at least) are journalists, it's possible, I guess. But unlikely... I wonder how we could prevent articles, news etc being stolen in the case where someone was a journalist. Any ideas?

Backstage is a limited-access forum section that is intended as a reward for people that contribute in special ways to the TF community.

What does it contain?
  • bonus stuff about TF, like:
    • News Preview: I'll write about what articles I'm working on / getting ready to publish and show teaser pics, clues etc
    • Stats: Interesting stats about the website: traffic, forum activity etc, updated weekly / monthly.
    • TF Daily / Trivia: funny / weird / scary things I notice on the site etc. Also funny / weird / hateful Emails / PMs I get, requests, offers etc. All are anonymous of course.
    • Your take on this: I'll ask feedback on changes or new features I want to add to the site.
    • AMA: got a question related to the site, me or anything in between? Guaranteed response.
    • Tools: software, services or websites I use in building the site or writing the articles.
  • a section where members are free to discuss whatever they want, with very little moderating.
  • guides / tips for following news, writing, Blizzard, certain software etc.
  • More will be added in time. Suggestions are encouraged.

Who has access to it?

• Moderators plus any other Staff members.
  • Members that have earned at least two Forum Awards (subject to change as the feature evolves, changes will not have a retroactive effect though).

Feedback please. :)

Awesome idea Mynsc. Others have brought up about people (journalists) stealing 'scoops' we get, here is my solution to it.

• Early adopters are allowed to have access to the backstage, they are trustworthy (Note: You probably know this but I'll tell you anyway. None of us but you, as far as I know, can access backstage)
  • Staff members, I am assuming they are hand picked by yourself? In which case they are also trustworthy.
  • People with forum awards, maybe it should depend on what the award is? Having two note worthy awards (such as writing fan fic) seems good enough to qualify for back stage access :)
  • Supporters, I'd suggest making sure that they're active on the forums and have a good reputation. Think about it, any journalist could buy the supporters package and get all the scoops we have :)

Disqualifying factor(s):

• You are disqualified permanently from backstage if you have 5 warning posts (10 maybe, I don't know how hard it is to get them). You get suspended every time you get one then once you have 5 you are permanently banned. Note: they should get suspended in increasing severity, for example, the first time you get a 24 hour ban, 48 second time, 72 third time etc until 5 when they are permanently banned.

Note: I may add to this list as I think of other factors.

What do you think Mynsc?

P.S - Mynsc, how do you pronounce Mynsc? It's been weighing on my mind all morning :D

LF S/O WHO CAN MAKE BOMBS AND GOOD FOOD. /W WITH OFFERS. :D

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum
I doubt that any of the people who have access to backstage (Or will at least) are journalists, it's possible, I guess. But unlikely... I wonder how we could prevent articles, news etc being stolen in the case where someone was a journalist. Any ideas?

Awesome idea Mynsc. Others have brought up about people (journalists) stealing 'scoops' we get, here is my solution to it.

• Early adopters are allowed to have access to the backstage, they are trustworthy (Note: You probably know this but I'll tell you anyway. None of us but you, as far as I know, can access backstage)
  • Staff members, I am assuming they are hand picked by yourself? In which case they are also trustworthy.
  • People with forum awards, maybe it should depend on what the award is? Having two note worthy awards (such as writing fan fic) seems good enough to qualify for back stage access :)
  • Supporters, I'd suggest making sure that they're active on the forums and have a good reputation. Think about it, any journalist could buy the supporters package and get all the scoops we have :)

Disqualifying factor(s):

• You are disqualified permanently from backstage if you have 5 warning posts (10 maybe, I don't know how hard it is to get them). You get suspended every time you get one then once you have 5 you are permanently banned. Note: they should get suspended in increasing severity, for example, the first time you get a 24 hour ban, 48 second time, 72 third time etc until 5 when they are permanently banned.

Note: I may add to this list as I think of other factors.

What do you think Mynsc?

P.S - Mynsc, how do you pronounce Mynsc? It's been weighing on my mind all morning :D

I believe you pronounce Mynsc like 'Minsk', if we follow the Wiki article! :p

Anyways, what I would say to this is when I mentioned scoops I'm not talking about every-day editorials, I'm just thinking about if we stumble upon information no one else has. Although, one could argue our goal is just to inform others and we don't always need to take credit for it, but I do also believe in credi where credit is due. Oh, I also want to mention that (and I only just read it myself) the articles won't just be published on their like a noob :D 

News Preview: I'll write about what articles I'm working on / getting ready to publish and show teaser pics, clues etc

In terms of current access, Backstage is meant to be closed for now, no ETA! :D

Also, are 'Early Adopters' trustworthy? Anyone and his mother can sign up now and become an Early Adopter. I think the point about the Backstage shouldn't be about trust, but about how a member has shown some degree of dedication to the website/Titan, I suppose. I personally see it as: A member proves their enthusiasm for the website through posts or registering insanely early, they get to know more about the website and upcoming things.

Let's not get too caught up on Journalists! :p

Notable Threads: Lore Focus: Blizzard and Real-World Mythology ? Lore Focus: Titan, Earth and Mythology ? Gaming Addiction: Do you have it? What is it?

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

Yeah, I don't really want to bother thinking about who might see the info inside the Backstage. I prefer to occupy my time with how I can make the website better rather than making sure no random journalist / competitor can see what i'm doing. If someones does "steal" info from inside the Backstage, I'll deal with the problem when it happens.

P.S - Mynsc, how do you pronounce Mynsc? It's been weighing on my mind all morning

What Euph said. :D

Anyways, what I would say to this is when I mentioned scoops I'm not talking about every-day editorials, I'm just thinking about if we stumble upon information no one else has. Although, one could argue our goal is just to inform others and we don't always need to take credit for it, but I do also believe in credi where credit is due. Oh, I also want to mention that (and I only just read it myself) the articles won't just be published on their like a noob

Yes I'll only publish small teasers, hints. The bigger the news, the more ambiguous my teasers will be. :)

I think the point about the Backstage shouldn't be about trust, but about how a member has shown some degree of dedication to the website/Titan, I suppose. I personally see it as: A member proves their enthusiasm for the website through posts or registering insanely early, they get to know more about the website and upcoming things.

Yup exactly.

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum
I believe you pronounce Mynsc like 'Minsk', if we follow the Wiki article! :p

Anyways, what I would say to this is when I mentioned scoops I'm not talking about every-day editorials, I'm just thinking about if we stumble upon information no one else has. Although, one could argue our goal is just to inform others and we don't always need to take credit for it, but I do also believe in credi where credit is due. Oh, I also want to mention that (and I only just read it myself) the articles won't just be published on their like a noob :D

In terms of current access, Backstage is meant to be closed for now, no ETA! :D

Also, are 'Early Adopters' trustworthy? Anyone and his mother can sign up now and become an Early Adopter. I think the point about the Backstage shouldn't be about trust, but about how a member has shown some degree of dedication to the website/Titan, I suppose. I personally see it as: A member proves their enthusiasm for the website through posts or registering insanely early, they get to know more about the website and upcoming things.

Let's not get too caught up on Journalists! :p

In retrospect, not all early adopters are trust worthy, I didn't think about the fact that anyone can sign up :p stupid me. This is what I get for staying up until 4am on my iPad :D What I meant is someone who shows enthusiasm, dedication and is a well respected member of the community should receive backstage access. It would give people an incentive to take part in the community too!

Euph

Euph
  • Early Adopter
  • 258 posts
Exalted.platinum
In retrospect, not all early adopters are trust worthy, I didn't think about the fact that anyone can sign up :p stupid me. This is what I get for staying up until 4am on my iPad :D What I meant is someone who shows enthusiasm, dedication and is a well respected member of the community should receive backstage access. It would give people an incentive to take part in the community too!

While on the note of enthusiasm, dedication and being well respected... you're really good at those three, Templar, well done! :)

Sorry for the  :offtopic:

One last thing I'd say Backstage could use would be almost a sort of 'Backstage Guest Writer' submission thing. I think it's essential, if we ever do a monthly Guest Writer thing to open up Guest Writer editorials to everyone, but Backstage people could get priority every other month or something? I don't know, I don't like elitism but because a person has shown their chops for the community, getting priority every other month (if their editorial is good enough, if not a normal guest writer can be used) seems like a nice reward.

What think? Too special/Not equal enough? Or, fair is fair?

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum
While on the note of enthusiasm, dedication and being well respected... you're really good at those three, Templar, well done! :)

Sorry for the  :offtopic:

One last thing I'd say Backstage could use would be almost a sort of 'Backstage Guest Writer' submission thing. I think it's essential, if we ever do a monthly Guest Writer thing to open up Guest Writer editorials to everyone, but Backstage people could get priority every other month or something? I don't know, I don't like elitism but because a person has shown their chops for the community, getting priority every other month (if their editorial is good enough, if not a normal guest writer can be used) seems like a nice reward.

It seems fair, every other month or so a special guest could come in and write an article. Or maybe, every week a special guest writer (Someone from the community, obviously. Early adopters would get priority here too) could write a 'This week in TitanFocus...' article which goes over things like the best posts, the funniest etc. Maybe we could give out a special award to the person who is the best that week or month or whatever. It would give some more incentive to be active! Which as I have said before is only good!

Thanks for the kind words Euph :D

mynsc

mynsc
  • Administrator
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location - Romania
  • BT - mynsc#2323
Exalted.GM.Inferno

I think good content is good content, doesn't matter where it's written or by whom. That's why I don't really want to impose any kind of rules or priorities. That being said, if a well-known and accomplished TF member writes something good, you can be sure he'll get a spotlight. I just don't want to create any restrictions or rules when it comes to this.

Except, of course, that we'll probably have some columnists doing their weekly thing. They won't really be guest writers though, they'll be part of the editorial team. It's hard to plan guest writing without making it seem forced. Best way I think is to encourage constructive forum discussions and whenever something very good comes out of the process, build on it / highlight it (as in the case of Slayer's and Rhaiden's leak research) or even promote it is it is straight to the frontpage (like I did with Eremite's article).

At least that's my current view right now.

Templar

Templar
  • Early Adopter
  • 1,287 posts
  • BT - Kerrmy#2146
Exalted.platinum
I think good content is good content, doesn't matter where it's written or by whom. That's why I don't really want to impose any kind of rules or priorities. That being said, if a well-known and accomplished TF member writes something good, you can be sure he'll get a spotlight. I just don't want to create any restrictions or rules when it comes to this.

Except, of course, that we'll probably have some columnists doing their weekly thing. They won't really be guest writers though, they'll be part of the editorial team. It's hard to plan guest writing without making it seem forced. Best way I think is to encourage constructive forum discussions and whenever something very good comes out of the process, build on it / highlight it (as in the case of Slayer's and Rhaiden's leak research) or even promote it is it is straight to the frontpage (like I did with Eremite's article).

At least that's my current view right now.

Shameless plug here but if you're ever looking for someone to write articles / to help write articles, feel free to pm me and ask me. I'd be more than happy to contribute my services. In fact, writing articles relating to gaming and news in general is a specialty of mine. At least according to my English writing (stories, articles etc) teacher :)

Sorry for the :offtopic:

I think we need to refine our ideas and come up with something that suits everybody, we are a community after all! A easy way of doing that could be to hold a meeting (Through the chat room) sometime this weekend (The optimal time as people are not at school or work) so we can discuss it more efficiently.