Change
Photo

Former Blizzard GM drops a few small Titan teasers on reddit. And a bomb.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Dendarang

Dendarang
  • Early Adopter
  • 44 posts
  • Location - Europe
Exalted
@papaz I am also hoping for World War Invitational or the like to be place where they announce Titan. It does kind of make sense, like mynsc explained it, and I agree with him, that will get hype to a ridiculously high level for next years Blizzcon, which would mean huge interest in tickets which would be nice for Blizzard. And also, of course, it would set the eyes of the world, or at lest the gaming press, on Blizzcon and Titan and, it would most likely generate a lot of positive hype (like there is any other) around Titan. A win/win for Blizzard and for us.

I think that Titan's announcement would be similiar to D3's, only tuned to 11. Diablo 3 already had massive fanbase that was still centered around previous installments, so while D3's announcement was long so that they could showcase everything new about it, in particular the 3D engine, a novelty in Diablo series, it still didn't have to explain to people what it is, how does it work and play, or any of the basic gameplay concpets. Which is everything, and even more, that Titan needs to showcase in it's first announcement. I'm guessing we will get plenty of cinematic goodness, maybe several smaller ones showing different regions/races/classes, or one really long showing everything in a sort of more cohesive fashion. That might be some problem but maybe not for Blizzard. On one side, they have been working on the game for five years now, and that is a ton of time in which to develop lore, characters, world, flesh out major events and happenings, major races and important bits and peaces about the world. So, making a cinematic around it doesn't seem like that big of problem. However, on the other hand, they have to develop the entire universe, which, knowing Blizzard, won't merely center on just that one planet that will be playable, assuming they go with WoW's and Diablo's approach. If they make it more Sci-Fi, that will be even more complicated and difficult task of making lore for such a massive universe. And Blizzard's strog suit is making world lore and background, that is what they do best. So, with a completely new MMO that is to be their "next big thing" I don't think think they will leave anything to chance when it comes to the lore of the universe, and risk half-assing it. So, it will be interesting to see how lenght and number of cinematics available upon release of the game.

Regardless of that, though, just seeing the announcement and hearng the real name of the Titan and all that, will be unreal. Hopefully, their PR department will do a good job, because, while Blizzard does have some of the best devs and designers in the industry, their PR, and I am talking specifically about D3 PR as I have followed the game closely since it's original announcement, left much to be desired. Hopefully, we will get something like a page with some artwork and some cryptic message, or maybe even puzzle or something as a hint towards Titan's true name, or something that will generate lot of excitement and give us fans something to do other then just wait.

But, papaz, regarding your comment, I really don't see why WoW has to die before Titan comes to scene. Financially, there really isn't any good reason, or, any good reason I can think of, of why would Blizzard shut down WoW after Titan's release. Yes, Titan is almost guaranteed to exceede WoW in number of subscribers and to cannibalize a large number of subs, but, with some downsizing, WoW can be profitable even at something like 1m to 2m, or less, subs. Also, people have put tremendous amount of time and effort into WoW, and have grown quite attached to their characters there and all the progress that they have made over the last seven, more or less, years. Some, relatively speaking, "ancient", MMOs are still up, like Ultima Online, who, by the way, is apperantly still doing well enough that it still has subscription cost, though I am not sure what the exact number is. And that game came out, I think it was around 1998. That's twice WoW's age. Yes, WoW won't be top MMO in the world for more then few more years, and it will most likely be "defeated" by Titan, but there is no reason to expect WoW to just disappear. One thing I forgot to mention, I've seen some comments, on other sites, suggets sort of dual subscription system, both Titan and WoW have, for example 15$ a month fee, but Blizz could probably give some form of system where you play 20$ or 25$ a month and get access to both games. That would still give them profit, and would give people incentive not to completely abandon their WoW accounts, and would bring players to both games.

@mynsc Thank you for explaining it. You don't have to remove it, it isn't a bad feature, and as the site grows, especially after Titan is officialy announced, there will probably be some need for disciplinery measures, I just wasn't aware of it's function. Also, thank you for explaining the like system.

Sarnakyle

Sarnakyle
  • Global Moderator
  • 863 posts
  • Location - United States
Exalted.GM.nightmare
@dendarang

Stop making me "like" your posts and aid to my own demise as the current like king (save for mynsc of course) lol

Anyway Bliz has stated that WoW and Titan will be able to co-exist, so there shall be no death of WoW for, hell I dunno, ever. There is going to be a relatively large fan base for quite some time due to the fact that people have invested their lives in that game, as you stated above. That being said, I don't know if I disagree with papaz on his statement about them wanting that last WoW expansion out before Titan. From a financal stand point, you are going to sell a lot more copies of the X-pac because people will play it in the meantime while they wait for Titan. The number of people that are going to drop WoW will be staggering but I'm willing to bet they play it right up until Titans realese. So why not drop the X-pac a year/8 months before to try and get as many people to buy it as possible?

Going back to the older post about Bliz saving game features for Titan I often wondered why they cut current things from D3, for example the anamated death scenes. They announced those early in the dev period but then they got cut last minute cuz it "was not ready". I wonder if they are saving it for Titan?

Useful Links: Rules --- Awards --- Titan FAQ --- Twitter --- Support TF

Dendarang

Dendarang
  • Early Adopter
  • 44 posts
  • Location - Europe
Exalted
@Sarmakyle Well, I'm certianly glad that my posts are considered informative, but to bring balance to the force, I am liking all your posts on this page.

As far as cutting feautures from WoW for Titan, well, considering how secrative Blizzard tends to be, D3 devs were actually incredibly communicative and open for Blizzard standards, normally devs like to work and do their thing in quite, so, we don't, and probably will never know, how much was really cut or withheld from WoW in favor of Titan. But, considering WoW's popularity which obviously comes from it's current features, and it's technical limitations, it makes sense to hold back some more innovative or cool new features and not use them in WoW, and incorporate them into Titan. Another thing is, Titan will be built around a lot of "next-gen" features, and, whether that means greater interaction with the game world, more "life" and lifelike actions and behaviour from various NPCs, etc. That will all allow for very natural integration of those features into Titan, wheres in WoW, as much as I love the game, it would be like patching old cloth. WoW is obviously old, so, great deal of features included in later expansion packs serve as a way of modernising the game, the most prominent of which is the phasing which they included to offset the fact that WoW's world is so static and unchanging, which was also common complaint from players in vanilla and TBC.

Specifically about removal of death animations, while they never states clearly why they were cut and only cited lack of time, I think that we can believe them and say that it was actually a lack of time that prevented special death animations from being included in the game. While I am not game developer and have never claimed otherwise, I do know enough to release that game development is a hierarchical process. In other for devs to work on one system, they have to complete all the systems that will be required for that to work. In this specific case, in order to make those special death animations that looked so awesome in 2008 presentation, they had to have completed all classes, that means all textures, animations and all possible graphics for all the classes. Because all the classes will be wearing some items, they also had to have finilized all graphics for items. And they had to have all of them completed to the point that they could work on interaction between the boss and the character. And they had to have all the bosses specifically animated for all that. Any of those alone wasn't much of a challange, and, had they had all prerequisits, it probably wouldn't have been that much of a problem. But, they didn't. We know for a fact that they didn't have all classes finished untill February 2010, when male Demon Hunter was finally revealed. And they didn't have all Legendary items completed untill sometime in 2011. And all the other stuff that they had to do.

But, still they probably could have made it, but, I do not have insider info but I don't think it is necessary, it simply wasn't a high priority. I think it was much higher priority to make varied normal death animations which the players would see all the time versus special death animations that the players would see so very rarely. And therein lies the greatest issue. Tuning those animations. Simply, if they tuned them that they happened all the time, it would greatly diminish the "HOLY CRAP; I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING" effect, which is the whole point of special death animations. Whereas, if they made them so rare that they were seen 1% or less, of the time, their rarity wouldn't justify all the resources, time of which is the most important, that went into their creation.

And last, but not least, I want to thank you for your friend request. I believe I have accepted, and it is appreciated.

Terminator

Terminator
  • Early Adopter
  • 1 posts
Neutral

How long did WoW take?

I think it sounds quite reasonable to show it off 2015 and maybe release it 2017 - 2018 just basing that on that the game should take 7-8 to develop starting in 2010.

Titan developing was started in 2007. 8 years is 2015. I do not think it will be 2017 or 2018 that would be 10-11 years. 2015 likely for PC release that will come before other release I guess. If there will be a console release then my best guess is that will be later then PC release and console players will not be able to play with PC players.

When is Titan announced at least officially WHAT it really is? My guess Blizzcon 2013, but I am not sure of it. There will be no Blizzcon held at 2012. However if I am correct then do not expect a release date announcment in 2013 Blizzcon. Likely Blizzard will have policy of release date: "when it is done". Hopefully we can get some real news directly from Blizzard in 2013 about Titan.

If there is no new news in 2013, then I am afraid even 2015 might be to early expected release date. On the positive side in Blizzcon 2013 might finally be confirmed some rumors etc.

Yes I have read daeity.blogspot.se rumors. That said they those are rumors and some of them wild speculation. I rather listen what Blizzard confirms to be certainly true. I am not saying everything that blog says is false but I find it unlikely every speculation would be true. For starters on the question will Titan eat some of the WOW population that was asked in Blizzcon 2011 the answer was a yes, but many players might play many games and I am sure some players play both Diablo 3 and WOW. Titan is not going to be a WOW killer(in such a way that WOW dies) and of course Blizzard want them to coexist, but there will be some crossover.

As for the term WOW killer comes originally from a long time ago(maybe 2010) when a Blizzard BOSS said that he hopes that Titan will become WOW killer(means the most popular MMO and not kill WOW). During year 2010 WOW was at peak popularity with 12 million active players.

Odysseus

Odysseus
  • Early Adopter
  • 129 posts
Exalted.silver
Found a confirmation from a Blizzard employee that do they do indeed have something called 'show and tell.'

"Watching our company show and tell makes me sad that I spend so much time working I don't have time to play our games"